Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

LOTR Discussion: Appendix B - The Tale of Years

Appendix B – The Tale of Years

Introduction:

Appendix A gives a broad general account of events and peoples in the historical background of Middle Earth. Appendix B however, gives very specific information on when many of these things happened. As a “chronicle of years” Appendix B can be somewhat tedious to just read straight through – but you should try it at least once. As a reference however, it’s invaluable – and it give us further glimpses of how thoroughly JRR Tolkien had developed historical Middle Earth.

The Ages:

First Age – We learn little more of this time here – no dates or years. Just that there was a great Battle, after which many Noldor and Sindar (Elves both) went into the Far West.
Second Age – This ended with the first overthrow of Sauron and the taking of the One Ring.
Third Age – This ended with the War of the Ring – but was not considered truly over until the departure of Elrond from Middle Earth.
Fourth Age – This was the time for the dominion of Men and the decline of other ‘speaking peoples’ in Middle Earth.

The Second Age:

Narrative – We’re initially told that these years were dark times for the men of Middle Earth, but years of glory for Numenor. We’re also told of Elven Lords: Thanduil in the north of Greenwood the Great, Gil-galad in Lindon and Celeborn and Galadriel in Lorien. Galdriel is said to be sister of a “Finrod Felagund” who gave his life to save Beren. In this age some of the Noldor moved near to the Misty Mountains and founded Eregion near the Dwarven realm of Moria – for the Dwarves had found Mithril there. Celebrimbor, a descendant of Feanor, was King in Eregion.

Next follows a timeline from the founding of Lindon and the Grey Havens in year 1 to the overthrow of Sauron in 3441.

Note how the timeline shifts in focus. Initially it is more Elven-centered – but becomes much more centered on Numenor as the years of the Second Age progress.

The Third Age:

Narrative – We’re told that these are fading years for the Eldar. They wield their Three Rings, but attempt nothing new. Eventually evil begins to stir once more – and dragons come forth to plunder the ancient treasures of the Dwarves. About 1000 years into this ago, the Istari, or Wizards, arrive from the Far West – and among them are Saruman and Gandalf. The Three Elven Rings were initially in the keeping of Gil-galad, Cirdan and Galadriel. Gil-galad gave his to Elrond – and when Gandalf arrived in Lindon from the West, Cirdan gave him his own Ring to support him in his labours.

Next follows a timeline from the last actions of Isildur to his death in year 2 to year 3017 when Gollum is taken by Aragorn and left in the keeping of Thranduil, and when Gandalf reads the scroll of Isildur in Minas Tirith.

The dates here largely chronicle the rise and fall of Gondor. There are increased events involving Gollum, Rohan and the Dwarves in latter part. Also the births of many major characters are given - and even those of some minor ones we don’t meet in the story (like Finduilas, wife of Denethor, and Gilraen, mother of Aragorn).

The Great Years:

This section chronicles the main events of LOTR by exact date from Gandalf’s arrival in Hobbiton on April 12, 3018, up to the Ring’s destruction on March 25, 3019.

Note that there’s a February 29 and 30 – not a mistake – we’ll get to that when we cover Appendix D.

A narrative follows which gives resolution to the War of the Ring. Accounts of war at other places are given, including; Lorien, Mirkwood and Dale-Erebor.

Chief Days from the Fall of the Barad-dur to the End of the Third Age:

Chronicle of main events by exact date after the Ring’s destruction – from March 27, 3019, to the departure of the Ringbearers from the Havens and Sam’s return to Bag End on October 6, 3021.

Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring:

Chronicle of the next 120 years (in Shire Reckoning) – we learn the fates of Sam, Pippin, Merry, Eomer, Legolas & Gimli – and that Aragorn’s passing, recorded in Appendix A – had come on his 210th birthday.

- - - - - - -

Discussion Questions:

1. If you’re familiar with Appendix B – had you actually read through it, or just used it as a reference?
2. What, if anything, is most striking to you – as far as when it happens, or for what duration?
3. Do you notice any “clusters of activity” – lots of things happening around the same time?
4. What historical event recorded here most inspires or intrigues you?
5. ‘Fess up – did you really suspect that Gandalf wielded one of the 3 Elven Rings?
6. How does this chronology presented in Appendix B further shape your perspective or appreciation of Tolkien and/or the story?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
First Age – We learn little more of this time here – no dates or years. Just that there was a great Battle, after which many Noldor and Sindar (Elves both) went into the Far West.
The Grey Annals, HoME XI and Annals of Aman, HoME X, both state that the first age began with the awakening of the elves, which occured in the valarian year 1050. The valar years (VY) ended 450 VY later, after which started the sun years, with the coming of men; the valar themselves came 5000 VY (roughly 50.000 sun years) beore the rising of the moon.

As Tolkien notes in the Letters, the ages become less and less mythical; in the fourth ages, the descendants of Aragorn are nothing more than administrators, "like Denethor or worse", cf #256.
Quote:
1. If you’re familiar with Appendix B – had you actually read through it, or just used it as a reference?
I read it; a very interesting and useful bit, perhaps as referrenced in debates as The Shadow of the past, Council of Elrond or Last debate.
Quote:
2. What, if anything, is most striking to you – as far as when it happens, or for what duration?
The coming of the istari.
Quote:
3. Do you notice any “clusters of activity” – lots of things happening around the same time?
The fight against Sauron around 1700 - an important moment, arousing the fury of Sauron for quite some time; the period of Ar-Pharazon ruling, up until the end of the age; the renewal of communication between Gondor & Arnor, up until the watchful peace
Quote:
The fall of Cardolan - still debating over some issues related to it.
Quote:
5. ‘Fess up – did you really suspect that Gandalf wielded one of the 3 Elven Rings?
Nope; I was hardly grasping the events on my first read..
Quote:
6. How does this chronology presented in Appendix B further shape your perspective or appreciation of Tolkien and/or the story?
Recent discussions have required that I take a closer look at it; it really lines up many of the events; a definite must read, I would say.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
Valandil

Thank you for your response and input Landroval.

As for this part of your post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landroval
The Grey Annals, HoME XI and Annals of Aman, HoME X, both state that the first age began with the awakening of the elves, which occured in the valarian year 1050. The valar years (VY) ended 450 VY later, after which started the sun years, with the coming of men; the valar themselves came 5000 VY (roughly 50.000 sun years) beore the rising of the moon.

As Tolkien notes in the Letters, the ages become less and less mythical; in the fourth ages, the descendants of Aragorn are nothing more than administrators, "like Denethor or worse", cf #256.
... I was trying to hold off from looking into other sources - at least at first. With these Appendix portions, we may need to do so more than with the story chapters - but I wanted to initially present material only found (and only as found) in the appendices or story themselves. I even noticed a thing or two that contradicts what other sources say - but we'll hold off on that until later too.

I'll hold off until you reply further or until others answer before I go on and address the issues I raised.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 11-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Here are some incongruences that I found reading the LotR Reader's Companion's comments on this chapter:

521 Birth in NUmenor of Silmarien - As first published this date was given as 548. It was emended in the edition of 2004. In the Line of Elros, it is said that the eldest child of Tar-Elendil "was a daughter, Silmarien, born in the year 521; and in an accompanying note, Christopher Tolkien expresses the opinion that the date 548 in The Tale of Years, which survived from the first drafts of the text, "should have been reivsed but escaped notice".

2251 Death of Tar-Atanamir: in the first publishing (I guess that's mine too) this read "Tar Atanamir takes the sceptre", but it was revised in the 2004 edition

2683 Isengrim II becomes tenth Thain: it is explained that he was the tenth Thain of the Took line; in 2340, Isumbras was already the 13th thain

2872 Belethor II of Gondor dies: it was previously dated at 2852, but listed correctly as 2872 in the list of Stewards; in HoME XII, Chris notes that it was evidently a casual error
Old 11-05-2006, 06:55 AM   #5
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

I didnt really read it straight through, I read bits and pieces here and there... I was far more interested in some of it after I had read the Silmarillion, for before that, all the references to the different elves just confused me.

Quote:
I actually thought it was Glorfindel for a long time into the book. Gandalf always seemed so different in his powers from the others that I could never link him with a ring... besides which, he wasn't an Elf, and everyone kept going on about how three Elf-lords held the rings, so I never suspected.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

same here

Quote:
being the really sad person i am, i admit i have read it all the way through.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:01 AM   #7
Valandil

Not sad at all Jammi - at least I HOPE not - because you're not the only one!

One of us, in fact, even drooled at the prospect of taking this portion as an LOTR Discussion Project assignment!

Oh - something I wanted to mention about my Question #3:

Quote:
One I've noticed - even started a thread on it once - is the late 1900's of the Third Age. Really - if you take the 110 years from 1940 to 2050 - there's just ALL KINDS of major activity:
* Arthedain and Gondor's royal families are united in marriage
* Gondor's King dies in battle with his sons - leaving no direct heirs. A more remote relation takes the throne.
* Arthedain is destroyed by Angmar.
* Angmar's army is destroyed by combined forces of Elves and Men.
* The Northern Dunedain become a wandering people.
* The ancestors of the Rohirrim relocate from the Vales of Anduin to what had just been the eastern part of Angmar.
* The Shire halflings essentially take up self-rule.
* A Balrog appears in Moria and slays two Dwarf Kings. The Dwarves flee.
* Amroth and Nimrodel leave Lorien. Celeborn and Galadriel begin their rule there.
* The ex-Moria Dwarves found Erebor.
* The Nazgul besiege - and take - Minas Ithil and capture a palantir.
* The last king of Gondor rides off to face the Witch King. The Rule of the Stewards begins.

It was a MUCH different world in 2050 than it had been in 1940!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 11-17-2006, 05:40 AM   #8
Landroval
Elven Warrior

So, Valandil, what are you holding from us in terms of contradictions?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:08 AM   #9
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landroval
So, Valandil, what are you holding from us in terms of contradictions?
Oh - I don't know of TOO many. You brought up most of the ones I know about, and then some.

Besides - I didn't plan to focus on any potential mistakes. More the overall work.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 11-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Not sad at all Jammi - at least I HOPE not - because you're not the only one!
thank god for that. and really, i'm not sad.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:38 AM   #11
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
If you’re familiar with Appendix B – had you actually read through it, or just used it as a reference?
I've read it a few times now, and skimmed through it on other occasions. I've relied heavily on it for some (never finished) writings to get the chronology of events right. And it gives you a little more idea of things that are only passingly mentioned in the story itself, like the attacks on Lórien, Dale and the Lonely Mountain. It's useful stuff.

Quote:
What, if anything, is most striking to you – as far as when it happens, or for what duration?
I was struck at how old Aragorn really was at the War of the Ring. I knew he was older than he looked, but he was practically ancient (to modern standards).

And there must have been a young fellow named Estel running around when Bilbo and the Dwarves came by Rivendell on their way to the lonely mountain.

Quote:
'Fess up – did you really suspect that Gandalf wielded one of the 3 Elven Rings?
Never, but then again I'm clueless like that. I remember thinking: "Hang on, why does he get to wear the third ring? He's no Elf!"

It was a good trick.

Quote:
How does this chronology presented in Appendix B further shape your perspective or appreciation of Tolkien and/or the story?
It surprised me how vast the history was that he was building for Middle-earth. Thousands and thousands of years, complete with reigns and names of Kings, battles, peoples moving around, new countries being born and old ones perishing. The scale is massive, I was much impressed.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I can’t believe I have missed this thread!

Quote:
1.If you’re familiar with Appendix B – had you actually read through it, or just used it as a reference?
All through it – and many times. I am weird, I know, but I find the Appendices A and B the most exciting part of the book.

Quote:
I don’t know about “striking”, but looking closer at the dates of various events reveals some interesting possibilities.

We can see, for instance, that after forging of the One, Sauron waited for almost 100 years before saying “to Ungoliant with those pesky Elves” and going to retrieve the 19 rings. All this time Celebrimbor was doing nothing – he didn’t destroy the rings, didn’t hide them properly, didn’t summon an army to defend them, didn’t even try to forge an alliance with other Elves and Men. Looser.

The entry for 1800 is intriguing: “From about this time onward the Númenoreans begin to establish dominions on the coasts. Sauron extends his power eastwards. The shadow falls on Númenor.” Why this year? Is it connected with establishing dominions on the coast? Is it connected with Sauron distributing the 9 rings?

The famous 2251 entry. Tar-Atanamir either dies, or takes the sceptre but always the same year the nazgul first appear. Connection? This one was explored by Olmer, though.

3262-3319. Sauron had more than 50 years to work his charms on Ar-Pharazon…

3320-3429. 100 years of peace used to establish Gondor and Arnor. There was a heck of a lot of cities and fortresses, bridges and roads built in this very short period. How? I guess the Elendili kept the local ME population VERY busy. No wonder whole peoples deserted to Sauron at the first opportunity.

3430-3434 The Last alliance army gathers … very slowly…as is always the case with those immortal guys . Elendil awaits Gil Galad at Amon Sul, then the army takes a “short” rest in Imladris – 3 whole year – while poor Anarion desperately fights off Mordor attacks all alone. I guess Isildur did feel guilty, that’s why he ceded Gondor to his brother’s line.

109. Elrond weds Celebrían, daughter of Celeborn. Strange date. I guess E and C were well acquainted in the Second Age. So – why not wed right after the victory? Why 100 years later?

Note – the coming of the Istari is not mentioned. Why?
Also: Sauron’s shadow first spotted 1050, but the Istari were sent earlier (around 1000) – to fight with Sauron. How did the Valar know that Sau was about to arise?

1050. “The Wise (the Istari and the chief Eldar) discover that an evil power has made a stronghold at Dol Guldur. It is thought to be one of the Nazgûl.” Nice neighbour next door, quiet and respectable.. So they lived peacefully alongside this “nazgul” for how long? - a thousand years, until 2060, when they start to fear ”that it may be Sauron taking shape again”.

Well there is more, but I will stop here.

Quote:
Yes, I agree about 1940-2050. And note: if you want things done fast you have to have Men (or nazgul) but not Elves.
1974-1980 is particularly interesting – The Witch-King finally becomes the King of Arnor, then looses everything, then gathers the other nazgul to try his hand in the South. Lots of rings moving around, maybe changing hands. Exactly at the same time, ol’ Barlog suddenly wakes up and wreaks a havoc. Coincidence?

Another period 2941-2953
The ring is found, Gollum is now loose, Erebor freed, Smaug dead, Sauron relocates to Mordor, Orodruin is active again, the White council is no more – the World is changed again- and all this in 12 years.

Quote:
The war of 1974-75, naturally. Pity we know so little about it.

Quote:
Never suspected it - and even now I can’t really get used to this idea. I thought Oropher/Thranduil or Amroth or Cirdan would have been a much better choice. Gandy having a ring clashes with a lot we know about him: his part in the Hobbit, his disinterest in the Rings in general, his inability to recognise the One, the story of him being captive in Orthanc. And no wonder: Gandalf having a Ring was a very late idea, inserted long after all the LOTR text was written. It was a bad idea to give Narya to Gandy, if you ask me: little gained and lots of plot-holes arising.

Last edited by Gordis : 01-04-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote