Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2018, 12:25 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Saruman: The first 1760 years...

In LOTR, Saruman is identified with Isengard and the tower of Orthanc. However, he came to Middle Earth circa year 1000 of the Third Age, and only began to occupy Isengard in year 2759 - when Beren, Steward of Gondor, gave him the keys of Orthanc. That's only 260 years before the action of LOTR. He had been in Middle Earth for a LOT longer than that! What did he do, where did he go, and where did he stay - for all those years in between?

We do know a very little:
  • He preferred to be among Men instead of Elves - I only recently gleaned this from the UT account "The Istari"
  • He journeyed into the East with the two Blue Wizards, and returned alone. We do not know just when this was.
  • In 2463 the White Council was formed - and he was chosen to lead it.

I have to wonder if he would have been most drawn to Gondor in this time. And yet - we see no real evidence of him at work in Gondor. I suspect that Gondor was his favored location (perhaps a reason Beren would have entrusted Orthanc and Isengard to him?) - but it's likely he traveled also among the Men who lived along Anduin, those further east - such as Dale and associated areas and Rhovanion... maybe even to and beyond the Sea of Rhun at times. Perhaps he went south - to Umbar, Far Hard and Khand. Maybe he even returned to Eriador and traveled about in Arthedain and sister kingdoms of Cardolan and Rhudaur - though I suspect only while the kingdoms remained, not after their fall.

Interesting that he didn't seem all that interested in the Elves.

I mostly wonder what things he took part in - and what things he stayed out of. And why. And what he did with himself for all those years.

And what was he up to back East with the two Blue Wizards?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote