Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-01-2007, 12:44 AM   #41
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Therefore, Hectorberlioz, if there's "actually a thread about this," and you have "actually talked at great length about Ian McKellen's influence on the story, and what he said in the commentaries about the hobbits holding hands being an implication of gayhood," then I wonder: why is it suddenly so difficult for you to quote your sources & supporting evidence right here, right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorberlioz
Because I'm sick of the topic, that's why. I'm sorry, but there's no more energy that I want to put into it. Try the "Will the Hobbit Movie Happen" thread, where it is discussed at length.

If you're sick of the topic, then why'd you make the comment in the first place? That makes no sense at all.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 11-01-2007 at 12:45 AM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #42
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

It makes perfect sense, Lotsy.

I'm not having a go at hector here, just making the observation that the whole genre: LOTR, Harry Botter, that sort of thing, seems to appeal equally to people from all parts of the political colour wheel.

You've got your overtly religious stuff like Narnia, nostalgic conservative themes in LOTR, the overtly anti-religious His Dark Materials, and everything in between.

Then you factor in how in fantasy, people invest quite a lot of themselves in bringing the story to life in their minds. They feel a sense of ownership of it.

The result is mucho mewling and puking when the author comes out as having a different perspective on things to them.

e.g. Personally, I never saw Christian themes in LOTR until I read some of the Letters and secondary analysis by others. It didn't put me off though!

The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:35 AM   #43
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

GafferBaby, I'm telling Hectorberlioz that it makes no sense for him to stoutly refuse to back up or explain his claim that Ian McKellan implicated "gayness" on screen in the Lord of the Rings film trilogy, which bothered Hector, yet he stoutly refuses to provide us with evidence and references to evidence to support this claim of his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz

The "gay" Gandalf thing of Ian McKellen did bother me, because he was implicating something that was far from JRRT's intent ON SCREEN!
Ian McKellan did not implicate homosexuality on screen when he portrayed Gandalf in Peter Jackson's films. Hectorberlioz' response to my request that he support this claim of his was answered with "Watch the commentaries." I have done so, many times, and still do not see anything therein which supports this claim that Ian McKellan implicated homosexuality in these films.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:29 AM   #44
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Sure, and the reason he isn't doing so is because he's still in shock.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #45
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I remember a bit in the commentaries when McKellen insisted on Sam's holding Frodo's hand in the scene at Rivendell, and tied it in with his (McKellen's) homosexuality, but that's all I can recall offhand.

I wonder if book 7 is available at the library yet? I'll have to go check. I know a lot of people were disappointed, but I'd still like to read it and complete the series. I always liked Dumbledore, and how the first actor (wasn't it Richard Harris?) portrayed him - I've never liked the second actor, though.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-01-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #46
katya
Elven Maiden

I thought this was some sort of joke at first... It never even occurred to me that Dumbledore was gay. But I guess that's because he's an old guy. If he was a pretty boy, I'd probably be looking for hints that he might be, hahaha.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #47
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
I thought this was some sort of joke at first... It never even occurred to me that Dumbledore was gay. But I guess that's because he's an old guy. If he was a pretty boy, I'd probably be looking for hints that he might be, hahaha.
See? It just goes to show you, you never can tell. Not every single gay or bi person "lives the lifestyle," as they say, looks/acts/dresses the part and is obviously one way rather than another. You just never can tell. Lookit how many high-level politicians, senators & the like who manage to live their entire lives (almost) as gay men/women, without anyone at all ever having had the tiniest idea that they were actually gay? Only until either the person themself outs themself, or they get busted in a public bathroom having gay sex with strangers...

Old 11-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #48
katya
Elven Maiden

Well, being gay isn't a lifestyle, until people make it one. I know lots of not straight people that you'd never know until they mention it.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #49
inked
Elf Lord

Hey, here's another springboard for discussion from the authorial comment...

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dorf/20....html#continue

Who would have thought that HP and the US Constitution and interpretation would find common ground?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote