Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
Mari
Elf Lady

Advertising Entmoot

Entmoot hasn't seen too many newcomers the last couple of years and we are posting fewer and fewer posts ourselves. So to save our beloved 'Moot from drying up I'd like to ask you the following:

How can we make the Moot more active?
! any idea is welcome, no matter how far out it may seem. Someone else might think of a practical application for your idea.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

A thought...

I've heard from older members of the board that there was a big boom in new members and general activity when the LotR movies were released. I was part of that boom. Many of the most active of those new members were teenagers (again including myself) as that was a major demographic of the movie.

Though I told myself many times that I would never become one of those people that abandoned the moot as soon as I went off to college, that's exactly what happened. I'm not sure what happened after that, because I wasn't there, but I'm wondering if there was an exodus of sorts right around that time as the rest of the teenagers hit college-age.

Now I'm out of college and have more time/energy to devote to hobbies like entmoot. Perhaps that is true of many of the other members who are presumably graduating/recently graduated from college.

So maybe sending PMs to members who previously used to be active would be effective? Maybe the ents just need to be woken and reminded who they are

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Mari
Elf Lady

Whilst I had most time to spend when I was in college and started having to ration after getting a job
It might work. In the same vein contacting people you (generic) interacted with a lot back then as in individual might be an idea as well.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
In the same vein contacting people you (generic) interacted with a lot back then as in individual might be an idea as well.
That is a much better way of explaining what I was trying to say

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:10 AM   #5
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Maybe "advertise" in YouTube comments under the Hobbit clips?
Old 05-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
Mari
Elf Lady

Oh, that might actually be a nice idea. Though comments go down the list quite fast for popular videos, so perhaps it's better to ask the poster to add a link to his/her description of the vid.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Midge
Faithful Gardener

We might do a little research - how did all of us find Entmoot?

My story:
Teenager Me just googled "Lord of the Rings" and went down the list of websites dedicated to Lord of the Rings. I proceeded to click on every single link available (Teenager Me had a lot of extra time), and one of them led me here. I don't imagine that many people do that, especially now that the LOTR and Hobbit movies are done being made, but it might be worth it to try to promote the Tolkien Trail also.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:45 AM   #8
Midge
Faithful Gardener

There is a surprisingly large number of geek things on Pinterest. I hate to say it, but perhaps if we pinned some of our more memorable posts and made sure they linked back to entmoot, it would help... We have to meet the nerds where they are...

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 05-30-2015, 03:02 AM   #9
Mari
Elf Lady

I have no idea what pinterest is, but go right ahead. There should be plenty of great posts on this wonderful place

I found the moot because I was trying to put together a presentation on The Netherlands for my Japanese class and stumbled upon the flag/ national anthem thread here. There was no Dutch anthem, so of course I had to set the situation right.
There are appallingly little good advertisement films on the Netherlands that don't talk about drugs by the way. This was in 2006 and the only way you could get a promotional video from the Dutch tourism office was on VHS...

Old 05-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
We might do a little research - how did all of us find Entmoot?

My story:
Teenager Me just googled "Lord of the Rings" and went down the list of websites dedicated to Lord of the Rings. I proceeded to click on every single link available (Teenager Me had a lot of extra time), and one of them led me here. I don't imagine that many people do that, especially now that the LOTR and Hobbit movies are done being made, but it might be worth it to try to promote the Tolkien Trail also.
This is EXACTLY my story as well I went through "The Tolkien Trail" from the beginning, and got stuck in Fangorn

Old 05-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan View Post

So maybe sending PMs to members who previously used to be active would be effective? Maybe the ents just need to be woken and reminded who they are
I sent a PM to my bf who used to post under the name of Attalus here, in the form of a running commentary while he was cooking dinner last night. He says he has tried to get back on often in the years he has been absent, but can't remember his password or even the email he used back then (nasty divorce, long story). He says he would come back if he could get back on.

Susie
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:13 PM   #12
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Well, dont make me do all the work! What are some of our favorite LOTR-related posts? Links or as many specifics would be appreciated!

Old 06-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #13
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Here's one of mine: http://www.theimaginativeconservativ...tradition.html
Old 06-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #14
Attalus

Here's one of mine: http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...530#post674530

And for Ent lovers: http://www.theimaginativeconservativ...tradition.html
Old 06-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #15
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

It's an old thread, but I thought this was a really interesting discussion:
http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?t=14740&

Old 06-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #16
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
“Why are there so few when you have lived in this country so long?” asked Pippin. “Have a great many died?”

“Oh, no!” said Treebeard. “None have died from inside, as you might say. Some have fallen in the evil chances of the long years, of course: and more have grown tree-ish. But there were never many of us and we have not increased. There have been no Entings – no children, you would say, not for a terrible long count of years. ...”
I was looking at Mari’s post about her class, and I had a thought…

What about opening a “Beginners” or “Novices” section? We were all beginners in Tolkien at one time: exactly how Radagast fit into the story; what the Nazgûl were doing to hunt Frodo; and how the history of the Shire fit into the broader story – Arnor, or the migration of the Hobbits – were all new and novel. The idea that the Balrog might not have wings was news.

Let’s make a place at Entmoot where people who’ve never before participated in a discussion board can come, be welcome, and ask what they please. When they’re ready and feel confident, they can join the other sections; and of course, we want them to always post in the General Discussions forum.

Let’s think up a good name – this is the Entmoot, we can take our time! – “Beginners”, “Novices”, “Newcomers” – “Entings” – and add it to the Hobbit, LOTR, LOTR Movies, sections, and so on.

Let’s make a place for less experienced posters – some of whom may be adults – and let them be. Then Mari or anyone else with youth can encourage them to join in; or someone who wants to post but is afraid some old guy () might jump them for asking a “dumb” question, or a moderator who might shut them down because it’s a “worn-out, over-discussed topic”, can feel free to ask those questions.

Besides, some fresh views might shed new light on some old ideas.

Could that work?

=====

This was mistakenly first posted in “Teacup Café XLII
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:03 PM   #17
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Like I replied in the Cafe, it's not a bad idea

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:42 PM   #18
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
I was looking at Mari’s post about her class, and I had a thought…

What about opening a “Beginners” or “Novices” section? We were all beginners in Tolkien at one time: exactly how Radagast fit into the story; what the Nazgûl were doing to hunt Frodo; and how the history of the Shire fit into the broader story – Arnor, or the migration of the Hobbits – were all new and novel. The idea that the Balrog might not have wings was news.

Let’s make a place at Entmoot where people who’ve never before participated in a discussion board can come, be welcome, and ask what they please. When they’re ready and feel confident, they can join the other sections; and of course, we want them to always post in the General Discussions forum.

Let’s think up a good name – this is the Entmoot, we can take our time! – “Beginners”, “Novices”, “Newcomers” – “Entings” – and add it to the Hobbit, LOTR, LOTR Movies, sections, and so on.

Let’s make a place for less experienced posters – some of whom may be adults – and let them be. Then Mari or anyone else with youth can encourage them to join in; or someone who wants to post but is afraid some old guy () might jump them for asking a “dumb” question, or a moderator who might shut them down because it’s a “worn-out, over-discussed topic”, can feel free to ask those questions.

Besides, some fresh views might shed new light on some old ideas.

Could that work?

=====

This was mistakenly first posted in “Teacup Café XLII
I think we discussed something like that once. Several years back. I wonder if we can find it. We tossed some ideas around, but I don't recall implementing anything...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #19
Attalus

I would be willing to help with something like that. I remember taking part in a "Discussing the LotR" in basic terms in years past.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #20
Midge
Faithful Gardener

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/165366617544415530/

Here's the pin I created for Pinterest. Feel free to re-pin! I know I get tired of all the Pinners who only are interested in the movies... maybe this will strike a nerve with some big LOTR nerds...