Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2002, 01:32 PM   #1
Yazad
Enting

Morton Grady Zimmerman Script Question - Michael Martinez??

Hiya everyone!

In an earlier discussion about Tom Bombadil, I think it was Michael Martinez who mentioned that he was included in the screenplay by Morton Grady Zimmerman. I was just wondering how this is known. Does a copy of the screenplay exist??? I'd love to read it if it does, and figure out what it was that Tolkien objected to.

Also, in a letter Tolkien said that he and Unwin had worked out their opinion on what it would take to sell the movie rights: "Cash or art". I'm not sure what he meant by this. Did he mean selling the rights for $$$ or valuable pieces of art? Or did he mean, (less likely) either you're gonna make an artistic version or you're gonna pay big bucks for it.

Curious!

Yazad
Yazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 04:33 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

We know about Tom in the screenplay because it's talked about in The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien. Part of the very lengthy letter Tolkien wrote to his publishers about the horrible script was published in there.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:38 PM   #3
Yazad
Enting

Ahh, many thanks!

Ahh, thanks for the info Inoldonil! I'll have to whip out my copy of Letters and read up.

Thanks again!
Yazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 05:43 PM   #4
Darth Tater
The man

Tolkien objected to the script because it sucked and called Boromir Borimor. Also, the original quote is "cash or cudos" and meant they wanted either a boatload of money or a really good film (PJ's brought both!)
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote