Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 01:31 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

The Anti-theist Thread

Anduril started a thread to see the reasons why believers believe.

I would like to start one on why non-believers don't believe.

( please no semantics wars on the way the above where stated)

There were threads about religion before that have since been closed.

I believe ( though I could be wrong) the point of andurils thread was not to disparage believers or non- believers but to ask why they felt the way that they did.

so can we try to keep the thread bloodless if possible.

It may be awhile before I post here
The last religious debates wore me one.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 03-21-2002 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:43 AM   #2
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

*smiles* I was waiting for this from you Afro-elf. Not that it is a bad idea at all. I like the idea, and even if I can't contribute, you can bet I'll be checking back to see what goes on.

Fare thee well!
Old 03-21-2002, 02:05 AM   #3
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I would like that.

I'll be checking your thread too.

perhaps some understanding can be gleaned from these threads as opposed to the din of war that tended to happen before.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-21-2002, 02:27 AM   #4
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I say it is always healthy for me to know other people's views and ideas. It'll give me a chance to either reinforce, modify, or totally change my beliefs. By saying so, I don't mean by debating with people. I am talking about my own reflections.
I'll be listening.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Old 03-21-2002, 03:06 AM   #5
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Well, I should be posting my thoughts here, as a non-believer. But I don't know quite what to say yet. I'll think on it, and return with my views. Thanks for starting the thread, Afro-elf!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-21-2002, 03:15 AM   #6
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Although, Afro, I am just a little curious whether there is any negative connotation to the word Atheist or non-theist that you had to call this thread Anti-theist.

It sounds like it's got something against theists.

Oh well, just a thought. Please continue.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 03-21-2002, 05:42 AM   #7
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

It would have been better to call it the NON theism thread.

I think that anduril's thread was called Theism

I wantonly used anti just to show that this thread served the opposite purpose of that thread

I hope my error does not prevent you from your computer postings that are quite good.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-21-2002, 05:48 AM   #8
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Not at all. Just don't be too surprised if the thread title generates an ocasional knee-jerk reaction from some of our fellow mooters. LOL

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 03-21-2002, 10:40 AM   #9
Darth Tater
The man

I'm certainly not an Anti-Theist, but you could say I'm between world views.

I was raised in a very strict Orthodox Christian setting. However, I have never been one to follow blindly, so since I could first think for myself I have delved into the history and traditions of the church.

I recently went through a hard period in my life in which I did a lot of contemplating. I realized that I'm not what I've called myself my whole life. I don't live every moment thinking about Jesus or how to follow the Christian world view. Why not? Is it because I'm lazy? That's probably part of it, but there's more. The Christian religion is supposed to be built on love, but the more I looked into it (all forms of Christianity I could get info on) I found this ideal had been buried beneath millenia of a church run by man, not God.

I began to see things in the fabric of the religion that couldn't have anything to do with the divine. Church rules that promoted hate, not love, no matter how much they said "hate the sin, not the sinner." Traditions that could not possibly be true, and were obviously the work of an overactive medieval imagination. And then it all began to fall appart. I saw a desperation in the traditions that had been invisible to me before because I shared it. I saw a religion that trampled the personal, that diluted spirituality through canons upon canons upon canons. But these were what the church was built on! I looked at religions that had not followed the ancient traditions, which is basically every other form of Christianity (fact, not opinion, but we're not here to debate). Gone were these canons, but what little spirituality remained in Orthodoxy was gone as well.

I've decided what I need right now is a connection with the world that is beyond this one. I'm not sure what that is, but I know that, at least now, the path there for me is not through organized religion.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:43 PM   #10
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Damn I should have posted my nerdly (and proud) opinion on this thread. Gah, well see the theism thread for why i don't believe (if anyone's interested)
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:37 PM   #11
Elvet
Elven Warrior

I do not follow any religion, nor do I believe in any god. I do have ethics and morals that govern my behavior, but these come from within me and are independent of external dogma.
I have always felt that religions exist to help guide people though life and to provide some framework for them to base their beliefs on. At this time, I have never needed to know why we are nor what happens when we expire. I have never had enough sadness touch my life that I couldn't accept, nor too much happiness that I had to thank any external force for. This, of course may change and I may need to look for answers in other's beliefs.
I respect other's beliefs, and I'm sure they are as comfortable in their religions as I am in my lack of one.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:47 PM   #12
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
I recently went through a hard period in my life in which I did a lot of contemplating. I realized that I'm not what I've called myself my whole life. I don't live every moment thinking about Jesus or how to follow the Christian world view. Why not? Is it because I'm lazy? That's probably part of it, but there's more. The Christian religion is supposed to be built on love, but the more I looked into it (all forms of Christianity I could get info on) I found this ideal had been buried beneath millenia of a church run by man, not God.

I began to see things in the fabric of the religion that couldn't have anything to do with the divine. Church rules that promoted hate, not love, no matter how much they said "hate the sin, not the sinner." Traditions that could not possibly be true, and were obviously the work of an overactive medieval imagination. And then it all began to fall appart. I saw a desperation in the traditions that had been invisible to me before because I shared it. I saw a religion that trampled the personal, that diluted spirituality through canons upon canons upon canons. But these were what the church was built on! I looked at religions that had not followed the ancient traditions, which is basically every other form of Christianity (fact, not opinion, but we're not here to debate). Gone were these canons, but what little spirituality remained in Orthodoxy was gone as well.

I've decided what I need right now is a connection with the world that is beyond this one. I'm not sure what that is, but I know that, at least now, the path there for me is not through organized religion.
Wow! You put it more eloquently than I could ever have. I think I am at a similar stage to this. Although I am not against organized religion in principle. It's good for believers to have a community. But the nature of the "organization" can sometimes not be what it should. I want to find a religion where I can see beyond the facade that humans put to dress up or manipulate a faith. If I can strip away the "church" and still see a good and noble and honest principle, and then look again and see that it is still present in the "church" reflected through it's history and present actions, then I will be more sympathetic.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:55 PM   #13
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Although I was raised on a very catholic school, I tend to be more of the agnostic side. I started out as a catholic, but around the age of 16, I started to explore the current, modern world a little further. And I noticed how many conflicts have a religious basis. That put me off of it, I guess. I thought that if this is what religion does, I want no part in it. I can't find it in me to follow the religions as they are practised today. And I have an aversion of people trying to force a religion on another.

I do believe that religion might mean a lot to some people and I'm glad for them to have such a thing to believe in. I leave the question open whether there is a god or more of them, but I don't really think so.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:43 PM   #14
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

The first thing that killed my belief was depression, but after I had gotten through it using my own will-power and my own drive, I realized that the more I relied on myself and praised myself for my accomplishments and not "someone else", I felt happier and more complete. Doing it the way everyone else did just did not work for me, or help me for that matter. Later on, after I had built up my belief in myself, I started digging into religion. I started comparing religions, and I tried searching for why did religion even exist.

How I see it, is when people began developing complex thought, the idea that they were alone and all that was to life was right in front of them, upset them. Plus, strange occurences were always happening around them that they didn't understand (natural disasters). What's the first thought that pops in your head? There must be something more. There must be someone out there that we can't see. And if there's someone we can't see, where do they live? In a place that we can't see.

We now know why natural disasters happen, and we can prove how. Religion, all in all, is to explain that which we don't understand. It's also to explain what we call "miracales". Even today there are still things we don't get, which I believe someday we might. Religion is there to answer the big question we've always wanted answered: why are we here? You're here because you're here - that's how I see it. I don't need some big, mystical meaning behind human existance to feel like I'm worthy of living.

Sometimes, I see religion as a weakness. A good deal of people can't live without the idea of something more because humans have always wanted something more. We've always wanted eternal bliss, and immortality, and a reason for everything. But I don't need any of that: all I need to live is life. And the bottom line is: that's good enough for me.

I'm happy, and I live the best life I can because of it. I don't feel I need "something more" to validate my existance. A lot of people live good lives because of religion - that's great. It really is. If it makes you a better person, then I don't see the harm. But if you're just following it because you want some deep, profound meaning for your life (which is usually the point), I think that's where the weakness comes in. You should already have meaning: friends, family, living, and yourself.

Also, concerning religion you have the spiritual immortality: after you die, you either go to Heaven or Hell and live there forever. I would rather live and short happy life and fade out of existance, than live forever either in bliss or pain. Basically, I do not want to live forever. I don't care if it's Heaven or Hell - I just don't want it. If there is a beginning for something, there should be an end for it; say like, yin and yang or good and evil. You can't have one without the other. Immortality, spiritual or physical, is just not for me.

Hmm...sorry if this is lengthy

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 03-21-2002 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:15 PM   #15
Darth Tater
The man

So basically you're not religious because you don't wanna live forever?
Old 03-21-2002, 10:21 PM   #16
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Darth tater... may i share a paraphrased wuote with you?

Quote:
You idiots! All your vaunted religion is nothing moore than rules made by man! You turn away from god in order to follow worthless traditions!

~Jesus Christ
Old 03-21-2002, 10:36 PM   #17
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
So basically you're not religious because you don't wanna live forever?
I think if you read what I typed very closely, you would see why I'm not religious. I believe I pointed it out at least five or more times
Old 03-21-2002, 10:42 PM   #18
Darth Tater
The man

Wayfarer, paraphrased is right!!! I assume you're trying desperately to make that the money-changers quote right?

Oh and RE I made a funny, but then I told you that in AIM so why am I posting it here?
Old 03-22-2002, 12:10 AM   #19
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Because you're weird like that?
Old 03-22-2002, 03:44 PM   #20
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Actually, tater, he does say something like that.

It was only paraphrased because I couldn't remember exactly what he said.

I'll look it up anbd get back to you, ok?
Closed Thread