Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

LoTR Discussion: Appendix D

Appendix D: Calendars

Oi. The calendars. When I took on this assignment, I thought "How Great! An opportunity to really dig into Tolkien's calendrics and see how he uses medieval and ancient calendars here and what he does!" I still think it a great opportunity, unfortunately I'm not up to the challenge at the moment. So for what its worth, here's my discussion.

The appendix opens with the Shire Calendar and some explanation of it. The hobbits adopted and then adapted the calendar of the Numenoreans, the calendar of Arnor specifically and it was called the King's Reckoning. Shire years were calculated from the founding of the Shire, however, rather than in Numenorean years. Each year has 12 months, each month 4 weeks, each week 7 days, sounding very like our current calendar. However, every month has 30 days. In order to make up a full year of 365 days, there are 5 days that belong to no months. Two occur at the end/beginning of the year: Yule 1 and Yule 2 occurring between the last day of the calendar and the first day of the New Year. 3 others occur at mid-year: Lithe, Mid-Year's Day, and Lithe 2. In leap years, an extra day was added here, called Overlithe and was a special holiday. This means that every year each day will fall on the same day of the week without fail.

The names of the months as given in the calendar are said to be derived from the men of the Vales of the Anduin among whom the hobbts once lived before migrating over the Misty Mtns. Interestingly enough the names of the months correspond to those the Venerable Bede gives for the months in Anglo-Saxon England in Bede's _The Reckoning of Time_ The names of the days roughly correspond to ours, and are said to derive ultimately from the elves through the Dunedain calendar adopted for Shire Reckoning. The week worked somewhat differently so that Saturday is the first day of the week, and Friday, after noon esp. was a time of feasting and relaxation, so that Thursday then was essentially as our Friday. The seven day Hobbit week was taken over from the Dunedain, who themselves took it from the Eldar, with an innovation. The Eldar have a six day week, each day named after something known to the elves: the Stars, the Sun, the Moon, the 2 Trees, Heaven, and the Valar. The Dunedain added a seventh named after the Sea, and Tresday was altered to refer to the White Tree only. The Hobbits' names of the weekdays: Sterrendei, Sunnendei, Monendei, Trewesdei, Hevensdei, Meresdei, Highdei which at the Time of the War of the Ring had become Sterday, Sunday, Monday, Trewsday, Hevensday or Hensday, Mersday, Highday.

On a different note, one can see that Tolkien is having us on a little by deriving modern English weekday names as if they from the Elves and Dunedain, and one can see with his derivation how very believable it is! As Shippey would say, a philologists joke.

The Dunedain's calendar differs little from the Shire's beyond what was already noted. Shire Reckoning of course is so called because it counts years from the foundation of the Shire. Both started the year in midwinter, and had a week of 7 days, and 365 days a year. The Nemenorean months were little different: 12, ten of which had 30 days, 2 of 31, and 3 days of the year belonged to no month: the first day of the year, Mid-Year Day, and the last day of the year. Every fourth year, 2 "middle days" were observed. Years were counted from Second Age 1, the founding of Numenor. This was known in Middle Earth as the King's Reckoning. Mardil the Steward made seom calendrical reforms to correct a deficit, and over corrected it. This revised calendar was known as the Steward's Reckoning. In this calendar all the months were 30 days with 2 days belonging to no month, one inserted in the Spring and one in the Autumn in addition to the three days of the King's Reckoning.

The Eldar measured things in longer periods of time. Their yen is 144 of our years (the elves seem to like counting by sixes and twelves). A day of the sun was called re and was from sunset to sunset rather than sunrise to sunrise as the Hobbits and Dunedain counted. IN a yen there werew 52596 days. The elves observed a six day week, "more for ritual than practical purposes, and in a yen there were 8,766 weeks or enquie. The elves of Middle Earth observed a "sun-round" or year or loa (growth) noting the seasonal changes of vegetation. The loa consisted of 6 units: spring, summer, autumn, fading, winter, and stirring. Fading in Sindarin was alsocalled "leaf-fall".

In the interests of getting this up, and because I can't think of anything to ask, I'll go ahead and post this. Let discussion ensue!
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

I personally find this topic boring, s i can see why there are no specific questions
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
captain carrot
Elven Warrior

do you 'jammi567'?

then why do you not go somewhere else with your short attention span and vitriol?

This Forkbeard gives their time and thought and you -
captain carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #4
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkbeard
Appendix D: Calendars

Oi. The calendars. When I took on this assignment, I thought "How Great! An opportunity to really dig into Tolkien's calendrics and see how he uses medieval and ancient calendars here and what he does!" I still think it a great opportunity, unfortunately I'm not up to the challenge at the moment. So for what its worth, here's my discussion.

The appendix opens with the Shire Calendar and some explanation of it. The hobbits adopted and then adapted the calendar of the Numenoreans, the calendar of Arnor specifically and it was called the King's Reckoning. Shire years were calculated from the founding of the Shire, however, rather than in Numenorean years. Each year has 12 months, each month 4 weeks, each week 7 days, sounding very like our current calendar. However, every month has 30 days. In order to make up a full year of 365 days, there are 5 days that belong to no months. Two occur at the end/beginning of the year: Yule 1 and Yule 2 occurring between the last day of the calendar and the first day of the New Year. 3 others occur at mid-year: Lithe, Mid-Year's Day, and Lithe 2. In leap years, an extra day was added here, called Overlithe and was a special holiday. This means that every year each day will fall on the same day of the week without fail.

The names of the months as given in the calendar are said to be derived from the men of the Vales of the Anduin among whom the hobbts once lived before migrating over the Misty Mtns. Interestingly enough the names of the months correspond to those the Venerable Bede gives for the months in Anglo-Saxon England in Bede's _The Reckoning of Time_ The names of the days roughly correspond to ours, and are said to derive ultimately from the elves through the Dunedain calendar adopted for Shire Reckoning. The week worked somewhat differently so that Saturday is the first day of the week, and Friday, after noon esp. was a time of feasting and relaxation, so that Thursday then was essentially as our Friday. The seven day Hobbit week was taken over from the Dunedain, who themselves took it from the Eldar, with an innovation. The Eldar have a six day week, each day named after something known to the elves: the Stars, the Sun, the Moon, the 2 Trees, Heaven, and the Valar. The Dunedain added a seventh named after the Sea, and Tresday was altered to refer to the White Tree only. The Hobbits' names of the weekdays: Sterrendei, Sunnendei, Monendei, Trewesdei, Hevensdei, Meresdei, Highdei which at the Time of the War of the Ring had become Sterday, Sunday, Monday, Trewsday, Hevensday or Hensday, Mersday, Highday.

On a different note, one can see that Tolkien is having us on a little by deriving modern English weekday names as if they from the Elves and Dunedain, and one can see with his derivation how very believable it is! As Shippey would say, a philologists joke.

The Dunedain's calendar differs little from the Shire's beyond what was already noted. Shire Reckoning of course is so called because it counts years from the foundation of the Shire. Both started the year in midwinter, and had a week of 7 days, and 365 days a year. The Nemenorean months were little different: 12, ten of which had 30 days, 2 of 31, and 3 days of the year belonged to no month: the first day of the year, Mid-Year Day, and the last day of the year. Every fourth year, 2 "middle days" were observed. Years were counted from Second Age 1, the founding of Numenor. This was known in Middle Earth as the King's Reckoning. Mardil the Steward made seom calendrical reforms to correct a deficit, and over corrected it. This revised calendar was known as the Steward's Reckoning. In this calendar all the months were 30 days with 2 days belonging to no month, one inserted in the Spring and one in the Autumn in addition to the three days of the King's Reckoning.

The Eldar measured things in longer periods of time. Their yen is 144 of our years (the elves seem to like counting by sixes and twelves). A day of the sun was called re and was from sunset to sunset rather than sunrise to sunrise as the Hobbits and Dunedain counted. IN a yen there werew 52596 days. The elves observed a six day week, "more for ritual than practical purposes, and in a yen there were 8,766 weeks or enquie. The elves of Middle Earth observed a "sun-round" or year or loa (growth) noting the seasonal changes of vegetation. The loa consisted of 6 units: spring, summer, autumn, fading, winter, and stirring. Fading in Sindarin was alsocalled "leaf-fall".

In the interests of getting this up, and because I can't think of anything to ask, I'll go ahead and post this. Let discussion ensue!
I actually like the idea of 5 days that did not belong to any months.
It would keep the months uniform. (30 days each)

I never bothered reading on how elves keep track of time.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:38 AM   #5
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Ok, kids, if all goes according to plan, I will have the last analysis on the last appendices up tomorrow.
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I like the way Tolkien makes a distinction between the Elfish manner of reckoning that relies much on variants of 6, which I found really, really weird. Reckoning in fives somehow seems to make more sense. Nice touch to have the Numenoreans introduce a sea-day to be able to make a comparison to our modern 7-day-week.

But the calendars always rather confused me. On one hand, they look interesting but on the other, I never remember what's what and how the calendars exactly differ from one another. Yules and lithes and midyears day all end up in one big mixed heap. So personally, I tend to [skip] the calendar-appendix when re-reading.

I suppose we might have had a little more discussion if we had included the C appendix with the family trees. (I didn't see it included anywhere.)
Old 01-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Maybe we SHOULD have done one on Appendix C. I suppose we sort of skipped that because it's just... there! Not a lot to discuss...

Or IS there?

Maybe it would be of interest to talk about the various relations shown. Would YOU Like to start that thread, Earniel? You could just start it here, or else in the regular LOTR Book Forum.

PS: I've managed to keep the calendars a bit straight. Really, the Numenorean and Shire calendars are very similar. Going from the Numenorean to the Shire, you just take the two extra days of Jan & Dec, and make them the Yule Days, then take the two extra days of June & July, toss in Mid-years Day - and make those the Lithe Days, then exclude one day from being a weekday, and voila! - Shire Calendar!

The Elf Calendar is indeed VERY different - and it took a lot of great observation and creativity - and a good deal of diligence - to work it all out. Especially since JRRT didn't have the computer resources we have today - or even a pocket calculator! As to the number six - different cultures have different numbers that are significant to them. I've heard that among American Indians - or at least some branches of them (I think the Navajo, in particular) - the number FOUR has a lot of significance.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Well, I might as well, I suppose. If only for continuity's sake.