Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Probably Second Age - I was thinking of them visiting Lorien and Greenwood and maybe Rivendell and/or Eregion. I'm rusty on my dates, but I think mid-S.A. might work.

Non-Elven characters would be workable, although it would take some doing, esp. since there's a lot of travel and Elves are the hardier travellers. But I'm very open to any workable ideas, and can make the elves the type that are interested in other races.

But I haven't seen much interest in this style of RPG so far, so maybe it just isn't a good time now.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Probably Second Age - I was thinking of them visiting Lorien and Greenwood and maybe Rivendell and/or Eregion. I'm rusty on my dates, but I think mid-S.A. might work.
That sounds feasable. Might be interesting to see how the Elven realms were pre-ring era.

Quote:
Non-Elven characters would be workable, although it would take some doing, esp. since there's a lot of travel and Elves are the hardier travellers. But I'm very open to any workable ideas, and can make the elves the type that are interested in other races.
I mostly asked because I know not everyone is interested in playing Elves. Dwarves might be a stretch too far, but Númenoreans, from before the fall for example, could be acceptable companions for Elves.

Quote:
But I haven't seen much interest in this style of RPG so far, so maybe it just isn't a good time now.
You might have scared them off with the long example post. I dare say it's a little more advanced writing than what most of the usual RP crowd here is used to. So it may be advisable to eventually start out (if enough people can be found) with shorter posts and work up from there. But who knows, given some more time, you might get some more interest.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
You might have scared them off with the long example post. I dare say it's a little more advanced writing than what most of the usual RP crowd here is used to. So it may be advisable to eventually start out (if enough people can be found) with shorter posts and work up from there. But who knows, given some more time, you might get some more interest.
I'm interested, to some extent - I like the more substantial posts better than the very short ones we often get in traditional RPGs. What scares me is not so much the long post as such, but the request that we try to post something like that EVERY WEEK. Although I see your point - posting once a month isn't very conductive to the flow of a story.

But if we can emphasize the TRY TO, and perhaps start with something not quite as ambitious, lengthwise, the idea appeals to me ...

And as always I'm then thinking which of my family members could be suitable for being put into such a story.

One of my main characters, Rameldir, is himself a survivor of Gondolin - but he's not a wandering soul, he's well established in Elvish high society. First in the court of Gil-galad at Lindon, and later with Elrond at Rivendell, if this is later than SA 1697, when Rivendell was established. They would meet him and have some interesting talks, I'm sure, but he wouldn't be part of the group.

Then I've got a couple of survivors from Nargothrond - but they are happily married by mid-SA, and not feeling any need for such a journey. They have got a daughter, though - would she be a possible candidate for joining the group? She is born early SA, so she is not one of the survivors herself. I haven't played her anywhere, only her future husband and daughter - so she could be played by several writers without me necessarily feeling too possessive of her.

Or I suppose I could even create someone completely new - preferably another survivor of Nargothrond, though. Brother of the happy wife and uncle of the daughter.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote