Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul The Lord of the Rings Discussion Project: Chapter 5 and Chapter 6

I guess I should do this so I can stop feeling guilty about not getting this done.

Chapter 5: A Conspiracy Unmasked
This chapter here brings up a very important aspect of the books – and that is the close friendship between the hobbits.

The chapter starts off with them getting on the ferry after leaving Farmer Maggots and meeting up with Merry. It goes into the history of the Brandybucks as well as the founding and development of Buckland.

“A Conspiracy Unmasked” has a great peaceful, friendly tone and the imagery is very soothing, especially the first part of the chapter. This is basically the last peaceful chapter before they get thrust into the heart of the danger. They still have their innocence here.

As they move across the river to Buckland, we get a hint of Sam’s uneasiness with being on boats. This fact comes up again when they go down the Anduin. Once they cross the Brandywine they see movement on the shore they just left.

Quote:
On the far stage, under the distant lamps, they could just make out a figure: it looked like a dark black bundle left behind. But as they looked it seemed to move and sway this way and that, as if searching the ground. It then crawled, or went crouching, back into the gloom beyond the lamps.
So what is this creature? I have always felt it was a Black Rider, and still do feel it is. It could, however, possibly be Gollum. Because of Jackson’s movie, the image of the Black Riders has “changed”. Going by the black riders in the movie – I think it would have been very hard to mistake the Black Riders for a “dark black bundle”. If one goes by the way I have always pictured them and as Bashki portrayed them, I think it is very easy to see how it could be a Black Rider. Then again – there is no sign of a horse if it is a Black Rider. The one reason I don’t think it is Gollum is that he would most likely have been able to swim across the river. I don’t think he would have just turned around like that.

After reaching the house, Frodo feels guilt for having lied to his friends. They have gone through all the trouble to make his new home feel and look just like Bag End. When they eat – we see their passion for mushrooms. Frodo even tells his friends to “Take your greedy hands away…” This line is sort of interesting – because he reacts almost as if they had reached for the Ring.

After dinner, Pippin tells Merry and Fatty about meeting up with the Black Riders on the way there and about the riders showing up at Farmer Maggot’s looking for Frodo. Frodo then admits that there is a connection between the riders and Bilbo’s treasure.

The way the conspiracy is revealed is great, with Merry surprisingly telling Frodo all that he had been thinking. Frodo reveals he must leave immediately and not be hindered. Slowly the closeness and the meaning of their friendship is revealed. First there is this…

Quote:
“You do not understand!” Said Pippin. “You must go – and therefore we must, too. Merry and I are coming with you. Sam is an excellent fellow, and would jump down a dragon’s throat to save you, if he did not trip over his own feet; but you will need more than one companion in your dangerous adventure.”
They then reveal, to Frodo’s surprise, that Sam was telling them all that was going on, up to the point where Gandalf had caught him. Sam was the eyes and ears of the group and to keep an eye on Frodo.

Then comes one of the greatest speeches as far as I am concerned in the entire book. One that I am entirely upset was NOT in the movie…

Quote:
….”Begging your pardon, sir! But I meant no wrong to you, Mr Frodo, nor to Mr Gandalf for that matter. He has some sense, mind you; and when you said go alone, he said no! take someone as you can trust.

“But it does not seem that I can trust anyone,” said Frodo.

Sam looked at him unhappily. “It depends on what you want,” put in Merry. “You can trust us to stick to you through think and thin – to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of your – closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo….We are horribly afraid – but we are coming with you; or following you like hounds.”
This is a demonstration of the true friendship that is between the hobbits. How they stand by Frodo through thick and thin, the good times and the bad times. This aspect was central to the book, but only whitewashed in the movie, which was VERY disappointing.

After this – it is agreed that they will all come, except for Fatty, with Frodo. One thing I find strange is that Sam just disappears without telling his father. I’ve wondered if Fatty had ever told the Gaffer where Sam went off too. I assume that news must have gone out eventually of what was going on – but Tolkien gives no indication what the Gaffer thought about Sam missing and not returning after going to Buckland.

After deciding that they would be going on together and leaving in the morning. The way to leave needs to be determined. Frodo does not want to take an open road where everyone can see him leave. The importance of secrecy is the utmost concern on their minds. They then decide they will go through the Old Forest. Although Fatty objects, Merry declares that he has been in the forest and that it would be much safer than meeting up with the Black Riders.

Fatty’s (Fredegar Bolger) purpose is to stay behind and pretend to be Frodo and to answer any questions from people snooping around or looking for Frodo. He is to keep the charade up until Frodo and Company are safely away.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote