Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-15-2002, 05:22 PM   #1
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

The monarchy

Sorry if this has been done before, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

What do people think about the monarchy (in Britain mostly)??

Do you think the royal family has anything to contribute? What about in Canada? The queen just came here and I thought it was odd how excited everybody got, and that people still think of her as our queen here.

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 05:28 PM   #2
Sween
im quite stupid

Shes good for tourism. Yes thats it that all i feel on the subject
Old 10-15-2002, 05:32 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm holding out for a New Zealand republic. And don't even get me started on fox hunting...

Last edited by BeardofPants : 10-15-2002 at 05:52 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 05:38 PM   #4
Sween
im quite stupid

tell me about it wish they hadnt banned it
Old 10-15-2002, 05:51 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

...Barbaric sport.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:06 PM   #6
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I refuse to say anything as I risk the chance of being locked up in the tower of London for a night.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 06:11 PM   #7
osszie
Elven Warrior

Bring forth the gallows

High Treason is still a hanging offence here

(FTR fox hunting should be banned, not only is the fox about as dangerous as a jellyfish in the desert but the hunt destroy's more bleedin' countryside and farm property, hedges, gates, arable land etc, than anything else, elitist swines gettin their jollies)

Last edited by osszie : 10-15-2002 at 06:15 PM.
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 06:24 PM   #8
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

I think that although the royal family doesn't hold any real power, they serve a purpose. Besides just sitting there and being royal, they act as somewhat of a backbone - they represent Great Britain's legacy and are generally loved by her citizens (the queen/queen mother especially). But I live in the US and could be very wrong...

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 06:35 PM   #9
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88
I think that although the royal family doesn't hold any real power, they serve a purpose. Besides just sitting there and being royal, they act as somewhat of a backbone - they represent Great Britain's legacy and are generally loved by her citizens (the queen/queen mother especially). But I live in the US and could be very wrong...
No you're not wrong Galadriel88, there is a VERY big Royalist following in the UK.

As well as being monarch The Queen is also head of the armed forces and head of The Church of England, and as such she is also the biggest landowner in the UK.......she has plenty of power.

shutting up now, can feel the gallows rope being waxed
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 06:39 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I think I was one of the few people who went Whoop-de-doo when the Queen Mum died. You think she was a lovely old lady? Hah! And don't get me started on that adulteress hussy Pwincess Diana. Bah.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:18 PM   #11
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The thing that I detested about Diana's death, specifically the media coverage, is that Mother Teresa died the same week and apparently, nobody cared.

Though I must say, the film Amélie played quite well on the Diana thing.

As far as the Queen coming to Canada goes... well hey, it's not like she has any real power other than being a last-ditch check or balance in case the Prime Minister tries to burn the Constitution or something... and if we didn't have her on the coin, who would we have? Wayne Gretzky? (Not that I'd mind)

I listened to the tail end of that honourary concert for the Queen last week. Oscar Peterson is my hero.

Now, as far as the Queen's role as the head of the Church of England goes... well, whether or not the Church of England should continue to exist as a state organization is a different issue entirely, and one that I have opinions on...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 10:28 PM   #12
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Figurehead though the Queen may be, whether you have a good or bad figurehead makes a BIG difference. If you are going to have someone be a representative of all the pride, strength, and dignity of your country (or in our case, the Commonwealth), you want someone with a bit of pride, strength, and dignity to do it. In that way, I think the Queen is doing a fine job.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 04:16 AM   #13
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Yay! a monarchy thread

Well said. She does a good job. Whether the position should exist is another thing...

Did anyone else notice that the thing tourists like best about the Royal Family is that they are OURS and not theirs?
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 06:33 AM   #14
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I think I was one of the few people who went Whoop-de-doo when the Queen Mum died. You think she was a lovely old lady? Hah! And don't get me started on that adulteress hussy Pwincess Diana. Bah.
No one in my family was too bothred she was over 100 she had a very good innings. Not like she had a hard life either is it? The only people really morning her were the makers of scotch .

I dont know why people liked diana so much. she was reasonably pretty and wore lots of nice clothes and did work for charity (well what else is she ment to do not like she has to work like the rest of us is it)

ill say one thing for the royal family if we didnt have them tony blair would be our head of state and that i would never stand for hes a failed lawyer and an overal smarmy git
Old 10-16-2002, 07:45 AM   #15
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

I dislike the monarchy. I think the whole sytem of a monarchy is archaic...which it is. It's not the same as how it used to be because of the power of parliament, but i think the Queen is a stupid wench. The only reason i ahve any kind of 'liking' for her is the same as Sween. I really really hate Tony Blair, and if i could reach him...*sharpens knife and glares*

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 09:33 AM   #16
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I like the monarchy. In my book, archaic does not equal wrong. Much as we (not I!) might like it to be otherwise, tradition is a big part of life in Britain, and the monarchy is a part of that. And they are very popular stiil, especially the Queen - I was at the concert for the Golden Jubilee, outside in the Mall, and those crowds can't be ignored. The Queen is a constitutional check to the power of Parliament and the Prime Minister, she's a great tourist attraction, and she appears to actually be a very nice person. Don't get me started on the monarchy, I see its faults, but then I'm about the only person in the country who actually likes Prince Charles, so...

And I think everyone hates Tony Blair, don't they? Beats me how he got re-elected. Oh, yes... no other options
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 12:01 PM   #17
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
And I think everyone hates Tony Blair, don't they? Beats me how he got re-elected. Oh, yes... no other options
I don't hate him. He's far from perfect and perhaps something of a control freak, but he's much better than any of the PMs we've had over the last 25 years. At least he looks vaguely human, which is more than Thatcher or Major could boast.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 12:19 PM   #18
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
I don't hate him. He's far from perfect and perhaps something of a control freak, but he's much better than any of the PMs we've had over the last 25 years. At least he looks vaguely human, which is more than Thatcher or Major could boast.
i allways liked john major. Maggie thacher was good for a laugh
Old 10-16-2002, 04:25 PM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
Yeah, and he looks right cute sitting in Bush's pocket there.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:34 PM   #20
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
I was at the concert for the Golden Jubilee, outside in the Mall, and those crowds can't be ignored.
I believe the numbers at that propaganda event were one million, the population of the United Kingdom is 80 Million, go figure.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote