Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-21-2004, 10:17 PM   #61
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

we had snow the other day!!
it might even snow onchristmas day
but then i am not in southern hemisphere, so it has no bearing on your discussion, IR
just thought i should share the white weather with everyone
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:20 PM   #62
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
How in the world is christmas percieved by our southern hemisphere bretheren? To anyone north of the equator (significantly) christmas is inseperable from snow and sleigh rides and all that stuff. Are things fundamentally different when its celebrated in the heat of the summer? Its gotta be. Its actually hard for me to imagine... So enlighten us northern hemispher-centric types.
We walk barefoot on cool flagstone floors. We turn on the fans at night. My room nevertheless is different at Christmas time because of the soft glow of Christmas tree lights emanating from a miniature Christmas tree on my dresser, near the foot of my bed. Even as I write this post, my brother complains in my ear, "it's so hot!" He's wearing sweat pants, a T-Shirt and is barefoot. That's true . He really did say that even as I write this. Yes, Christmas is fundamentally different and that's why my parents never decorate the exterior of the house with Christmas lights. They have an inseparable connection in their minds between Christmas lights and frost and snow. Their experience of Christmas includes snow fortresses and snowmen, while mine includes . . . er . . . rain? I have never seen the snow except twice, once very briefly from an airplane and once for a minute or two from a jeep as we passed over a mountain. Nevertheless, the Christmas decorations we have are very pretty in my opinion. Very different and probably not so lovely as it would be in your snowy lands, but still pleasant . (Takes off his sweater and drapes it over his shoulders (wearing T-Shirt underneath) as he wanders off to eat supper)
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:02 AM   #63
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
How in the world is christmas percieved by our southern hemisphere bretheren? To anyone north of the equator (significantly) christmas is inseperable from snow and sleigh rides and all that stuff. Are things fundamentally different when its celebrated in the heat of the summer? Its gotta be. Its actually hard for me to imagine... So enlighten us northern hemispher-centric types.
well i live in a place called bendigo which is about an hour and a half north of melbourne. ummm well its usually hot as hell, today its about 34 which isnt that hot for summer (it gets above 40 through January) but coming out of 20 degree days its ****ed... so im posting in my undies and an undershirt, its great normally id be looked at weird if i walked into the shop down the road in my undies and shirt for cigarettes but today she said ohhh its pretty hot out their eh?, unfortunately im on my way to the pub so i have to put on shorts
so leading up to christmas its all about drinking, last night me and some mates took out an esky full of beer and went fishing. ummm so its mainly parties and dinners and **** up until chrissy then on christmas day its usually a big breakfast mainly fruit for me, since i dont eat seafood. then the big christmas lunch and pudding (and a few stubbies of cours ) and the traditional arvo nap. and then a quiet night with some a few more beers.
you may have fine traditional christmas weather but we have the best drinking weather
Old 12-22-2004, 02:08 PM   #64
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

hm so thats how they celebrate it in Australia huh? By drinking all day in your underwear? Isnt culture exchange fun.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:29 PM   #65
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
hm so thats how they celebrate it in Australia huh? By drinking all day in your underwear? Isnt culture exchange fun.
now now i mean thats how I do it, im sure others in australia have a "better" approach in your eyes (nothing could be better in mine )
Old 12-22-2004, 10:08 PM   #66
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

But you can do that any old day. Sounds like a typical sunday during football season to me.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:42 PM   #67
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
But you can do that any old day. Sounds like a typical sunday during football season to me.
i challenge you to come to australia for one christmas sometime in your life, and do it exactly as if you were at home in the middle of winter all rugged up sitting inside for your christmas food, trust me, you'll die
i seriously dont see any problem with drinking on christmas, how better to celebrate Jesus than drinking, and if i choose to do it in my undies, im sure Jesus would be with me all the way.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:29 AM   #68
inked
Elf Lord

Millane,
You know Jesus probably would join in the drinking at least! He had a rep for eating and drinking, especially good with that water to wine thing, too, according to the reports. I don't know about the undies, though!

Seriously, Jesus and I get together over wine and bread about every Sunday.
One day after church I went to the grocery store for lunch items and picked up a case of beer and some wine (note this was about 10:30 am of a Sunday). When I got to the check out, I was informed that in Texas beer and wine could not be sold until after Noon. I asked why and was told it was a special Sunday alcohol sales rule. "Look, I just got out of church and Jesus was even more in the wine than I was, I really don't think He would mind," I said. The clerk got a really good laugh out of that, but I still had to return later for the goods!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 04:32 AM   #69
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Millane,
You know Jesus probably would join in the drinking at least! He had a rep for eating and drinking, especially good with that water to wine thing, too, according to the reports. I don't know about the undies, though!
well its either undies or nude, and i think the constant stream of people makes nude out of the question it just gets too damn hot <-----me boiling tomorrow.
Quote:
"Look, I just got out of church and Jesus was even more in the wine than I was, I really don't think He would mind,"
hahahahaha Jesus was our excuse for not having a fishing license last night, if anyone asked us it was gunna be "did anyone ask Jesus for his license?, were just coming out here to get back in tune with Jesus and you wanna stop us, at christmas time. Is that what you want?"
Old 12-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #70
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

What am I doing for Christmas?

PANICING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to get the house clean, my room clean (dear lord), and on top of that MY CHRISTMAS CLOTHES FOR TONIGHT AND TOMORROW MORNING AREN'T CLEAN YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh! Whatever happened to waiting patiently for Christmas? Christmas zoomed up on me this year and now that it's about to ram into me I have mere hours to prepare myself for the shock .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:37 AM   #71
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Staying around home this year. Looks like we'll have some company pass through in a wave or two. Still have to get a tree and decorate!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #72
Mari
Elf Lady

birthday, family, in-laws... it's going to be a lot of travelling!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #73
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Put up the tree last weekend and the cats haven't crashed it so there's a win. Although the trick I've started a few years ago of hanging the unbreakable balls at the lower end of the tree appears to continue to work.

Buuut I still have to put gifts under there and that's always a wait-and-see game if Psycho-cat is feeling threatened enough by inanimate new objects to pee on them this year.

It's going to be a quiet holiday season for us, at least on the party-front, work is usually the busiest this time of year and it's the fourth year in row too that there are staff problems at work and it's really starting to get on my nerves.

So kinda look forward to some quiet solitary time.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #74
Mari
Elf Lady

I have wooden hangers to put on the bottom of my tree and one bell the cats love playing with.For some reason if I give them one obvious thing on the tree to play with, the rest is left alone. And the wood looks quite fashionable as well. Fortunately none of the cats are climbers (at least, I hope the newest addition isn't either).
No tree for me this year though, since my house is for sale and it needs to look as spacious as possible.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:44 PM   #75
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

The family's getting older, but still a couple of young ones to keep the magic going!

Here's the family with the grandparents on a Christmas train the other week, I'm hanging with the penguin...

Old 12-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #76
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

VERY nice! How old are all those boys? Did the youngest come after our slowdown here? My three are between 14 & 18.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:47 PM   #77
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

22, 18, 14, 10 and 5... we gave up on the girl, I hope!!