Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #61
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

No worries Azalea, all you need to do this is moderate skill with a mouse. If anyone needs detailed instructions on how to do things in Microsoft Paint (the drawing program that comes with Windows), you can PM me.

1. save a map onto you computer (follow one of Vals links, right click on the picture, save it)
2. open the map in Microsoft Paint, and use the paint brush tool to draw the path the characters took. (Your mouse contols a little "paintbrush" the paints onto the image.)
3. save the map. now it's the same map, but with the journey added to it. you might save it as map-ch1 if you have the first chapter etc.
4. the next person opens map-ch1, adds the new paths of the characters, and saves it as map-ch2.

I'll add more later, I have some more ideas, but it's time to go watch Babylon 5!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:34 AM   #62
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Just to 'give credit where due'... those were Eärniel's links!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 03:38 AM   #63
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Maps are a good idea, the only thing is that I don't use Paint. In fact I don't use any Gatesware at all. But I suppose Paint is using a portable format like gif or jpg, so it should be ok.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:18 AM   #64
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Thanks Val.

If you want to make a website for hosting the maps, Nurvingiel, you maybe can try yahoo's geocities. I've used them once or twice before and I haven't had any problems with pictures yet. Maybe we should make the password of the website available to all the people who will write a chapter-introduction so they can upload the new map themselves. If not I volunteer to help you manage the maps.

Artanis, if you have other drawing-programs on computer that work with gif or jpeg and that can put lines on a drawing, I suppose you can use those too instead of Paint. That is I think so, I'm not really computer-learned.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:36 AM   #65
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Artanis, if you have other drawing-programs on computer that work with gif or jpeg and that can put lines on a drawing, I suppose you can use those too instead of Paint. That is I think so, I'm not really computer-learned.
I'm using Gimp, it works with jpeg, gif, tiff, bmp etc. I was just worried that Paint was using a non-portable format, but it seems not to be the case so there's no problem.

Last edited by Artanis : 03-07-2004 at 06:38 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 12:50 PM   #66
Maegondowen
Enting

I was wondering if there are still some chapters which no one has taken, yet. If so, which ones are still free?
Maegondowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:08 PM   #67
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Maegondowen
I was wondering if there are still some chapters which no one has taken, yet. If so, which ones are still free?
See Azalea's second post... lists all assignments followed by who each is assigned to. I think there are about 7-8 at least still not spoken for.

I'm really hoping this whole project kicks a little more life back into the 'Books' forum... with maybe some carry-over into 'Middle-earth' and even 'Hobbit' forums! As 'Twista' has pointed out recently, it seems like everything to talk about has been talked about and the main stuff going on in those threads is trivia and other games. Maybe we can spark some 'new ideas'!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:19 PM   #68
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
PS: Looks like I'm up to do section 1. That means The Pyre of Denethor and The Houses of Healing is up for grabs. I'll make the change in the assignment post. Meanwhile, start reading, everyone (if you're reading along, that is)! Your assignment: read the Forward and the Prologue by next Friday. I'm actually going to TRY to get the intro posted before then, so we can get started, but I'll need at least a few days.
houses of the healing is one of my favs... i'll take these two as my second spot if still open
Old 03-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #69
Maegondowen
Enting

Quote:
See Azalea's second post... lists all assignments followed by who each is assigned to. I think there are about 7-8 at least still not spoken for.
Okay. Then I'm taking: 11. Book II, ch. 3: The Ring Goes South.
Maegondowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:42 PM   #70
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard Maegondowen (can I call you Meg? )! You chose a great chapter.

I'm sure this project will give the book forum a huge kick start!
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 03-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #71
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Maegondowen
Okay. Then I'm taking: 11. Book II, ch. 3: The Ring Goes South.
Oh, goody! Welcome to our project! I think this means that all of Fellowship is taken.

Gaffer -- I think what we'll do is put at the top of each of the threads the following:
NOTE TO NEWBIES: Please be advised that these threads may contain spoilers, so if this is your first time reading the book, proceed through the discussion with caution. Thank you.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 03:09 PM   #72
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I want: 24. Book IV, ch. 3&4: The Black Gate is Closed and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, please.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #73
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I'd like to take #37. Book VI, ch. 6&7: Many Partings and Homeward Bound
Old 03-10-2004, 03:07 PM   #74
azalea
Long lost mooter

I had already put you down for number 40 -- do you want me to change that to 37? (And then later on, if we have no takers for 40, you can have it.)
Old 03-11-2004, 01:00 AM   #75
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Azalea:

If all chapters are taken and then you find that someone wants one they could have my second chapter,
19. Book III, ch. 5: The White Rider.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:09 AM   #76
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Each person could update the map as they finish a chapter.
It would be even better if we could just post them as images in the beginning of our discussion threads. Wish we could do images in the LOTR section.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:28 AM   #77
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

If we hosted the images on a website, we could have a new map each chapter. That's what I meant when I said update (and what you're saying as well), that you would add to the previous chapter's map without deleting it.
Quote:
Old 03-11-2004, 12:12 PM   #78
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I had already put you down for number 40 -- do you want me to change that to 37? (And then later on, if we have no takers for 40, you can have it.)
Actually, that's a good idea...okay, put me down for 37, and I'll hope people aren't interested in 40...
Old 03-12-2004, 08:23 PM   #79
azalea
Long lost mooter

*Pant, pant* Whew! It's finally up! I didn't get it up yesterday because I ended up sitting in a steamy bathroom with a croupy kid for a portion of the night on Wed., so I was just too darned tired to post on Entmoot yesterday.

I am embarrassed to say that I didn't foolow my own length guideline, because there is just way too much in the Prologue to get it in one post (plus I ended up including that Note on the Text). So please let me say that I don't expect, nor do I encourage you to make similarly lengthy intros. I do want this to be simple and easy for those who have volunteered, with the bulk of the work being done by the whole group in terms of discussion. But I just found it too difficult to go by that when doing this section, and I hope it isn't too overwhelming. Likewise, I'll understand if your intro does end up being lengthy, because I know how it feels to want to include everything! But as I said there, I hope it won't be as much of an issue because of the structure of the story chapters (with the possible exceptions of Shadow of the Past and The Council of Elrond ).

Now go post!

PS -- I realized what I was doing re: my spelling. I was writing the word "forward" as in "let us go forward instead of back" rather than "foreword" as in a note that comes before a story. I fixed it, though.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:36 PM   #80
Maedhros
The Tall

azalea, I had no idea that there was a LOTR project going on. If I hadn't chatted with SGH, I would have missed it.
I was wondering if there are any chapters available for me to do the intro?
Looking at the unassigned chapters, I would like to do this if possible:
35. Book VI, ch 2&3: The Land of Shadow and Mount Doom
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.

Last edited by Maedhros : 03-15-2004 at 07:45 PM.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote