Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-10-2004, 03:34 PM   #1
Sween
im quite stupid

The last 3 to be made?

It is stated in the Sil that the 3 elven rings were the last 3 to be made before Sauron took up the one ring. Now were these the fullfilment of the Elves or mearly as all there perdecessors mear triffals in craft? I mean surly they ment to make better or as powerfull rings for differents purposes? If so what do you think they would of been?
Old 11-10-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The Three were the most powerful rings that the elves made. They were, in fact, successful in doing what the elves wanted all along - allowing their wielder to hold back time and keep things they way that they wanted them to be. This is what allowed Elrond and Galadrial to maintain Rivendell and Lorien, respectively.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I suspect that there was a learning curve for Elven smiths just like for any craft. The Rings would have been improved on with each repetition until the culmination of the Three. I further suspect that the Sixteen were variably powerful until Sauron corrupted them, making them homogenous, more or less.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:12 AM   #4
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
I suspect that there was a learning curve for Elven smiths just like for any craft. The Rings would have been improved on with each repetition until the culmination of the Three. I further suspect that the Sixteen were variably powerful until Sauron corrupted them, making them homogenous, more or less.

Yeah but my point is after ther three were made was that the end of the matter? did they not intend to make anymore? i mean thats is a completally hypothetical thread but its intresting to think what they might make and if they could of made a ring so potent to acctuaolly challenge the one
Old 11-11-2004, 04:23 AM   #5
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I think there's a reference somewhere that when Sauron made the One, Celebrimbor became aware of him and his intent regarding the bearers of the other rings.

It would make sense, then, that the Elves realised that they had been partly duped into making these Rings, and that they made them vulnerable to Sauron. Hence, perhaps, it would be too risky to make any more.

However, there are strong hints in the Hobbit and LOTR that there were other, lesser Rings in existence.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 01:35 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

If by 'strong hints' you mean 'flat out declarations' then yes.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Sween
im quite stupid

But if he had delayed making the one how many rings of power more would of been made?
Old 11-11-2004, 03:23 PM   #8
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Few if any I'd say. For in The Sil it says that Feanor could not make the Silmaril's like ever again so it is likely that Celebrimbor couldn't make any Rings of that power ever again.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:06 PM   #9
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Few if any I'd say. For in The Sil it says that Feanor could not make the Silmaril's like ever again so it is likely that Celebrimbor couldn't make any Rings of that power ever again.
Agree, to impart "magic" you are imparting much of your natural essence (Sauron being a classic example). It would have just taken too much out of Celebrimbor to have made any more powerful Rings comparable to the 3 that he, alone made.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:25 PM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I think that any ring the Elves would make after the forging of the One Ring would always be overruled by the One Ring. It's then kind of pointless to make other rings, IMO.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #11
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I think that any ring the Elves would make after the forging of the One Ring would always be overruled by the One Ring. It's then kind of pointless to make other rings, IMO.
I agree. Whatever technique Sauron taught them was obviously designed to have this one key put in its lock, so any future rings made would always be subject to the One, absent radical new technique.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:23 PM   #12
Sween
im quite stupid

You have all clearly missed the point somewhat! the point is what would of happened if sauron had delayed taking up the one ring? what other ringts would the elves of made or was that the end of the matter? were the three the culmination of all there desires or was there more for them to set there mind one. was sauron rather hasty to take up and make the one?
Old 11-14-2004, 06:36 PM   #13
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sween
You have all clearly missed the point somewhat! the point is what would of happened if sauron had delayed taking up the one ring? what other ringts would the elves of made or was that the end of the matter? were the three the culmination of all there desires or was there more for them to set there mind one. was sauron rather hasty to take up and make the one?
Interesting point, Sween.

Considering that Tolkien said that the elves have some part of the guilt for trying to alter the world with the rings, we can suppose that although Sauron had not created the One the elves would keep forging more powerful rings able to alter the world into something more similar to their beloved "paradises lost": Beleriand, Tol Eressëa or Valinor... and that could be a bad thing for humans or dwarfs.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:16 PM   #14
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sween
You have all clearly missed the point somewhat!
Oh. Eh. Sorry. Supposing Sauron hadn't made the One Ring, I think the Elves would have continued forging rings. I don't think the Three was the best they could do.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:28 AM   #15
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I think Telcontar_Dunedain is making a valid point here.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:54 PM   #16
Attalus

So, you all think that the Three were like Gleowine's elegy of Theoden, and he would have made no rings afterward? I don't agree. I think he would have gone on making Rings, for that was his besetting sin, to make artefacts that would make Middle-earth more like Valinor. I'm not sure that would be bad for Men, Dwarves, and Hobbits, though. They all admired Lothlorien and Imladris and wanted to stay in those places as long as possible.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:57 PM   #17
Earniel

I wouldn't call it his sin, but I agree he wouldn't have stopped making Rings. The Silmarils could not be remade (and not only because the Trees were lost) but I always had the impression the smiths of Eregion were not yet to their master piece in Ringcraft when Sauron made the One Ring.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:01 PM   #18
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
well i guess it would only make sense that the elven rings were forged last so that the craft could be perfected, because it was the elves who got tricked into making the rings to begin with
Old 12-11-2004, 04:21 PM   #19
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I think they would have gone on, making rings. Feanor could never make comparsions to the Sils again, but as I see it, this don't work with Celebrimbor. the rings he made, even the three elven rings, can't be compared to the three sils in beauty nor perfection. I think he would have made more, but maybe after a time, he also would have been exasuted. but in the meantime, he would have gone on making rings. I don't think the three rings are the best that could be made. But for what purpose they should be made, I don't know.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:51 PM   #20
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Hm. This is probably a somewhat different take on it:

warning: Random Thought

Could Sauron have waited any longer to make the One Ring? Assuming that the Three were not the apex of Celebrimbor's skill (probably speculation either way), most likely any that were made afterwards would be even more powerful.

The smiths of Eregion had Sauron's help in the forging of all the rings save for the last three, right? IMHO, the Elves seem to constantly be getting more independent in their work... The last three Sauron never even touched. However, they were still bound to the One.

Would it have possibly been otherwise if Celebrimbor had gotten any better at creating the Rings?

Hey, btw, does anyone know if the Nine and the Seven were of equal strength?

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 12-11-2004 at 04:54 PM.
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote