Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2001, 03:38 AM   #21
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

here is the site for xenarwen

http://www.angelfire.com/sk/sharkens/

under unofficial scripts

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 03:20 PM   #22
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Well, I adore the book as it is, but I'd like to do one little change: the end is too sad. The Elves go out, Gandalf too... I don't like this. I'd prefer something like that:
1) the Elves remain in Middle-Earth and, perhaps, mix with humans;
2) the Istars (Gandalf in particular) also remain and help humans and hobbits;
3) everything remains AS IT WAS in the Third Age.
Old 10-23-2001, 10:54 PM   #23
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I wouldn't want to change anything in Tolkien's stories, but it does break my heart when the elves have to leave middle earth. I can't stand the thought of Lothlorien being no more. I wish it didn't have to be that way...

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 05:56 PM   #24
Phelan Kell
Hobbit

Strider

I was not disapointed in the least, but the ending of LotR was very sad. I personally felt that after 1000 pages of reading(not to mention that I read the Hobbit first) I deserved a happy ending. Can anyone tell me whether all the elves left Middle Earth or if just a few of the High Elves.

Phelan Kell
Phelan Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 01:09 AM   #25
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

It was most of the High-Elves that left and I believe many of the Sindar. There were in fact some Noldor left in the Fourth Age, despite what Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age in The Silmarillion has to say. From the fragment of The Tale of Arwen and Aragorn that appears in the Appendices to The Lord of the Rings, it emerges that there were not any Noldor left in Middle-earth by the 120th year of the Age of Man. It also appears that by that time none lived in Rivendell. The Elves have to leave or fade away -- for I have not seen any, and I am willing to bet that you have not either. If only the Second Born could collectively pick ourselves up and aspire to bring a little beauty to the Seventh Age, we might catch a glimpse of the ancient Light beyond the Sea.
Old 10-29-2001, 03:35 AM   #26
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

wasn't there something about celeborn going to Rivendell in the 4th age.

didn't legolas bring some elves to Ithelien?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 10-29-2001, 02:12 PM   #27
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Umm...

*Looks sick*

I'll try and break this to you gently, afro-elf.

You are not one tenth the author tolkien was!

Any changes made to the lord of the rings by parties such as ourselves would invariably SUCK.

I couldn't pull it off.
You couldn't pull it off.

Attempting to 'improve' something as perfect as Middle Earth makes you no better than any other crappy author that's tried. And they aqll suck.

The elves are supposed to leave. I's supposed to be sad. That's one of the things that sets tolkien's elves apart from cheesy D&D ripoff elves.

"O'course because I'm a minority there would have been a wider mix of colors."

What? you meant ypurple spotted yellow orcs aren't enough? Fie!

In any case, that's incredibly unnescessary. The haradrim were assumed to be melino. The orcs were black black. There were characters with pale, dark, ruddy, sallow, and transparent complexions. There were characters with squinty/slanted eyes. And any attempt to mke racial diversity more prominent would likely reduce the writing quality to that of margret weiss... or some equally horrendous plagurist hack.

"Then it could be really multi-cultural."

It was multi cultural. Middle earth is far more multi cultural than any other fantasy novel, because there are actual cultures. Not stupid, cheesy generalizations that are laughable if not downright pathetic.

Overly descriptive magic makes it less magical. You end up with a cheesy plot device instead of something powerful and mysterious.

The book was an epic. Your desire to see characters "hanging out'' would cheapen it to no end.

Please. Please. realize that almost any 'improvements' that you suggest to the lord of the rings will almost certainly come from newer, less skilled fantasy authors, the vast majority of whom Were tolkien ripoffs! That's like suggesting the original Star wars would have been better with jarjar binks!

Last edited by Wayfarer : 10-29-2001 at 02:23 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 04:39 PM   #28
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Ok mr. nay sayer err wayfarer

Quote:
You are not one tenth the author tolkien was!
your statement is non sequitor

I NEVER COMPARED MYSELF TO TOLKIEN

only a fool or someone imbued with hubris would do so

your next few statements are just qualitative hogwash

I believe that you and I would both agree that LOTR is a great book

BUT TO BREAK IT TO YOU GENTLY

a lot of people do not
its hard to believe people but its true

Quote:
Attempting to 'improve' something

once again a non sequitor statement

this thread is NOT entitled how to IMPROVE but what would you change

change and improve are NOT synonymous

QUOTE]I's supposed to be sad[/QUOTE]

WHERE in MY post did I write ANYTHING saying that
I would have made it HAPPY and teddy bearish?

one reason I like the book is because it can be grim at times

i did say

For me the world be a little altered. The Elves would not have faded to the extent that they have in LOTR. ( I really like Tolkein's Elves) There would have been better communication between the free peoples. Not SO much estrangement.

key words; to the extent/ SO much

doesn't mean a peter jackson elven calvary charge/change or that the free peoples had SMOOTH relationships

Your color statements to are also non sequitor BECAUSE my statement was qualified

Quote:
For me it would have been cool if some of minor but cool characters were Black or Asian. Say Glorfindel, Gildor, Imrahil or Beregond.

I'm not talking about the faceless Southrons or some foul orcs.

I Know the hobbits were dark BUT i qualified that too. they were my LEAST favorite in the books.

the characters I named above were not swarthy. I was solely speaking of the characters I mentioned.

OTHERS brought up the standard race/color debate

I said that I did not think he was racist. I said this because I am aware of there being swarthy folks on the good guys side

BUT just NOT the people I would have like them to be

I was using the word multi-cultural in the popular vulgarized euphemistic tone meaning the erroneous concept of "RACE"

please refer to the preceeding to gather my point concerning this

Quote:
Overly descriptive magic makes it less magical. You end up with a cheesy plot device instead of something powerful and mysterious
did you even read what I wrote? or did you just have a need to rail on someone.

I said
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of "HIGH MAGIC" so LOTR is fine
what I did say
Quote:
Maybe the description of magic would be a tad more detailed
a TAD more detailed IS NOT overly descriptive. With the exception of ONE fantasy series I HATE chessy powerful magic.

that's why I Hate DnD and MOST FRPG's

I put "HANGING OUT" in quotes for a reason.

did you think I meant they were gonna sit around the camp fire and tell dirt elf jokes?

NO it meant knowing more about the rangers of the north

Quote:
That's like suggesting the original Star wars would have been better with jarjar binks!
than is a truly an acerebral analogy and one beneath your mental acumen

I do not mind astringent criticism

but I think you were not on top of your game today

i castigate thee thus

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 10-29-2001 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:50 PM   #29
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
wasn't there something about celeborn going to Rivendell in the 4th age.

didn't legolas bring some elves to Ithelien?
Yes. He evidently had left by IV 120, though, because none dwelt in Rivendell by that time. The Appendices tells us that Celeborn would leave with CÃ*rdan and the last of the Noldor. So by IV 120, all the Noldor had gone away or faded. There were of course Elvish spirits lingering in the world, and they will linger until the End.

The Edhil or 'Elves' Legolas led to Ithilien were from the Woodland Realm and did not contain any Noldor. Legolas led his people there early on the in the Fourth Age, it seems. He (with Gimli) left Middle-earth after the death of Elessar, in 120.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:43 PM   #30
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

"I NEVER COMPARED MYSELF TO TOLKIEN"

Nope. And that's good. But answer me this... Does not the statement "This is what I would have done differently" Imply that you think you could do better?

While I'm cetrainly not going to say that you claimed your changes were an improvement, I would wonder why you would wish to make them otherwise? Only a mental incompetent (or a $00t) would make changes that they didn't think were improvements.

"a fool or someone imbued with hubris would do so"

Wow. That's so much better than calling me 'insipid'. (Ask Inoldonil)

"qualitative hogwash"

Great usage of words there. Love the junction of Coarse and Lofty adjectives.

"I believe that you and I would both agree that LOTR is a great book."

If we didn't, what would we be doing _here_?

"a lot of people do not
its hard to believe people but its true"

Oh, I believe it. I know those people too.

They have Jordan, Herbert, Brooks, Weiss... ad nauseaum.

"this thread is NOT entitled how to IMPROVE but what would you change"

I hope I have addressed the discrepancy between Change and Improve? Need I reiterate?

"change and improve are NOT synonymous"

I reiterate: 'Need I reiterate?'

"WHERE in MY post did I write ANYTHING saying that
I would have made it HAPPY and teddy bearish?"

I'm sorry... I was not specifically speaking to you when I said that. I was speaking to the attitude implicit in statements like:

"I ... felt that after 1000 pages...I deserved a happy ending. "
(I trust I didn't leave anything important out?)

"For me the world be a little altered. The Elves would not have faded to the extent that they have in LOTR. ( I really like Tolkein's Elves) There would have been better communication between the free peoples."

I'm afraid that would have damaged the story quite a bit. If everyone had gotten along... the world would be flat (to name the most drastic example).

Ok! I'm still taking your words out of proportion. Sorry.

In any case, I find that the fading of the elves is nescessary. If the elves had remained in middle earth undiminished, men would become the 'minority'... in the most drastic sense possible. They were both physically and mentally superior to us.

And anyway... they got their two ages.

"Not SO much estrangement."

I can't really argue this point anymore. I'll concede your point, while asking exactly how it would make the book better. All good things must come to an end, you know.

"Your color statements to are also non sequitor BECAUSE my statement was qualified

I'm not talking about the faceless Southrons or some foul orcs."

Well... Would you rather a faceless Maia? Or faceless Elf? Or a faceless gondorian?

"I Know the hobbits were dark BUT i qualified that too. they were my LEAST favorite in the books."

The book is sort of about them, but ok.

"the characters I named above were not swarthy. I was solely speaking of the characters I mentioned."

Sure. But I couldn't (and still can't) think of any way that the aforementioned characters could possibly have been dark skinned. It would require a rather radical change to the background marterial.

"OTHERS brought up the standard race/color debate."

"Did I say anything about Feanor? No!" (Sorry... you'll have to ask Inoldonil about that one too... If he remembers.)

I never claimed you had... Where did I give that impression?

"BUT just NOT the people I would have like them to be"

Huh. I can't say much to that one. Have I mentioned I wish orcs were green with purple spots and hobgoblins looked like drow?

"I was using the word multi-cultural in the popular vulgarized euphemistic tone meaning the erroneous concept of "RACE""

Well... 'Race' in middle earth correctly refers to... I'll let that one drop.

"did you even read what I wrote? or did you just have a need to rail on someone."

That must be it. Although I can't think of any sarcastic justification that I'm willing to post, so I'll write it off to flamespeak.

"a TAD more detailed IS NOT overly descriptive. With the exception of ONE fantasy series I HATE chessy powerful magic.

that's why I Hate DnD and MOST FRPG's"

Good. But where do you think it needs more detail? I mean 'white light flashed fromt the rider's hand towards the nazgul' (SIC) Seems to be detailed enough. Did you mean a more clear defenition of exactly where magic was being used?

"did you think I meant they were gonna sit around the camp fire and tell dirt elf jokes?"

[/B][/QUOTE]www.nekkidelfbabes.com

"NO it meant knowing more about the rangers of the north"

I can't see how I missed that, but if you say so, I could stomach that. I wouldn't mind knowing more about them myself.

Although that seems to be strictly appendice marterial.

I still can't find any justification for most of the changes that have been suggested. Most would clash one way or another with either the world or the author's writing style.

"I castigate thee thus"

Lovely word. Castigated.

Duly so.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 10-29-2001 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:36 AM   #31
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Nope. And that's good. But answer me this... Does not the statement "This is what I would have done differently" Imply that you think you could do better?
Quote:
Only a mental incompetent (or a $00t) would make changes that they didn't think were improvements.
HUMM....

the infamous word imply

changing from red berechetta to a black one is just something that is different. I prefer black, doesn't mean that it's an improvement.

now going from a 1972 ford (?) gremlin to an aston martin now that is an improvement

Quote:
a fool or someone imbued with hubris would do so"
a fool or someone imbued with hubris would do so"

Quote:
Wow. That's so much better than calling me 'insipid'

YOU did not claim to be better than tokien so this claim was NOT about you

Quote:
I never claimed you had... Where did I give that impression?
you named off the list of people of color that most people do but not about the ones i mentioned. thats all

Quote:
Did you mean a more clear defenition of exactly where magic was being used?
YEAP

I implore you , please let's not get into what is "MAGIC" debate

Quote:
I still can't find any justification for most of the changes that have been suggested. Most would clash one way or another with either the world or the author's writing style.

basically we have different qualitative views on tolkien. I like tolkien but i am not a votary

there are some things in the book I do not like. simple

you think it was perfect/ I dont

let us not fall to the devices of Sauron and sully ourselves whilst the darkness gathers

also you had not joined the board at that time to keep me on my toes

so please take my statements as idle musing as opposed to reasoned alterations.

'Dern Helm"

Old 10-30-2001, 03:34 PM   #32
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
YOU did not claim to be better than tokien so this claim was NOT about you
It still sounds better than insipid. ]

Quote:
I implore you , please let's not get into what is "MAGIC" debate

All right... I agree with you that a clearer definition of magic would be a good thing.

Quote:
let us not fall to the devices of Sauron and sully ourselves whilst the darkness gathers

*/Looks up from his forgework, and tosses what appears to be a gold ring into the corner.

"Fine. Be that way."

]

Quote:
also you had not joined the board at that time to keep me on my toes

Poor, Poor, you.

Quote:
so please take my statements as idle musing as opposed to reasoned alterations.

'K
Old 10-30-2001, 05:56 PM   #33
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I am afraid -- afro-elf -- that you have fallen in with a purist You find them in hordes on the Middle-earth Vault, where Wayfarer and I were born. I think he still lives there, for the most part. Changing the Lord of the Rings or coming up with things to change is naturally quite alien to our thought. Do I use smilies too much?
Old 10-30-2001, 08:03 PM   #34
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Naahhhh....