Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-22-2003, 10:14 PM   #1
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

A Mighty Wind, and Other Guest Movies

Has anyone seen Christopher Guest's new movie, A Mighty Wind?
I just saw it tonight. My favorite character was Mitch, played by Eugene Levy. Levy adopted a bizarre way of speaking for this movie that I really liked.

So, what does anyone else think? Like it? Dislike it? Even hear of the film (it's not very widespread)?

Christopher Guest also directed or was in some way involved in Best In Show and Spinal Tap.
In the hopes of posts, what do you think of those movies?

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"

Last edited by Ornelírë Mistë : 04-22-2003 at 10:16 PM.
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:51 PM   #2
frodosgirlfriend
Elven Warrior

Location: I live in la la land, you know, the place you go during math class
I didn't know it was out! I'll have to see it tonight!

---------------------------------------------
AND FGF'S MOST GORGEOUS MAN ALIVE AT THE MOMENT'S AWARD GOES TO.........
BRANDON BOYD (yes once again) !!!!! WOOOO!!!
----------------------------------------------
Hottness has no count for age.... thats why I'm merrying a forty year old who goes by the name of JOHNNY DEPP!!!!
-----------------------------------------------
Fortune cookies tell all, so when i got the cookie telling me to date my love i became a stalker to Johnny Depp, and when i find him my excuse will be "the cookie made me do it"
------------------------------------------------
I'm not stupid, I'm special
"But why is the rum gone?"
"Captian, Catian Jack Sparrow"
"pa-pa-pa parsnip, parla, --"
"Just don't do anything... stupid"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"
~Captian Jack Sparrow
Read my FP.net story!!!
frodosgirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:00 PM   #3
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Guest is a great satirist, and I can't wait to see what he does with the folk music world in A Mighty Wind. Spinal Tap and Best in Show were brilliant, but my favorite would have to be Waiting for Guffman. The first night I rented it, I had to repeatedly pause the movie so that I could wipe the tears from my eyes.

I saw it a week after I came back home from a holiday with my sister, -- she took a playwriting workshop in a community theater-type place in the woods, and I went along for the ride (actually, I was the driver). The egos, the drama queens, the competitiveness -- Guest & Co NAILED it in Waiting for Guffman.

His brilliance, I think, is in assembling a cast that can improvise within his outline. If I remember correctly, he works without a script. The actors are given characteristics and a simple storyline, but that's it.

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 04-23-2003 at 04:06 PM.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 11:20 PM   #4
azalea
Long lost mooter

I saw Waiting for Guffman the other night; it was great. I'll have to go see A Mighty Wind.
I saw Best in Show a while back and it was great. There was one part, though, that was actually scary and chilling to me. It was at the end when that awful couple whose dog freaked out said how they "had to" put the dog down (when it was their fault he was like that), and then revealed that they were pregnant . Just think of how that child would be, and there would be no "putting it down." Anyway, that struck a nerve w/ me because I am a parent, and I see other parents acting that way w/ their kids (not nearly as bad, but bad enough that I know the child will be affected by it ). Anyway, it was a hilarious movie.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote