Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Welcome Elennar!

Interesting approach-I wouldn't think to suggest reading certain better chapters before others-then again I'm the type of person that insists upon reading a book from cover to cover. Each to his own
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
Elennár
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
Welcome Elennar!

Interesting approach-I wouldn't think to suggest reading certain better chapters before others-then again I'm the type of person that insists upon reading a book from cover to cover. Each to his own
Hello EllethValatari! Normally, I wouldn't use this approach for a novel either. Thankfully though, as the Silmarillion isn't exactly linear or continuous, people can still enjoy it this way; and then come back and read the whole thing.
Elennár is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I also agree with EllethValatari. While the stories are episodic, they also build one upon another. And to pick up a story in the middle, without knowing what the background is, I think could still leave the reader with a very unclear picture. If that has worked for some of you - that's fine. It doesn't work for me.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote