Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-02-2001, 07:33 PM   #1
Sakata
Elven Warrior

My English teacher has never read tLotR!

Does anyone else find this appauling? You would think that it would be a requirement for English teachers right? And she makes us read her sleezy, sex-filled romance novels! I meen this is an juniors honors English class, what a total waste of time.

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 08:10 PM   #2
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I don't think the Lord of the Rings is on the reading list for english teachers, its not exactly considered proper literature by a lot of english scholars and is often snubbed by literature commitees and such. Thats what makes it a cult classic, adored by the millions and hated by the few critics and the like.

My english teacher has a foolish view on the lord of the rings, he doesn't like it because it's 'Far fetched' and 'Unrealistic', the guy hasn't even read the book. Can't win them all I guess.

It's a disgrace you have to read those 'Novels', Sakata.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 08:20 PM   #3
anduin
Entwife

What are the titles of some of these novels?
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 12:48 AM   #4
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I'm pretty sure most of my english teachers have been familliar with the book, but not many have read it. It's a shame: just because it's a fantasy novel, people immediately assume it's far-fetched and melodramatic. True, there are a lot of really bad fantasy novels out there, but LOTR is unique because it's actually well-written, and is set in a highly complex, believable world.

Certainly it's a better novel than Pride and Prejudice! I'm taking sophomore honors English, and that's the next book we're reading. After reading the first page of my friend's copy, I decided it's one of the most horrible novels ever written. (I hope I didn't make any Jane Austen fans mad here. But you can't convince me that people actually talk as pretentiously and long-windedly as the characters in her novels!)

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 02:38 AM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Nobody has the time to read every book worth reading out there. Sometimes, even the ones that are most worth reading are set aside for more immediate demands, such as those placed by curricula.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 02:06 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

English classes are a complete and utter waste of time.

Especially literature.
Old 11-03-2001, 03:07 PM   #7
Comic Book Guy

It depends what you want to do as a career, if you want to be a writer of sorts, poet or such then it isn't so much of a waste of time. If you wish to have a technicical job, then I fail to see the point of it. I personally hate english myself, it would have to be my worst subject, most probally because of my lack of interest.

It is rather irritating and frustrating a lot of the time, you don't really get to explore a lot of interesting topics, just the standard curriculla.
Old 11-03-2001, 08:36 PM   #8
arynetrek
Elf Lord

(sorry about any misspellings, but the N key on my comp is a little screwed.)

i think it's utterly appalling that your teacher has never read LotR. as someone above already mentioned, too many people view fantasy as irrelevant; however, relevance is mostly determined by the AUTHOR, not the GENRE. unfortunately too few people, especially those who think they are keepers of all literary knowledge (like many English teachers), realize this.

The minds of americans are narrowing (i'm assuming this is an american schoolteacher, Sakata), and many adults cannot enjoy fantasy or escapism, however relevant. it's a sad situation.

as for all english classes being a waste of time, IMO they are ABSOLUTELY NOT. going back to school made me realize how much i missed learning for the sake of learning, which is exactly what a lit. class should be.

however...
trashy romance novels? HER trashy romance novels? is your teacher a washed-up self-promoting writer?

i'm sorry,
aryne *
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 02:03 AM   #9
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

English classes aren't completely useless. They boost my grades, along with the added bonus of letting me show off.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 10:53 AM   #10
Legolas
Elven Warrior

I hate learning English. The language is great, but as I know it far better than any other guy from my class (exept one) and sometimes even better than the teacher, so what's the point of learning? And, also, Quenya is far better...
Old 11-04-2001, 12:13 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

When I was in high school, many moons ago, I had an English teacher that the class was very fond of. He was a terrific guy and on his birthday we bought him a box set of the Hobbit and LOTRs. I happened to run in to him about a year ago. Do you know that he said he still had not read those books. I couldn't believe it. I really let him have it for that and I enjoyed it too. I always wanted to tell off teachers when I got mad at them, but I was a good student and bit my tongue. It felt pretty good to not be on the receiving end this time.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 03:14 PM   #12
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

For you guys who still go to school - is it not nice to have an area that is 'untainted' but the duties and obligations of formal education?

I read LotR when I was in High School (around the Second Age or so ) and it never occurred to me that these wonderful books should be part of the curriculum.
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 03:57 PM   #13
Finduilas
Sapling

It would have been nice if it had. All the things I had to read in English 12 were really depressing, so the LOTR would have been a major improvement. However I did manage to sneak it in anyway (Oral Presentation and essay on the gift of Death in Middle-Earth). The essay is on my webpage.
Finduilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 04:15 PM   #14
Comic Book Guy

I think they mock you by making you read the 'Lord of the Flies'.
Old 11-04-2001, 04:20 PM   #15
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

You misunderstand me when I say that english classes are useless.

Language is a subject is one of the things I enjoy most.

But the fact is that English/Lit classes, far more than any other, tend to be based on the teacher's subjective (and narrow minded) biases.

My freshman year, I took grammer 1. The only time we actually had grammar was when we had a sub. The rest of the semester was "Why 'To kill a mockingbird' is the greatest book ever, 101" I hated that book.

I had to take speech the next semester. This time it was "Romeo and Juliet" pretty much the entire semester.

Sophmore year... Rhetoric. I basically stopped doing anything in that class after the teacher told me (to My Face!) that "I was not possibly smart enough to use the word 'adaquately' in a proper sentance."

Needless to say, I was pissed. Really. Really. Pissed.

This last year, I got an english course despite my misgivings (I'm self educated now). To my surprise, it was great! The entire class was actually about _English_!.

So, don't take me wrong. learning english is something we all can and should do. The problem is that, in America, education l33t Sux0rs.

Wayfarer-antiestablishment orc

Last edited by Wayfarer : 11-04-2001 at 04:23 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 05:52 PM   #16
Dfsg
Sapling

Last year, my teacher had a great collection of books, and in her bookshelf, she had a box set of LOTR and the Hobbit. I asked her if she read them, and she told me that she can't stand Fantasy stories.

That whole year, we read only one genre of books. They weren't too good, but what can you expect?

I tried to get her to read LOTR all year, but she never did.

and as arynetrek said, too many people view fantasy as irrelevant.

At least she's not like this one teacher I have who doesn't like to read. I just don't comprehend that!
Dfsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 08:20 PM   #17
Ghost of Tolkien
Sapling

Middle Earth has a considerable eugenics component. Racial differences are a central theme in the work. The American/European religion of ‘egalitarianism’ hates any idea of ‘difference’. This is why LTR is avoided by the brainwashing PC/media/educational/etc conglomerate – ‘it goes against the grain’ of received ‘wisdom’. (To Kill A Mockingbird is fine – Good Black man, Evil White man etc)

If recent American administrations ruled ME, then the Orcs would be guaranteed at least one place on the ‘White Council’. The underachievement of trolls would no doubt be blamed on Elvish imperialism etc etc

LTR strikes a chord because it discusses themes that heretical minds couldn’t within our Western PC world. We are subconsciously involved with themes that if we discussed them consciously outside the parable of ME would come into direct conflict with ‘multicultural brainwashed’ opinion. We can discuss ME in safety without offending the ‘State Religion of Multiculturalism’

Tolkien wrote because he loved language, but his intention was to write a mythology for the English speaking peoples. The PC establishment would hate anything that made us feel good about ourselves (Indigenous Europeans/Americans)

Ghost of Tolkien
Ghost of Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 09:26 AM   #18
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of Tolkien
This is why LTR is avoided by the brainwashing PC/media/educational/etc conglomerate – ‘it goes against the grain’ of received ‘wisdom’. (To Kill A Mockingbird is fine – Good Black man, Evil White man etc)
Actually, I don´t agree on anything in your post.

And I seriously think you should change your alias, so that Mr Tolkien does not become associated with your opinions.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:55 AM   #19
Ghost of Tolkien
Sapling

Something’s I wrote:

"Middle Earth has a considerable eugenics component. Racial differences are a central theme in the work."

"Tolkien wrote because he loved language, but his intention was to write a mythology for the English speaking peoples. "

(Nothing very controversial here really is there? )

What you wrote:
"Actually, I don’t agree on anything in your post. "

I SUGGEST YOU mean, "I don't agree with some/most of your post".

To make the blanket statement "anything" is to replace objective debate with rhetoric and emotion.

Ghost of Tolkien

Ghost of Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 05:15 PM   #20
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of Tolkien
To make the blanket statement "anything" is to replace objective debate with rhetoric and emotion.

Ghost of Tolkien

Yes, you are right. And it was done intentionally.