Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2003, 03:19 PM   #1
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

Is Harry related to Voldemort?

My friend and I came up with this theory...
Harry could easily be related to Voldemort. I personally think Voldemort could be Harry's grandfather. James Potter's dad. Voldemort should be about 57 years old in book 5. So the age works. This could also explain why Voldemort wanted to kill Harry in the first place. He could have been afraid that Harry would inherit his powers, and eventually overthrow him, or something like that.
The only problem with my theory is that Harry should have the same last name as Voldemort, which would be Riddle. So maybe James Potter was adopted, and his last name was changed? Or maybe Voldemort is related to Harry in a different way. Maybe he's his uncle, or something like that?
Or maybe, Voldemort is Lily Potter's father. They makes sense too, becuase all the rumors say we will find out something big about Lily in future books. Also, rumors say that Harry's and Lily's green eyes are important. Slytherin's house color is green. Voldemort is an heir to Slytherin...? The only problem with Voldemort being Lily's father is Petunia. Wouldn't she know if her father was a dark lord?
Anyway I just thought this was an interesting idea... any thoughts?
I know I have way too much time on my hands...

Last edited by Sylvee Estel : 04-19-2003 at 04:04 PM.
Sylvee Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 06:15 PM   #2
Galadwen
Sapling

Maybe Petunia was a squib, and she and her sister were raised by other muggles related to magical people?? Just a thought.
Galadwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 06:56 PM   #3
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

*shrugs* Who knows? Either Petunia's a Squib, or some relative of Vernon's, and that's Voldemort.
*sniggers* Betcha Petunia's a Squib and that's why she hates the wizarding world.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:25 PM   #4
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

harry only has some of voldemorts powers because his curse gave some of the power to harry when he tried to kill harry. i dont think they are related
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:20 AM   #5
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
problem....

Harry's mom is a Mudblood...for lack of better words.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:34 AM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

You'd hope that in the several hundred years of writing in the English language after Shakespeare, people would eventually stop using the Surprise Biological Revelation bit... it worked in Star Wars, sure, but I don't see how making Harry and Voldemort related would serve any storytelling purpose - especially in relation to how we see the first four books.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:59 AM   #7
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
You'd hope that in the several hundred years of writing in the English language after Shakespeare, people would eventually stop using the Surprise Biological Revelation bit... it worked in Star Wars, sure, but I don't see how making Harry and Voldemort related would serve any storytelling purpose - especially in relation to how we see the first four books.

AMEN!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 03:33 PM   #8
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Re: Is Harry related to Voldemort?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sylvee Estel
My friend and I came up with this theory...
Harry could easily be related to Voldemort. I personally think Voldemort could be Harry's grandfather. James Potter's dad. Voldemort should be about 57 years old in book 5. So the age works. This could also explain why Voldemort wanted to kill Harry in the first place. He could have been afraid that Harry would inherit his powers, and eventually overthrow him, or something like that.
The only problem with my theory is that Harry should have the same last name as Voldemort, which would be Riddle. So maybe James Potter was adopted, and his last name was changed? Or maybe Voldemort is related to Harry in a different way. Maybe he's his uncle, or something like that?
Or maybe, Voldemort is Lily Potter's father. They makes sense too, becuase all the rumors say we will find out something big about Lily in future books. Also, rumors say that Harry's and Lily's green eyes are important. Slytherin's house color is green. Voldemort is an heir to Slytherin...?

Well, I don't think Harry will be related to Voldemort. Rowling was asked about that in interviews, and while she didn't actually deny it, she did say it would be "a bit Star Wars."

Also, I think if Voldie was 16 fifty years ago in Chamber of Secrets, then he's about 68 by the time he returns. Middle-aged for a wizard.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sylvee Estel
The only problem with Voldemort being Lily's father is Petunia. Wouldn't she know if her father was a dark lord?
Yes, that would explain her fear of all things magic...

But if Voldie was so worried about anyone who could inherit his magic, then

Why did Voldie tell Lily to "stand aside" when he was trying to kill Harry and James Potter? (as seen by Harry in the third book) Wouldn't he have killed her too? And for that matter, why was James an issue at all?

IF, on the other hand, Voldie happens to be the father or uncle of James Potter, this might make a little more sense.

In either case, I don't think that Harry and Voldemort will turn out to be related.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:34 AM   #9
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Well, there's a chance he might, but I don't think so. Harry's just not the evil-type. Sure, he has some of Voldemort's powers, like Parseltongue, but it's because they rubbed off when Harry survived Voldemort's attack.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:25 PM   #10
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Hey I've got a good idea lets wait till the 5th book comes out to discuss this topic if it needs discussing at all. But I do have a few comments I would like to make. If Harry is in some way related to Voldie then Rowling is a copy cat!!! However if he is not related to Voldie then that leaves a bigger problem...Why did he want to kill Harry in the first place? It obviously isn't a question of his parents because Voldie was all but ready to let them live if they had stood aside. And does anyone know what the 5th book is about?
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 07:51 PM   #11
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fimbrethil
Hey I've got a good idea lets wait till the 5th book comes out to discuss this topic if it needs discussing at all. But I do have a few comments I would like to make. If Harry is in some way related to Voldie then Rowling is a copy cat!!! However if he is not related to Voldie then that leaves a bigger problem...Why did he want to kill Harry in the first place? It obviously isn't a question of his parents because Voldie was all but ready to let them live if they had stood aside. And does anyone know what the 5th book is about?
I don't think Rowling will have Harry be related to Voldie, but if she did, you could hardly call her a copy cat! The theme of the hero somehow being related to the villain is actually fairly common in literature. Star Wars is probably the most commonly cited example of this, but it is certainly not the first, or the last. (if you want examples of "everyone's somehow related," just look at Charles Dickens).

Thus, that idea is so commonly used that it no longer belongs to just one person!

Still, it IS getting a bit old, and I sincerely hope Rowling finds a somewhat fresher idea!
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:50 AM   #12
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I'm almost certain Harry is not related to Voldemort. As a plot device, it's tired and boring, and thematically, it doesn't work with the idea that it's our choices, not our blood, which is important. I'm also sure I've read an interview with JK Rowling where she was asked this question and she replied: "That would be a bit Star Wars, don't you think?"
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 03:05 PM   #13
Fimbrethil

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
I'm almost certain Harry is not related to Voldemort. As a plot device, it's tired and boring, and thematically, it doesn't work with the idea that it's our choices, not our blood, which is important. I'm also sure I've read an interview with JK Rowling where she was asked this question and she replied: "That would be a bit Star Wars, don't you think?"
Acutally it would work with the idea that it's your choices not your blood that's important. Because Harry would have an evil person's blood but he himself would not be evil because of the choices he made. Not that I support the idea that Harry be related to Voldie on the contrary I think he should not, but I had a point to this post and now I've forgotten it...

Old 04-28-2003, 06:55 PM   #14
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Quote:
Originally posted by Fimbrethil
However if he is not related to Voldie then that leaves a bigger problem...Why did he want to kill Harry in the first place?
Because Voldemort was a murderer who took pleasure in seeing others in pain.

Just because Voldemort tried to kill Harry doesn't mean he did it for a reason!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:40 PM   #15
Fimbrethil

Ahem! Excuse me but in the first book Domblly-dorr certanilly says there was a reason Harry asks in the first book: "Why did Voldie want to kill me?"Domblly-dorr answers:"Alas the first thing you ask me I cannot tell you. Not today. Not now."
And another thing why would some one work soooooo hard to kill a person who has defeated him 3 times, for no reason?

Last edited by Fimbrethil : 05-08-2003 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:43 PM   #16
Fimbrethil

Why is it that no one ever posts after me? Do I make such stupids points that they aren't worth commenting on or is it because I smell bad?

Old 05-08-2003, 09:20 PM   #17
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

because you call voldemort voldie and dumbledore dommbly dore
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 06:52 AM   #18
Fimbrethil

I only did that cause Voldiemort is just to long to keep spelling out and the Domblly-dorr thing try looking at what Madam Maxime calls Dombldore in the 4th book.

Old 05-11-2003, 12:25 PM   #19
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Yes, Voldemort and Harry are related. Voldemort is Harry's grandfather, Lily's father. Lily was raised by muggles, not knowing about who her father is until only days before she got admitted to Hogwarts. Petunia did not know this at all.

How do I know this? Guess
Old 05-11-2003, 12:39 PM   #20
Elf Girl
Lurker

I will bet you the One Ring he's the heir to Voldemort on his father's side. (Remember, Voldy didn't need to kill Lily.)

As I said in the heir to Gryffindor thread:
It would give purpose to Harry's conflict in Book 2 about whether he belonged in Slytherin or Gryffindor. Also, in Book 1 Dumbledore said Harry was "not ready to hear" why Voldemort wanted to kill him. I don't think being the heir of Gryffindor would have such a dramatic effect on Harry that Dumbledore would have to wait, whereas being related to Voldemort definately would.

The day after book five comes out, I will probably be able to say 'I told you so.'
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote