Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Torongil
Hobbit

Useless Dwarves?

Did Tolkien purposely make the Dwarves seem useless ? How much did they help out really? It seems all throughout the journey, they were nothing but trouble for Bilbo.

They are constantly getting caught, Grumbling, and don't really help out much. They do sometimes lend a hand (mostly Balin) but more often then not they are constantly getting into trouble.

Any thoughts?
Torongil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Speaking in terms of plot and writing, yes, one can argue Tolkien did indeed made the Dwarves less active and efficient to give Bilbo a chance to shine, even though a lot of that is by luck or observation.

Although if you look to the actual world-building, none of the Middle-earthern Dwarves make very good adventurers, apart maybe from Gimli who seemed an exception on several levels. In that it kind of makes you wonder why Gandalf only insisted on one non-Dwarven companion, clearly they could have used all the help they could get. But perhaps he thought himself going along for a bit of the road would be enough.

But despite being perhaps lousy adventurers, they make well up by being tough and most capable fighters. The way the thirteen Dwarves ready and hold the Lonely Mountain to withstand invasion speaks volumes of where their value lies.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Recall the internal logic of The Hobbit. It is written by Bilbo about his adventure. Perhaps he was not so dilligent in observing and recording the good points and contribution of the Dwarves as he was about himself.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
Draken
Elf Lord

And don't forget The Hobbit is definitely aimed at children - the dwarves are often used to provide light relief.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote