Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

HP and the Sorcerer's Stone

Hey, I finally got around to reading HP and the SS and watching the movie. The book was very funny and interesting, and I liked the movie, too. I"m looking forward to reading the next book now - which one is it?

I felt it didn't have the depth that LOTR and Narnia has, but it was certainly well-written and fun!

And what's the general feeling for HP fans about the movies?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Keep reading! I thought HP had a lot more depth than Narnia.....Inked??? (never more than LoTR though!)

The second one is the one with Gilderoy Lockheart...I'm having a *semi-senior moment* and can't remember the title....
Old 02-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Just to jump in... I am baffled by there being American versions of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone". This book was written in English. Most Americans speak and read English. Why the translation (and I use the word loosely here)?

The Philosopher's Stone is part of a legend, and the object sought by alchemists to turn lead into gold, and to achieve immortality.

The Sorcerer's Stone... has no meaning at all. JK Rowling chose the title with Philosopher's Stone for a reason.

Further, Americans are not stupid and I think this myth should be disspelled. Americans are perfectly capable of figuring out that the jumpers that Ron and Harry got for Christmas are what us North Americans call sweaters, etc.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think there's just a few changes - some majorly Brit slang that we Yanks wouldn't understand, that's all (at least those Americans that don't hang out on international boards like Entmoot!)

Is there a list of changes anywhere? That would be interesting to see!

Lizra - "semi-senior moment" - LOL! My sister-in-law called me yesterday and said, "I'm sorry, I think I forgot to call you and wish you happy birthday a few weeks ago!" I said, "That's one of the good things about being old - I don't remember you not calling!"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:07 PM   #5
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

The next one is Chamber of Secrets. They get better and more in depth as you go along.

I agree, it was stupid to change it. Okay, some of the changes we might think are funny- for example, jumpers, or I was reading the British version of PoA and Harry's reading under the bed with a torch (flashlight) which would get the bed on fire if it was an American torch, but I mean, seriously. We're not complete idiots. There are plenty of non-"translated" books we read, and it's fine. *sigh*
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:27 PM   #6
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Yeah, I feel a little jipped at getting the Socerer's stone instead of the Philosopher's stone! Actually...now that I think about it, I've never read the american version! We took a trip to england and mom left our copy of SS (which I hadnt read at the time) so she bought PS over there, and thats when I read it. Heh, thats kinda funny. There's no major differences, but I still dont get why they changed the name itself...Sorcerer and Philosopher arent even synonyms.

If I can stop one heart from aching, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Though she be but little, she is fierce! -MSND
PippinTook is offline   Reply With Quote