Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Snow in New England

We have about eighteen inches along the North Shore of Massachusetts. That’s not official: it’s what’s in my yard and my neighborhood.

My street is already pretty clear this afternoon. Even some of the main streets are much worse.

Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Yes - I think our Tue-Wed-Thur netted us around 12" to 13" in my part of Chicago. Some of the northern suburbs had 16" to 18". We have more forecast for today, tonight and tomorrow - then drops into some really frigid temperatures. Monday's HIGH forecast at a -10, with a wind chill forecast at -52.

Nice pictures though. Is one of those houses yours? I thought of you when I saw a weather report about heavy snow north of Boston.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
Alcuin
Salt Miner

This was taken in front of my driveway: it was the only way into the street, since the snow was piled from waist-high to chest-high (3–5 feet) along the sidewalks. My neighbor’s house can just be glimpsed to the left, with icicles hanging from the eaves. Fortunately, the temperature never fell below -0° F (-18° C), and our wind chill only reached -20° F (-29° C); but we’re along the coast, so the ocean moderated the cold. It was rather worse inland. Chicago is always cold in winter and hot in summer! I once heard Minneapolis described as, “Siberia with family restaurants.” (No offense intended to Siberians or Minnesotans.)

Last edited by Alcuin : 01-05-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Here is this year’s photograph. We’ve had over 6 feet (183 cm) of snow in the past 30 days, over 5 feet (152 cm) since February 1, with more on the way.

Snow, anyone? Tea, anyone?

Old 02-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

How do you even cross the road in such conditions?
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Wow!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:23 AM   #7
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
How do you even cross the road in such conditions?
Our greatest hazard is slipping in the mush. Fortunately, it isn’t ice, but mostly fluffy snow. Or it was: after hundreds of cars and trucks (the snowplow and salt truck caravans are usually 4–6 vehicles at time) pass over the street, it’s mush. Cars slide in it, too, of course. Since the streets are very narrow because of the snow (or just very narrow to begin with), and many sidewalks are not clear, walking can be an interesting and sometimes hazardous undertaking. But unless the wind is blowing (last night, the temperature was 2°F (–17°C), wind chill –20°F (–29°C)), it isn’t unpleasant as long as you’ve dressed for it. (Layered clothing is not only effective, but essential.) Injuries from falling, while obviously more frequent, are still the exception rather than the rule, except for the aged: these are dangerous walking conditions for the old and infirm.

Since that photograph was taken, we’ve had another 17 inches (43 cm) of snow.

This was taken since the recent snow. The yellow snow shovel in the front is 16 inches (41 cm) wide. The path is our front walk, and is a little wider than that. The hedge on this end (that’s a hedge buried in snow on the right) is about 5½ feet (168 cm) high. The red portion of the handle of the far snow shovel is 29½ inches (75 cm) long; it is between 6 and 10 feet down the walk.

The street is to the left. You cannot see it while walking along the sidewalk: only Elendil the Tall and basketball centers could look over the snow bank, which is nearly seven feet tall most of the way. I suppose this is what it was like on the hobbits’ approach to Weathertop with Strider: “there were lines of large boulders and hewn stones that screened the travellers almost like a hedge.”

I’m not complaining: lots of places have more snow than we do (Newfoundland, for example); but this is a lot of snow for even people with memories of old snowfalls. Boston has officially seen 84.2 inches (214 cm) in the past 30 days, and we’ve had more than that.

There’s more snow on the way, too.

But my family down South reported an ice storm this past weekend. Ice is heavy, breaks trees and powerlines with its weight, and broken trees fall into powerlines and the poles that carry them. (My German friends tell me they bury their lines for just such reasons; I believe I recall that is the custom in parts of Canada, too.)

So at least it isn’t ice.

Last edited by Alcuin : 02-17-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #8
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
But my family down South reported an ice storm this past weekend. Ice is heavy, breaks trees and powerlines with its weight, and broken trees fall into powerlines and the poles that carry them. (My German friends tell me they bury their lines for just such reasons; I believe I recall that is the custom in parts of Canada, too.)
We had an ice storm like that several years ago. The pictures of those very iconic powerline snapped in half simply due to ice was scary. That's several thick and sturdy supports that need to be broken before that top can topple over like that. Never seen that happen before.

Somehow I'm pretty happy I live somewhere where the weather is slightly more clement.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #9
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Fell Winter indeed!

Watch out for the Wargs!!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #10
Earniel

We had those, once.

Our neighbour's son used to have two white german shepherds. Sometimes they broke through the fence into our garden. One day when it was snowing, I happened to look outside and see just a white tail disappearing behind a bush. I'm pretty sure my first thought was 'The Branduin is frozen! The white wolves are coming!'
Old 07-10-2015, 02:00 AM   #11
Alcuin
Salt Miner

There’s still snow on the ground in Boston.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

We had a nice, moderate winter this year, with some sleet but very little snow, thank the Lord!

Susie
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote