Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-24-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Did Amandil ever make it to the Valar?

I'm just curious what everyone thinks about Amandil and his quest to reach the Valar. For those who don't know, Amandil was the Lord of Andúnië and father of Elendil. He was a friend to the Eldar and thus thought of as an Elf-friend, which were normally of the "Faithful" Númenóreans. He was, however, for many years a friend and counsellor to King Ar-Pharazôn. Ar-Pharazôn was the last King of Númenor, who was seduced by Sauron, who he had defeated and brought to Númenor. Sauron convinced him to sail on Valinor, which ultimately led to the Downfall of Númenor. Before this though, Amandil was dismissed by Sauron, which one can assume he did so in order to seduce Ar-Pharazôn in order to sail against the Valar. Amandil was Faithful to the will of the Valar and he sailed into the West to seek the pardon of the Valar for the misdeeds of the Númenóreans.

His fate is unknown, but I was wondering what everyone thought of Amandil's quest and if he actually made it or not?

I think a case can be made in both favors of his quest. I say this because it could be possible that he made it by the will of the Valar as a result of his Faithfulness. It is just another thing we won't know as Tolkien never states it, but what do you think and why?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I don't think he survived the trip. For one thing, there's no indication that he did and no-one before him, not even ships made by the Teleri with Noldor sailors ever managed to reach it. Only Ëarendil ever did, and that was because he had a Silmaril.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Amandil's voyage was in the 2nd age, after the shadowy Ilses and other defenses were removed. The was nothing stopping him but the law of the valar that men should not sail westsward out of sight of Numenor. The Evels had been regularly making this voyage for most the 2nd age with no problem. As for what might have happened to him there is no record. There is no reason to assume that he did not make it to Aman, sonce the numemoreans ship were apparently seaworthy than the Sindaran ships. (one note of tolkien suggests than NO Numenorean ship ever sank or foundered by natural/sea casues until after their rebellion against the Valar, whereas natural causes had often enough done for Sidarin ships) If he sank, it would only have been by action of the Valar. Most likely he sailed to Aman and was dealt with there with whatever judjment for his breaking the ban of the valar, and in light of mitigating circumstances.

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 01-12-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:32 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I tend to agree with Falagar, simply because there was no mention of him making it, or returning; the way to Valinor was terrible and of utmost peril, and I see no reason to think that those who attempted the voyage made it, unless it is stated.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:31 PM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
Amandil's voyage was in the 2nd age, after the shadowy Ilses and other defenses were removed. The was nothing stoping him but the law of the valar that he should not sail westsward out of sight of Numenor. The Evels had been regulalar making this voyage for most the 2nd age with no problem. As for what might have happened to him there is no record. There is no reason toassume that he did not make it to Aman, sonce the numemoreans ship were apparently than the Sindaran ships. (one note of tolkien suggests than no NO Numenorean ship ever sank or foundered by natural/sea casues until after their rebellion against the Valar.) If he sank, it would only have been by action of the Valar. Most likely he saild to Aman and was dealt with there with whater judjment for his breaking the ban of the valar, and in light of mitigating circumstances.
See, I tend to look at it from your perspective as well. And to answer gwai and falagar, it was never stated he made it, however it was also never stated he didn't. I think the exact statement was "His fate is unknown." Which could really mean anything, lol. It's just another Tom Bombadil arguement I suppose

Although, I like to think Amandil did make it for the reason that the Valar knew his intentions. They knew he was Faithful to them and was not of like minds as the "King's Men". I also think that they knew why he was making the journey. Now in the bigger picture, I also like to think he made it and the Valar excepted him in and kept his bloodline close at hand and out of trouble in the sense of allowing it to live on. The Valar knew how important it would be for the Faithful to live on. Let's think about it, it's not by coincidence that the line of Amandil lived on through Aragorn over those many years. There were numerous times when that line should have failed and died off only at the last second it was saved and preserved. I like to think that the line of old, the line of Elros, didn't survive by chance and the reason for this was because of Amandil seeking the pardon of the Valar for those Númenóreans who shunned the ways of the King's Men and instead chose the paths of old, of the Valar.

In my opinion, it makes sense when you really look at the line of Kings/Chieftains and their own downfall. Also look at the line of Kings in Gondor. When did that line start to fail and falter and die off? It died off when the Kings started to get greedy and feel so powerful in themselves that they felt nothing could challenge them. It was in essence a mirror image of those Kings who turned their backs on the Valar in Númenor. Yes, the Kings/Chieftains in the Northern Kingdom were forced to live underground and their kingdoms were destroyed, but yet they themselves were not. Their line lived on, but why? I think it lived on, because they held the customs of old at heart and were still "Faithful" those many years later. They were faithful to their people, they were faithful to their friends (the Eldar), and they were faithful to the Valar. I also think the Valar were faithful to them as well, and that was a result of Amandil...

Though, that's just my theory
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-25-2004, 12:30 AM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

I've wondered about this some myself. We can't really 'know' of course, because Tolkien kept it a mystery. Maybe he never decided himself what happened. If it was up to me to fill in the gap though, here's what I'd have had happen:

Quote:
Amandil and his servants were sort of 'intercepted'... maybe by the Valar, maybe Eru Himself. Sailing into a mist they see in a vision that their mission is understood and that the Valar, and Eru, are somewhat sympathetic. Nevertheless, having already sailed further west than permitted themselves, their lives in the circles of the world are forfeit - but that they will pass painlessly to the place that Eru has prepared for men after their lives are over.

They cannot by their actions atone for the evil that has taken root in Numenor - and if the Numenoreans themselves follow their King and sail west, their doom is sealed, and the pleas of another man, Elf-friend and Faithful though he be, is not enough for their transgression to be set aside. For if the rightful and true leader of those people lead them in this deed, and the people follow, they will be utterly destroyed from the face of the earth (and if Ar-Pharazon was not actually their 'rightful and true leader' - nevertheless, they accepted him as such when he seized the sceptre).

However, because they and others have remained Faithful, the preparations made for flight to Middle Earth by Amandil's son and grandsons will be honored. They will be spared, and carried to Middle Earth, and there they shall establish kingdoms - that the Numenoreans will be given a second chance to remain true.

Then Amandil and his servants are bodily taken away, the mist clears and all that remains is an empty ship.
That's more or less how I'd write it anyway... might change some wording after giving it more thought.

Last edited by Valandil : 01-25-2004 at 12:32 AM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 12:32 AM   #7
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
I've wondered about this some myself. We can't really 'know' of course, because Tolkien kept it a mystery. Maybe he never decided himself what happened. If it was up to me to fill in the gap though, here's what I'd have had happen:

That's more or less how I'd write it anyway... might change some wording after giving it more thought.
Where was that quote from?

--Linaewen
Old 01-25-2004, 12:34 AM   #8
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Where was that quote from?
Oh - sorry if I caused confusion. I totally made it up! Just put the 'story part' in quotes, hoping that would make it read easier!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 12:35 AM   #9
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Oh - sorry if I caused confusion. I totally made it up! Just put the 'story part' in quotes!
Oh, lol

--Linaewen
Old 09-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dúnedain View Post
His fate is unknown, but I was wondering what everyone thought of Amandil's quest and if he actually made it or not?

It is just another thing we won't know as Tolkien never states it, but what do you think and why?
I think he made it. Here's why:

Quote:
"But whether or no it were that Amandil came indeed to Valinor and Manwë hearkened to his prayer, by grace of the Valar Elendil and his sons and their people were spared from the ruin of that day."
The winds of the storm itself favored the ships of the Faithful, and even threw them onto the land in Middle Earth. Something was protecting them, even making their survival possible.

Even though it was left ambiguous, i think there's enough evidence pointing to his getting through.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

I think he made it to Eressea but not to the undying mainland. He was not allowed to intercede on behalf of Numenor but was allowed to live out his life quietly among the Elves of the lonely isle.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I think he made it to Eressea but not to the undying mainland. He was not allowed to intercede on behalf of Numenor but was allowed to live out his life quietly among the Elves of the lonely isle.
That's a nice thought, too. I was just talking about Amandil today on another board. If Tolkien had never created Elendil, then Amandil would have been my first love.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #13
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

It is said about Amandil and his followers that "never again were they heard of by word or sign in this world, nor is there any tale or guess of their fate".

But who came back to tell the tale about Ar-Pharazôn's journey and eventual landing in Aman?‎ There were no returning survivors?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
But who came back to tell the tale about Ar-Pharazôn's journey and eventual landing in Aman?‎ There were no returning survivors?
The Istari may have told the tale...
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

As for how Middle earth learned of the fate of Ar-Pharazon's invasion, I am confident the Valar communicated widely it one way or another. What would be the point of making an extreme example with showing it to those you would deter? I can imagine Lorien sending nightmares of Ar-Pharazon's and Numenor's disaster to all Middle Earth. I expect that whaterver word the Valar want to get out gets around one way or another.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 02-16-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote