Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r View Post
They had a nice sense of timing together and played well against each other. It is a shame that they only had one season together.
Of course, in NuWho, that's pretty standard.

Season 1: Rose/Eccleston
Season 2: Rose/Tennant
Season 3: Martha/Tennant
Season 4: Donna/Tennant
Only in 5 and 6 do we get a two-season pairing with Smith/Amy.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

David Tennant & cast & crew do music vid of The Proclaimers:

http://io9.com/5854705/a-charming-mu...-who/gallery/1

(Rian, you might like this)
Old 12-21-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
David Tennant & cast & crew do music vid of The Proclaimers:

http://io9.com/5854705/a-charming-mu...-who/gallery/1

(Rian, you might like this)
thanks for the link - wonderful!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Also this: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/...ho-wrap-party/
Old 11-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
A nice song by David, John, and Catherine. I thought it was funny and well produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
the doctor who cast and crew special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s4Czla6tXc
It seems that you and Nerdanel have the same good taste.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
It seems that you and Nerdanel have the same good taste.
Bah! I am too important to read other peoples' links!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:02 AM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

ok, a brit friend of mine on another board told me that the new dr who christmas special is based on the lion, witch and wardrobe - interesting ... but why isn't it on my tv schedule here?! when do we get to see it?

(not that I'm reconciled to Matt Smith yet ... I've given him a lot of chances, but ... eh ... )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
ok, a brit friend of mine on another board told me that the new dr who christmas special is based on the lion, witch and wardrobe - interesting ... but why isn't it on my tv schedule here?! when do we get to see it?

(not that I'm reconciled to Matt Smith yet ... I've given him a lot of chances, but ... eh ... )
In the USA Doctor Who is on at 21:00 EST on Christmas night.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 12-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe (2011) Christmas special

First impressions:

It was an interesting episode.

The title gave me the impression that it would be related to the CS Lewis story.
The story had some references to TLWW, but otherwise it was a Doctor Who episode.

I did not care much for the drop to Earth. It stretched my sense of believability a bit. Madge and the children were fun to watch.

I liked the doctor as caretaker of the house. The repairs he made usually were interesting and fun outcomes. I loved the Christmas tree.

I would not like to sleep in a hammock. It makes my back scream out in protest. I guess a hammock would have been cool as a kid. I liked the bear in the blanket routine.

The trees in the other world were cool. I liked the tree creatures. They had a nice look.

The story with the tree harvesters was enough to move the story.

The message about being alone during Christmas was well done and the ending was nice.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
First impressions:

It was an interesting episode.

The title gave me the impression that it would be related to the CS Lewis story.
The story had some references to TLWW, but otherwise it was a Doctor Who episode.

I did not care much for the drop to Earth. It stretched my sense of believability a bit. Madge and the children were fun to watch.

I liked the doctor as caretaker of the house. The repairs he made usually were interesting and fun outcomes. I loved the Christmas tree.

I would not like to sleep in a hammock. It makes my back scream out in protest. I guess a hammock would have been cool as a kid. I liked the bear in the blanket routine.

The trees in the other world were cool. I liked the tree creatures. They had a nice look.

The story with the tree harvesters was enough to move the story.

The message about being alone during Christmas was well done and the ending was nice.
Thought it was OK. Not great, but some good bits, and worth watching. Maybe Steven Moffat has a finite amount of Great Writing in him and used a lot of it up on 'Sherlock' - the opening episode of Series 2 went out on New Year's Day and was stunningly good.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken View Post
Thought it was OK. Not great, but some good bits, and worth watching. Maybe Steven Moffat has a finite amount of Great Writing in him and used a lot of it up on 'Sherlock' - the opening episode of Series 2 went out on New Year's Day and was stunningly good.
yeah, well, i never expect too much from the christmas specials... they always seem to be aimed towards a wider audience than those who usually watch doctor who. considering that, i thought it was a decent episode. i might also be scarred by that blowing-things-up-with-love horrible stuff, so now my expectations are reasonably low. it's too bad, though, i always really loved moffatt's stuff when he was not the main writer/executive producer.

but awesome to hear that there's more sherlock happening! 8)

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Nerdanel

ok, this actually has nothing to with doctor who, it's just an awesome clip of pelicans and flying rays (yes, actual rays above water. voluntarily.), narrated by david tennant.

awesomeness.

http://youtu.be/nHrrS_hOnZw

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #13
Rían

Quote:
ok, this actually has nothing to with doctor who, it's just an awesome clip of pelicans and flying rays (yes, actual rays above water. voluntarily.), narrated by david tennant.

awesomeness.

http://youtu.be/nHrrS_hOnZw
That is so cool! I'm happy to see anything with David Tennant (I would watch a documentary on paint drying narrated by David Tennant!)

Xmas special started out good, kinda fizzled out near the end, but the thing that I really loved was the music ... anyone else like the music?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I Earthflight.

I had almost not recognised his voice. His speechpattern in DW is so different from what a documentary needs.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I Earthflight.

I had almost not recognised his voice. His speechpattern in DW is so different from what a documentary needs.
yeah, and his accent is not as strong in doctor who - which is too bad

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 01-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
Earniel

Yes, I was quite surprised how much control he has over the accent in Tooth and Claw, one of the earlier Tennant episodes (and one of my faves).
Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Rían

Quote:
yeah, and his accent is not as strong in doctor who - which is too bad
That was a deliberate choice to keep a little continuity - and besides, a thick Scots accent is really hard to understand! (although his is very understandable)

I'm sure that episode of DW was really fun for him - getting to speak naturally.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #18
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
That is so cool! I'm happy to see anything with David Tennant (I would watch a documentary on paint drying narrated by David Tennant!)

Xmas special started out good, kinda fizzled out near the end, but the thing that I really loved was the music ... anyone else like the music?
I liked the music. I agree that the story was weaker towards the end. The military guys did not make much sense and there was little background information given about them. They seemed to be a convenient way for mom to get a vehicle to use for getting to her kids quickly.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
Rían

Just thinking as I'm waiting for the new season - maybe part of what made David Tennant so great as DW is that he really loved the series so much growing up. OTOH, Matt Smith hadn't even seen a DW episode until he got cast (or maybe was in the casting process, don't remember. but certainly not before that). I think it just shows that Tennant feels at home in and loves the Whoniverse, while Matt Smith seems to be coming at it from the outside, so to speak.

I'm starting to get my older sister interested in DW, and am choosing episodes for her to watch. Of course I always recommend "Blink" first, and she really liked it. I think I'll do "Rose" next, because I think it's an important background-setting episode as well as a good episode in itself (the plastic Mickey is hysterical!) Then I thought perhaps "The End of the World", because it was Rose's first trip in the Tardis, and I love that episode, too (who wouldn't love Cassandra? ) Then I picked out a few more, and lo and behold, they were all Eccleston's!

I'm starting to appreciate Eccleston's episodes more and more. Although I like Tennant better as the Doctor, I think Eccleston's episodes are pretty brilliant overall, and very funny, too. Anyway, any recommendations for my sister in the Doctor 9/10 series? I think I'll do Eccleston's first two, as a good background, then perhaps another Tennant ...

Old 03-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #20
Earniel

"Tooth and Claw" was a very good one, early Tennant. "Dalek" is a good one from Eccleston. I haven't seen any of the 11th Doctor yet.