Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Here is my 1010101010-pic - the text to the tune of 12 days of Christmas:

Old 10-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #82
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Why? I mean, could you develop just a tiny bit?
It's part of the complicated history of this little island.
Taiwan was basically settled by Han (ethnic) Chinese, starting about 350 years ago, who displaced the local aborigines (relatives of Filipinos and Polynesians). It was only gradually made part of the Chinese Empire under the Manchus.

Then came the Sino-Japanese War, and in 1895 Japan stripped it away from China and made it a Japanese colony. Japanese was taught in school, Japanese customs were introduced, etc.

Meanwhile, back in mainland China, the Chinese Revolution of 1911 overthrew the Empire and established the Republic of China (ROC). Taiwan remained a colony of Japan until 1945 , when in the wake of WWII it was handed back to China. China at that time was in the midst of a civil war between the Nationalists (Guomindang, older spelling KuoMinTang/KMT) and the Communists under Mao Tse-Tung, which the Nationalists lost. They were expelled from China -which is now officially the People's Republic of China (PRC)- and held on to Taiwan as their last refuge (leading to the joke that the real father of the ROC is the US 7th Fleet)

Most Taiwanese were happy to rejoin China until the KMT actually took over. The Japanese had been stern, even brutal, but honest and competent. The KMT had the brutality but were corrupt and incompetent. There were massacres of the locals and anybody who objected was 'disappeared' in what is now known as the "White Terror"- charged with either being Communists or supporting Taiwanese independence.

The KMT gradually improved, the economy took off, and a policy of localisation and democracy was slowly implemented- the place was still under martial law when I first got here.

So now the population is divided between those who want reunification with China and those who want independence. The independence supporters say that the 1911 revolution celebrated on 10/10 is a Chinese celebration that has nothing to do with Taiwan.

Sorry to go on, but as I say, it's got a complicated history.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 10-10-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #83
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I'd say

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 10-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #84
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
The independence supporters say that the 1911 revolution celebrated on 10/10 is a Chinese celebration that has nothing to do with Taiwan.
Yes... it was this last part I didn't know about - that independence supporters didn't like to celebrate and why not.

Being an amateur sinologist myself, I already knew the rest of the history quite well But thanks anyway for telling!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:38 AM   #85
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I'd love to. At the moment, with so many things on my mind, a few minutes in a sunny garden is precisely what I need
It's been lovely. The sun's low, but still pretty warm (I still got sunburn), some of the trees are starting to colour and the autumn flowers are out in full force. I'm counting eleven butterflies on the asters, enjoying perhaps their last days of sun before hibernation.

Quote:
Eh, tell me of one country that hasn't got a complicated history, and I'll be rather surprised.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #86
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Such weathers. We got sleet yesterday eve. There's no way anything but a vampire could get a sunburn here. ...I must have natural sunlotion.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #87
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
It's part of the complicated history of this little island.
Taiwan was basically settled by Han (ethnic) Chinese, starting about 350 years ago, who displaced the local aborigines (relatives of Filipinos and Polynesians). It was only gradually made part of the Chinese Empire under the Manchus.

Then came the Sino-Japanese War, and in 1895 Japan stripped it away from China and made it a Japanese colony. Japanese was taught in school, Japanese customs were introduced, etc.

Meanwhile, back in mainland China, the Chinese Revolution of 1911 overthrew the Empire and established the Republic of China (ROC). Taiwan remained a colony of Japan until 1945 , when in the wake of WWII it was handed back to China. China at that time was in the midst of a civil war between the Nationalists (Guomindang, older spelling KuoMinTang/KMT) and the Communists under Mao Tse-Tung, which the Nationalists lost. They were expelled from China -which is now officially the People's Republic of China (PRC)- and held on to Taiwan as their last refuge (leading to the joke that the real father of the ROC is the US 7th Fleet)

Most Taiwanese were happy to rejoin China until the KMT actually took over. The Japanese had been stern, even brutal, but honest and competent. The KMT had the brutality but were corrupt and incompetent. There were massacres of the locals and anybody who objected was 'disappeared' in what is now known as the "White Terror"- charged with either being Communists or supporting Taiwanese independence.

The KMT gradually improved, the economy took off, and a policy of localisation and democracy was slowly implemented- the place was still under martial law when I first got here.

So now the population is divided between those who want reunification with China and those who want independence. The independence supporters say that the 1911 revolution celebrated on 10/10 is a Chinese celebration that has nothing to do with Taiwan.

That IS interesting, GM. I didn't know that Taiwan only had 4 years of history with mainland China in the ROC. I assumed it had been part of ROC before WW2.

The original Chinese settlement you mention - did those Han Chinese speak Mandarin? Or did the use of Mandarin only come in strongly starting in 1945?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #88
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Aww, sad day. Joan Sutherland (super famous opera singer) died.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #89
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
Awww little Link is in college! So exciting! We've missed you <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
Of course we did. How are ya, Link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
LINK!!!!

-gives her a Mootpounce-

Missed ya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
Hi there Shesa - long time no see - wish u a great day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Hiya Link! I've been keeping up with your life through FB
I'm glad you like it so much.
^^ I've missed everyone so much! I'm glad to be here again . I would very much like to get back into the Teacup groove of things!

Mari, that's why facebook is such a charm, isn't it .

College is going really well, I know, I'm finally there . But, I am going to be moving out next year cossssssssss...drumrollllllll...
I'm studying abroad in Barcelona for a year! As a Spanish Education major, I am super excited to be living in Spain...even though they speak Catalan in Barcelona, it's going to be perfect. I might end up staying there permenantly too, so we'll see! I am super excited for next year ^^. Can't wait to share all of my adventures with you .
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
Old 10-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #90
katya
Elven Maiden

Wow! That's AWESOME! I can't wait to hear all about how much fun you're having.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #91
Mari
Elf Lady

And of course you'll come visit the Netherlands, right? Right?!? RIGHT?!?
But no pressure or anything...

()

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 10-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #92
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

hahaha I actually plan to travel during my breaks while I am over there, so I actually might! Italy is top on my list, though I just have to go back there. I'm ready for it to be summer so that I can go abroad . Super totally excited for my life right now

twitter
Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #93
katya
Elven Maiden

I talked for a long time with the cutest young boy from Italy the other day. But i forgot the most important part- to ask him about Italian pizza. I suppose I could Google it...
Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #94
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Italian pizza is CHEESY. I mean, I guess that is pretty much common sense, but it is really cheesy XD. How did you come across a boy from Italy? Please tell me I'm not the only one addicted to chatroulette...XDXDXD

twitter
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #95
katya
Elven Maiden

Hahaha no, it was in a class I was teaching. Once I found out he was from Italy I had to go talk to him and ask a bunch of questions. He was quite a gentleman.

I am all about cheese. I would give up dairy altogether if it weren't for cheese. But there is a limit, I think. The Hacienda's cheese quesadillas are cheese inside a tortilla with tons more cheese on top. It's like eating cheese with tortilla in it rather than a tortilla with cheese in it. It's so ridiculous.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #96
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Before the day is over, Happy Thanksgiving to any Canucks out there. Even the ones in Taiwan. *wave GM*

Cheese is really, really awesome. However, even without it, I still couldn't give up whole milk.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 10-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #97
katya
Elven Maiden

I do admit that I would also have to buy milk (generally 2%) for dipping Oreos in. And the Oreos themselves have cream in them.... but anyway that's the only other exception. Oreos are a once in a while thing, cheese is more a part of my life.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #98
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I started writing an angry pop/country song.

You can thank me later.

So... I assumed everyone would make fun of me when they found out that I'm trying to write music now, since that makes me a singer/songwriter.... but surprisingly people have been taking me seriously. I'm not entirely sure how to handle that. There has been a little teasing, but not on the massive level I was expecting. I know what to do when people make fun of me, I'm not entirely sure how to react when people say, "OMG! THAT'S AWESOME! What are you writing?! Can I hear it?!"

It's like.... Oh snap, now I have to come up with something decent. O_o
Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #99
katya
Elven Maiden

Haha yeah. Sometimes I tell people I write novels and then I have to say "Oh they are not good though you can't read them." I think it's way cool that you're trying to write songs though.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #100
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
Haha yeah. Sometimes I tell people I write novels and then I have to say "Oh they are not good though you can't read them." I think it's way cool that you're trying to write songs though.
It's funny because when I would say, "I'm a singer," people would rarely say, "Oh, sing me something," but now if I mention that I'm trying to write music people go nuts. It's weird.

Also, I love cheese. I always get stuff with massive amounts of cheese on it when I go to Mexican or Italian restaurants. I don't mind eating a tortilla wrapped in cheese, with more cheese on the inside. And no, I would NOT like some more tortilla to go with that cheese.
Closed Thread