Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2000, 12:06 AM   #1
The Randy Hobbit

Brust?

Anyone else read Steven Brust? I love his stuff in the world of Jhereg, but his other stuff tends to bite.
Old 04-04-2000, 08:45 PM   #2
The Randy Hobbit

Re: Brust?

Come on! No One?!? Gotta be at least one Brust fan out there!
Old 04-12-2000, 02:21 AM   #3
The Randy Hobbit

OK, if no one has read them yet, go out and get them now!! Great books, highly recomended!! Combo Mafia-fantasy. TRH
Old 04-13-2000, 12:37 AM   #4
bmilder

Nope, sorry... never even heard of the guy.
Old 06-07-2000, 06:21 AM   #5
arynetrek

HA! ANOTHER STEVEN BRUST FAN! AT LAST! I'VE FOUND YOU, MY PRECIOUSSSS!

sorry, i just got off the tolkein boards.

yes, i've heard of steven brust, i LOVE the jhereg series. and Gypsy, which is not part of a series - think hungarian folktales meets starving-artist bio meets police drama. very good, in my opinion. haven't read any more non-Jhereg-series stuff.

while i have someone's attention...

- what the hell happened with Teckla? the series is going great, & then Brust just has to get political on us...
- have you read Dragon? it's semi-new, i haven't read it yet.
- memorable stories to tell little kids:
Vlad's Grandkid: "grandpa, how did you meet grandma?"
Vlad, about 40 years older: "i half-killed her, & then she killed me. And them my sorcerous friends killed her. Then they revivified everyone, & we got married."
- do you know where to find descriptions of some of the more obscure House-creatures? some are pretty obvious - dzur, dragon, jhereg, athyra - but some never really get mentioned outside of the Cycle verse.

great to have someone else who's read these!

aryne *
Old 07-11-2000, 12:33 AM   #6
The Randy Hobbit

I Knew you were out there!

I too am amazed more people haven't read this amazing series.

"- what the hell happened with Teckla? the series is going great, & then Brust just
has to get political on us..."

The politics didn't bother me as much as the endless whining about losing his wife. Bets that Brust was having a bad relationship at the time?

"- have you read Dragon? it's semi-new, i haven't read it yet. "

Any Brust book that hits the shelves is read by me within weeks.

" - do you know where to find descriptions of some of the more obscure
House-creatures? some are pretty obvious - dzur, dragon, jhereg, athyra - but
some never really get mentioned outside of the Cycle verse. "

I have not done any serioous net surfing on the Brust theme, but I bet there are some sites out there. I know that a lot of his language was taken from hungarian, but I don't know any hungarian so that doesn't help much.

" great to have someone else who's read these! "

The feeling is mutual. Maybe now that we are generating some discussion we will generate some interest. ARE YOU LISTENING OUT THERE? THESE BOOKS ROCK!!!!!!!!

TRH
Old 07-13-2000, 06:19 PM   #7
etherealunicorn

a late reply...

I like Brust pretty well, too, although I have not read any of his stuff in awhile.
The last book from the jhereg set that I read was Teckla, so I guess I need say no more. I had to wonder about all of the whining too, Hobbit. It really got on my nerves. I mean, jeez Vlad, you don't own the woman and she had interests aside from you, get over it. Jhereg was my favorite of the set (at least of the ones I have read)
Old 07-23-2000, 06:11 AM   #8
arynetrek

"Bets that Brust was having a bad relationship at the time?" - while he was writing it, his wife was in the process of leaving him.

and as of the last time i wrote, i found a great description of all the House-creatures on some website which i'd link to but i can't remember it now. at least they're out there...

still haven't read Dragon, but finished Brokedown Palace about a week ago. very good. i think after i finish Sil, i'll get a copy.

great to know i'm not alone,
aryne *
Old 07-26-2000, 06:04 PM   #9
Sith Acolyte

Brust is God-like

I too, am a fan of this the funniest fantasy writer in history.

I likewise did not dig on Teckla. The political bent was interesting, but it was just too frustrating a read...If you'd a given me five minutes with that smug prick Kelly, I'd have him foaming at the mouth.

I hate revolutionary jargon.

And The Phoenix Guard actually inspired me to read Dumas again...