Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-12-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Maedhros and Gwindor

Okay. This has been bothering me for a while. If there's an old thread on it, I'm sorry, but I couldn't find it.

The Silmarillion:
Quote:
At first his own people did not know Gwindor, who went out young and strong, and returned now seeming as one of the aged among mortal men…
The Lost Road and Other Writings:
Quote:
Maidros the chief of Feanor's sons did deeds of surpassing valor, and the Orcs could not endure the light of his face; for since his torment upon Thangorodrim his spirit burned with a white fire within, and he was as one that returneth from the dead, keen and terrible; and they fled before him.
After returning from Angband, Gwindor is only a shadow of his former self, while Maedhros, if anything, seems stronger and enhanced because of it. Physically, why are they so different afterwards? Surely Gwindor's torment could not have been worse than Maedhros's. Mentally, was Maedhros more negatively affected than it seems, and is there any evidence?

Any ideas?

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 07:03 PM   #2
Manveru
Elven Warrior

i dont think that Maedhros was in Angband as long as Gwindor, and his torment was very different. Maedhros was a hostage:

Quote:
Morgoth held Maedhros as hostage, and sent word that he would not release him unless the Noldor would forsake their war
But Gwindor was forced to toil in Angband:

Quote:
Many of the Noldor and Sindar they took captive and led to Angband, and made them thralls, forcing them to use their skill and knowledge in the service of Morgoth. And Morgoth sent out his spies... But the Noldor feared most the treachery of their own kin, who had been thralls in Angband; for Morgoth used some of these for his evil purposes, feigning to give them liberty sent them abroad, but their wills were chained to his, and they strayed only to come back to him. Therefore if any of is captives escaped in truth, and returned to their own people, they had little welcome, and wandered alone outlawed and desperate.
so i think that whereas Maedhros was basically just left in a dungeon and then chained to a wall, Gwindor was a slave of Morgoth and worked endlessly in his mines and smithys, so when Maedhros was freed he wanted revenge on Morgoth, but when Gwindor escaped he was utterly exhausted and he appeared old and frail.
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Actually, I considered that.

Okay, Turin was 8 years old at the Nirnaeth and dwelt in Thingol's halls for 9 years. He wandered around for X years, and was still just entering full manhood when Gwindor brought him to Nargothrond. So, in my estimation, Gwindor was probably in Angband somewhere between 10 and 15 years.

In an old post, it had been stated that Maedhros was a captive for 23-24 years of the sun.

Personally... I think that being hanged off a cliff for that long is worse than toiling in a dungeon...

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

For a human, perhaps.

For an Elf, whose body is meant to last forever, just hanging there probably wouldn't nescessarily be that tormentous, as long as A) The stress wasn't more than they could handle, and B) They still got whatever sustenance they needed. I can easily see a healthy elf being able to 'hang around' practically forever in those conditions.

Also - is it explicitly stated that Maedhros was left hanging from the cliff? I always thought he had been left standing on a ledge, with one arm chained above his head (otherwise how would Fingon have been able to get alongside him and cut him down?)
Old 12-12-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Therefore Morgoth took Maedhros and hung him from the face of a precipice upon Thangorodrim...
Now... our favourite dictionary says:

precipice
1. An overhanging or extremely steep mass of rock, such as a crag or the face of a cliff.
2. The brink of a dangerous or disastrous situation: on the precipice of defeat.

too many definitions for "hung"
#1 says "To fasten from above with no support from below; suspend."

I think that's explicit.

And it is described as "torment", and of course, Morgoth isn't exactly a nice guy...

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-12-2004, 10:51 PM   #6
Maedhros
The Tall

This one is for my friend Artanis!

Let's get the facts straight:
Maedhros was captured in 1498 Age of the Trees.
Maedhros was released from Angband in the year 5 of the FA. (Age of the Sun)
I have made a transformation since the beginning of time, through the end of the first age. The time between his capture and release would be aprox: 720005 - 719712 years of the sun = 293 years in which he was imprisioned.
Or if you prefer 2*144 + 5 = 293 years. (See Annals of Aman for the dates)
(Note= 1 Valian year = 144 sun years. ) See note 5 of Myths Transfomred in Morgoth's Rings

As for Gwindor:
He was captured in 472 FA and released in 489 FA. So he was held for 17 years.

Therefore comments like these:
Quote:
i dont think that Maedhros was in Angband as long as Gwindor, and his torment was very different.
Quote:
Okay, Turin was 8 years old at the Nirnaeth and dwelt in Thingol's halls for 9 years. He wandered around for X years, and was still just entering full manhood when Gwindor brought him to Nargothrond. So, in my estimation, Gwindor was probably in Angband somewhere between 10 and 15 years.

In an old post, it had been stated that Maedhros was a captive for 23-24 years of the sun.
Are funny.
There are these manuscripts and typescripts called: Annals of Aman, Grey Annals and Tale of Years to look for the dates when the events happened in the FA.

Quote:
After returning from Angband, Gwindor is only a shadow of his former self, while Maedhros, if anything, seems stronger and enhanced because of it.
Perhaps the answer lies in this:
From the Lays of Beleriand: The Flight of the Noldoli from Valinor
Quote:
Then his sons beside him, the seven kinsmen,
crafty Curufin, Celegorm the fair,
Damrod and Diriel and dark Cranthir,
Maglor the mighty, and Maidros tall
(the eldest, whose ardour yet more eager burnt
than his father’s flame, than Fëanor’s wrath;
I really burned with the fire of the One.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer

Also - is it explicitly stated that Maedhros was left hanging from the cliff? I always thought he had been left standing on a ledge, with one arm chained above his head (otherwise how would Fingon have been able to get alongside him and cut him down?)
After Fingon said his prayer to Manwe, Thorondor came and stayed Fingon's hand from his bow and lifted him up to where Maedhros hung.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote