Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-1999, 12:41 AM   #1
bmilder

What's your favorite book in the trilogy?

Out of the three books in the trilogy, which is your favorite and why? I think my favorite would have to be Return of the King. It was great to see how all the characters changed throughout the course of the trilogy. I also enjoyed the appendices in the back. What about you?
Old 09-19-1999, 03:22 AM   #2
Jedi Eowyn

It Changes! :)

Hi BMILDER!! Right now, I guess my favorite book is Fellowship. I liked the Shire, I loved Bilbo's triumph, I loved Barliman Butterbur (I read his parts slowly every time), and I loved the exposition. When Gandalf or anyone stopped to tell what had gone on before, it was just as good as the main text. Meeting Strider in Bree is the best! And meeting Bilbo again in Rivendell is joy!
Old 09-19-1999, 06:24 PM   #3
Darth Tater

wrong!

You mean of the seven books, or the three parts? PS, bmilder, when do I become an admin like you said I would?
Old 09-19-1999, 09:00 PM   #4
bmilder

books as in physical books

I guess I didn't think it through too thoroughly. Sorry, Tater . I meant the physical books it is usually divided into. And as you know, you're a moderator now.
Old 09-19-1999, 11:39 PM   #5
Darth Tater

Re: books as in physical books

I know. that post was a while ago. Since I'm the two towers has the ents that's probably my choice.
Old 09-21-1999, 04:45 AM   #6
Hernalt

Two Towers

Nowhere else do you get two blood-curdling battles for the price of one. For Battle of the Hornburg, I listen to "La quinte estampie reale", a French piece from the Crusades, found on David Munrow: Music of the Crusades. And don't call me obsessed or I'll post more unsolicited musical choices to accessorize your Tolkein reading experience.
Old 09-21-1999, 10:47 PM   #7
Darth Tater

Re: Two Towers

Actually Hernalt I think that's pretty cool. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-21-1999, 11:47 PM   #8
Quaff Down Gin

I prefer "Fellowship"...

...for various reasons. I LOVE "The Shadow of the past" as well as Bilbo's party. It also contains Moria, Weathertop, Lothlorien and Galadriel (woohoo! she's HOT!), not to mention the council at Rivendell. I guess I like it when they reflect and talk about the past alot.
Old 09-22-1999, 12:28 AM   #9
Hernalt

Fellowship of the Rings

Well, that's a point. The fellowship is the most ethereal, most Enya-ish of them all, as it holds the sum of Elvish involvement for the trilogy. Enya, Shepherd Moons for Elven segments. It includes Lothlorien and the flavor is distinct.
Old 09-22-1999, 09:23 PM   #10
Darth Tater

I'm insane!

This thread is driving me crazy! Now I can't make my mind up which is my favorite!
Old 10-09-1999, 11:11 PM   #11
BADGER

Re: What's your favorite book in the trilogy?

I'm less than halfway through the Fellowship, so I guess that would have to be my favorite book at the moment? I can't believe I never read these before
Old 10-09-1999, 11:41 PM   #12
Hernalt

The key, Badger, is to try to get into Tolkien's mind. Basically, he orchestrates a whole big shebang at exactly the pace so that everything transpires Just on time, time and time again. The ultimate in contrivance, but all along this immense contrivance of plot, there are features innumerable. I pay attention to his depictions of nature; his leisure with which he paints the landscape; his diligence in delivering the stuffiness or clarity of the air, the hue of the sky, the lay of the land. Try also to note the descriptions of buildings, the attire of the characters, and the particulars of their accourterments such as horns, belts, clasps, braoches, swords, embossings, shield devices, coats of arms, etc. There's so much to miss - so miss it, and go back again!
Old 10-10-1999, 08:58 PM   #13
Darth Tater

BADGER, although Hernalt is right (as always) it's very important not to try to find all that stuff on the first read, or you'll be extremely overwhelmed. Try to just take it all in the first time around, then you can go back and cross analyze the whole thing.
Old 10-11-1999, 05:21 PM   #14
Hernalt

What Tater said. He's riiiiiight...
Old 10-21-1999, 12:23 AM   #15
anduin

Return of the King

Hullo, Jedi Eowyn! ROTK has to be my favorite, because it has my favorite chapter: The Steward and The King.
Old 10-23-1999, 03:24 PM   #16
Darth Tater

Re: Return of the King

Anduin, you certainly have good taste! That whole Gondor part is my favorite part of all of Tolkien's writtings.
Old 10-25-1999, 03:29 AM   #17
anduin

Thank you Darth Tater! It is true about missing things on the first read. Everytime I read LOTR, more and more sinks in. I have read it five times now, and the last was more fulfilling than the time before. Does anyone else have a tradition of reading the trilogy once a year?
Old 11-03-1999, 06:30 PM   #18
Elrond

Hi! I saw the link on my board, bmilder, and I thought 'hey! another tolkien place! why not?' I like it! I like FOTR best... I quite like ROTK, but I don't like Aragorn as king as much as Aragorn as Strider. And FOTR has me in more Oh, and u better hope galadriel doesn't come here now...
Old 11-03-1999, 07:36 PM   #19
Galadriel24

I like Fellowship of the Ring. Yes, it is nice to see another LotR Board...
Old 11-05-1999, 01:55 AM   #20
Darth Tater

So many fans of FOTR! Though I like them all I maintain (sp?) that ROTK is the best, just see what Anduin said.