Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2003, 02:35 AM   #1
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Why didn't Saruman take Gandalf's Ring?

I've taken the burden upon myself to start some new threads here, so here it goes.
So, why didn't Saruman take Narya from Gandalf? From UT, he evidently knew that Gandalf had one of the Three. Saruman certainly had ample opportunity to take it from Gandalf, and surely, even if it was of no use to him, Saruman would take it to lessen Gandalf's powers.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:39 AM   #2
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Are you sure that he did know that Gandalf had the ring?
If he knew, I guess that he didn't want one of the lesser rings and probably it wouldn't have been too easy to get the ring at all. I mean if it would have been that easy, other persons could have tried to get one either from Galadriel, Elrond or Gandalf.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:23 AM   #3
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

It says in Unfinished Tales:
Quote:
And the Grey Messenger [Gandalf] took the Ring, and kept it ever secret; yet the White Messenger [Saruman] ... after a time became aware of this gift, and begrudged it, and it was the beginning of the hidden ill-will that he bore to the Grey. ...
Sorry, I should have put that in my first post.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:16 AM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

It's a very good question. The only answer I can think of right now is that Saruman was convinced Gandalf would never escape from Orthanc, and that he would have plenty of time later to rip from him whatever he wanted to. Also he may not have been interested in Narya in itself, the power of this ring could give was not that sort of power he wanted. He was just jealous of the fact that it was Gandalf, and not himself, that had been given the honour to bear the ring.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:18 AM   #5
Baby-K
Corruptor

Perhaps Saruman was so intent on getting The One Ring, that he was blinded to the possibilities of possesing a lesser ring would hold?

Even though he begrudged Gandalf the ring that he had, he might have felt that owning the 'One' would be far better than what Gandalf had & would thus be an even greater 'revenge'?
Old 05-16-2003, 02:52 PM   #6
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Have you considered the possibility that Tolkien simply might have forgotten that Saruman knew about Gandalf's ring?

By the way, did Gandalf know that Saruman knew about his ring?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 03:04 PM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Have you considered the possibility that Tolkien simply might have forgotten that Saruman knew about Gandalf's ring?
You're onto something, but I think it's the other way around. The essay about the Istari, as given in UT, was written after the two first volumes of LotR. Could it be that Saruman knowing about Gandalv's ring wasn't known to Tolkien until then?
Old 05-16-2003, 03:38 PM   #8
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

If Saruman had the one ring why would he need to HAVE Gandalf's? He would control ALL the rings, whether he had them on his person or not. He didn't need to take Gandalf's.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:04 PM   #9
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Yeah, and wasn't he building essays of lesser rings? And I guess he didn't want to give himself away too soon as well - I would guess that he would rather have held out for the one ring, than to have pre-empted, and retrieved a lesser ring, and shown his hand to Gandalf. Doubtful that he could have controlled Gandalf's ring though. Hopefully Gandalf would have seen Saruman's intentions and passed the ring on.

Last edited by Sheeana : 05-16-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:06 PM   #10
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Perhaps this: Saruman prob. thought it would take a great deal of his power to wrest the ring from Gandalf, and he thought Gandalf was safe up in the tower, so why not just keep Gandalf on the "back burner" for awhile and keep his strength up to get the BIG ring.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 05:41 PM   #11
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

I, for some strange reason, never thought of Gandalf having the ring during the time of the quest, much less of Saruman knowing about it (thats the great thing about these threads...... they get me thinking). I agree with Rian's oppinion. I think he was probably just waiting, for something to happen.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 06:59 PM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Would saruman be able to "hide" his posession of the ring to sauron if he took it? Since they were in touch. and sauron could easily sense such things anyway. Wouldnt this have dashed all his plans of being the new ring lord if sauron suddenly knew he was hording a ring of power himself? Im guessing its not an easy task to shield the presence of the rings from sauron and his minions. and since he was in direct contact with sauron it would have been evern harder.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 07:36 PM   #13
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

That's very true. Also, perhaps Sarumaun thought that once he gained possesion of The One he could use it to bend Narya to his will, thus corrupting Gandalf and turning him into little more than a servant. Now THAT would be a revenge! *shudders* poor Gandalf, so many people seem to have it in for him But I still love him

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:12 PM   #14
azalea
Long lost mooter

I doubt Sauron would have known had Saruman had the ring, because I don't think he knew where the other rings were, and certainly Saruman had more power to hide it than Elrond and Galadriel, who were hiding theirs. Plus, would YOU want to be wearing one of those rings when Sauron found the One (as Saruman thought he might), and if HE found it first, what use would the lesser ring be to him? It would be more valuable to him if Gandalf still possessed it, and otherwise, it would be better for him if Gandalf had it than if he had it in the event that Sauron found the One.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:26 AM   #15
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I was under the impression that Gandalf did not recieve the ring before he became Gandalf the White.

This way he would not have had it when he visited Saruman.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 12:12 PM   #16
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

There's a little passage in the Sil that talks about Mithrandir (Gandalf) receiving the ring:
Quote:
from the Sil, Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age
Now all these things were achieved for the most part by the counsel and vigilance of Mithrandir, and in the last few days he was revealed as a lord of great reverence, and clad in white he rode into battle; but not until the time came for him to depart was it known that he had long guarded the Red Ring of Fire. At the first that Ring had been entrusted to C*rdan, Lord of the Havens; but he had surrendered it to Mithrandir, for he knew whence he came and whither at last he would return.
"Take now this Ring," he said; "for thy labours and thy cares will be heavy, but in all it will support thee and defend thee from weariness. For this is the Ring of Fire, and herewith, maybe, thou shalt rekindle hearts to the valour of old in a world that grows chill. But as for me, my heart is with the Sea, and I will dwell by the grey shores, guarding the Havens until the last ship sails. Then I shall await thee."
So it looks like Gandalf got the ring from C*rdan right when he first came to Middle Earth.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 05-20-2003 at 12:13 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 02:02 PM   #17
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Strider

However, if it was not known until his departure, then Gandalf did indeed keep it a secret from Sarumann, and everyone else save Cirdan.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:23 PM   #18
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Good question, cass.

My first idea was that if Saruman had known about Narya, he wouldn't have taken because he no longer wanted it. Something along the lines of "If stupid Cirdan'd rather give it to stupid Gandalf, fine then. Let him keep it. I don't want it anymore! I'll get me a better one."

A bit childish perhaps but I always found Saruman a bit childish with the whole act of laughing at Gandalf for smoking and then secretly acquiring pipeweed. You have to get that old and powerful to be reduced to this level of pettyness.

But a more logical explanation would probably be that Saruman desired only the One Ring. It had much greater power. And the Three were only safe because they were hidden. If their bearers were revealed to the One, it would have been a different matter. If Saruman had the One Ring, I think he could have more control over Gandalf through the connection of the rings because he knew that Gandalf had Narya.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:20 PM   #19
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Nooo!!! If Sarumaun controlled Gandalf it would be terrible!!

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 07:36 PM   #20
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I suppose the answer to this question depends how much credence you give to the text in UT. As Artanis said, it was written after the LOTR was written, so Tolkien would not have know that Saruman knew that Gandalf had the ring (whew, I hope that made sense!)
It's much easier for me to accept that Saruman simply didn't know about the ring. Though I can see that Gandalf would have no problem revealing the fact to him before he became aware that Saruman was searching for the One Ring.
I like Earniel's explanation as to why Saruman didn't take Narya: once Saruman had the One Ring he could control Gandalf.