Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-15-2003, 08:03 PM   #1
JCL2
Hobbit

Re: Who Hates Harry Potter?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
I think it's the dumbest thing since "Instant Fire (just add water)." I don't understand all the hype. Anyone else?
the books were not even a bit exciting. I am never reading the 5 book.
JCL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 12:30 AM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

If it's so bad, why did you read them in the first place?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 02:07 PM   #3
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

They are nothing compared to The Lord of the Rings, but still a good read. I meen, nothing really compares to Tolkien's work, the world that he made was so big and real filling, I remember waching the movie before reading the book, and almost asking someone if it was real, the only way that I could tell that it wasn't was because of all of the magic and fatacy creatures. Lord of the Rings is so much more alive then HP. My point is, if you compare it to Lord of the Rings, then of course it's gonna be no big deal, The Lord of the Rings is the classic, and origonal, without LOTR, who knows if Rowling would have ever even read much fantacy. So HP isn't as good, but you have to give them credit, the HP fans may be saying that we are over obsessed, who knows? To say that it is over done is to say that Lord of the Rings is over done, after all, there is more history to Lord of the Rings then Rowling can think up for HP (probally). You have to compare the book to nothing, not to other fantacy, and then you'll see.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 02:33 PM   #4
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

the reason why estel13 and I aer in this thread is becasue we are currently working on worls domination- and taking over this thread seemed to be the first logical step!

harry potter will rule your minds one day if Legolas doesn;t take over first! *mutters*, d*nm pretty boy elf!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 02:55 PM   #5
JCL2
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008
They are nothing compared to The Lord of the Rings, but still a good read. I meen, nothing really compares to Tolkien's work, the world that he made was so big and real filling, I remember waching the movie before reading the book, and almost asking someone if it was real, the only way that I could tell that it wasn't was because of all of the magic and fatacy creatures. Lord of the Rings is so much more alive then HP. My point is, if you compare it to Lord of the Rings, then of course it's gonna be no big deal, The Lord of the Rings is the classic, and origonal, without LOTR, who knows if Rowling would have ever even read much fantacy. So HP isn't as good, but you have to give them credit, the HP fans may be saying that we are over obsessed, who knows? To say that it is over done is to say that Lord of the Rings is over done, after all, there is more history to Lord of the Rings then Rowling can think up for HP (probally). You have to compare the book to nothing, not to other fantacy, and then you'll see.
I agree,PS you spelled fantasy rong
JCL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 02:59 PM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well you just spelled 'wrong' wrong.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:46 PM   #7
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
Originally posted by eowyngirl14
the reason why estel13 and I aer in this thread is becasue we are currently working on worls domination- and taking over this thread seemed to be the first logical step!

harry potter will rule your minds one day if Legolas doesn;t take over first! *mutters*, d*nm pretty boy elf!
You never told me about any world domination plans! And will you PLEASE ease off Legolas!
Old 03-16-2003, 03:55 PM   #8
eowyngirl14

Quote:
Originally posted by Estel13
You never told me about any world domination plans! And will you PLEASE ease off Legolas!
sry Legolas. i love you! *big cheesey smile*
good idea estel13. play innocent.

i wasn't planning on taking over the world- I swear!

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-16-2003, 03:58 PM   #9
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
sry Legolas. i love you! *big cheesey smile*
good idea estel13. play innocent.

i wasn't planning on taking over the world- I swear!
Yeah, sure. And if you are sorry, my name is Arwen!
Old 03-16-2003, 04:03 PM   #10
eowyngirl14

Quote:
Originally posted by Estel13
Yeah, sure. And if you are sorry, my name is Arwen!
lol- you know me too well!

hey! we are actually on entmoot at hte same time! what a coincidence!

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-16-2003, 04:06 PM   #11
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
lol- you know me too well!

hey! we are actually on entmoot at hte same time! what a coincidence!
yeah. but of course i have to get off in about 5 minutes. typical, eh? oh, well, i will be back on this afternoon. later......
Old 03-16-2003, 06:55 PM   #12
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Fantacy isn't spelled fantasy, it is the way that I spelled it, right? Because I tried to do the other way and my computer said that I was spelling it wrong well, eather way, we need to get back on subject before this is closed, seeing how the last couple of posts have been off subject, so that this dosn't get closed.

I'm thinking that it won't be a happy ending, something devistating will happen at the end of the series, or it just wont be that good, we need a twist, a book that'll leave you disapounted. I sound stupid now. I just hope something happens like HP dieing. Now I sound like I'm evil. Bad Samwiselvr! Bad Samwiselvr!!! Samwiselvr must punish herself! (bad dobby, bad) now I sound like I'm over obsessed. life is so confusing sometimes.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 10:38 PM   #13
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

No, I agree with you Samwiselvr! I think it'd make a really great end to the series if Harry died a tragic sort of death. And Ron and Hermione got together. . See, if Harry *didn't* die, I'd keep wondering "what happened next?" for the rest of my life, and I'd resort to writing and reading angsty fanfics and getting all weepy over them.
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 12:52 PM   #14
Reumandar
Elven Warrior

Location: The Land of Fire and Ice ('Tis a country You will never guess it)
HELLO
HARRY POTTER RULZ but lotr rulz more.
I don't think J.K. Rowling made Parstltounge (or however you spell it) and you Can't COMPARE LOTR TO HARRY POTTER;
If you do, it will always equal SUCKY, And you don't want that to happen now do ya

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's
body out of the abyss, and they buried
him in a mound of stones beside the
pass; and a green turf came there, and
yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the
barrenness of stone, until the world
was changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh Potter you Rotter, Oh what have you done
Your killing off the students, you think it's good fun
Reumandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 08:36 PM   #15
Gulio, Strength of Many
Lover of all things orange and cheesy

Harry Potter sucks. The books stunk. There was no imagination whatsoever. They were SOOOO predictable!!! He is just a little geek with a scar on his forehead, for crying out loud!!!!!!!!

It was like the Manifest Destiny all over again, except, instead of taking and consuming everything in their paths for God, they did so with the same fervor and sense of entitlement for their new god... themselves.

If you want to know more about Jesus, have a prayer need, or want to talk about anything, PM me.
Gulio, Strength of Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 12:57 PM   #16
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

we had a huge discussion bought hp when i was in grade 7 and people were saying they read the first few pages and hated it. i thought how can you read a couple of pages and then say it is bad. i know it is a childrens book but i just re read them all and they are great books. LotR Hp are completely different.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 07:58 AM   #17
Reumandar
Elven Warrior

Location: The Land of Fire and Ice ('Tis a country You will never guess it)
I think you are so right gimli7410, because if I were like that I would have done that with LotR Cuz' it took me like 3 months to finish the first few pages (not really but it sure did feel like that) And the prologue (or however you spell it) I asked my sister if it were ok to do that and she said "yeah I did" SOO don't do that people. I gotta go

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's
body out of the abyss, and they buried
him in a mound of stones beside the
pass; and a green turf came there, and
yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the
barrenness of stone, until the world
was changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh Potter you Rotter, Oh what have you done
Your killing off the students, you think it's good fun
Reumandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 06:19 PM   #18
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

Well, it certainly isn't tolkien, but I don't hate it. I'm sure you'd be insulting J.K. Rowling if she ever heard. I was not quite impressed with the movies, but if you all hate it solme much, then I was wondering why you even read the second book. If you hated it so much, why didn't you stop at the first book? I'm sorry if this was to harsh, but it's the way I feel.
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:47 PM   #19
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I hate Harry Potter too! The magic part is not well constructed. The world is not realistic- how come some older year students dont try to sleep with one another? Howcome people dont have interests or friends outside magic? All want to be wizards. Why cant they call female wizards wizards, and not witches? I always thought they were different things.Etc.

It was boring too, and kind of stupid. "love harry, he couldnt understand love." all villains supposedly cant, yet they adore themselves.

The movies were pure crap in my opinion. Too full of bad special effects. The first book was the most decent, but i didnt like it. i didnt bother to finish the second, good lord.

EDIT: oh, and by the way- i did not read thre boooks by choice- they were read-aloud books years ago.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 07:29 PM   #20
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I think too many people overlook it because of the first two books - which definitely are for children - caused the series to be marketed at children. But it gets deeper and deeper and darker. What I thought was never possible has become possible: I have come to love Harry Potter more than LOTR because of the emotional appeal and connection it offers. I could never emotionally relate myself to any of the LOTR characters or with their circumstances, but with the Harry Potter series, I could. J.K. Rowling has my sense of childish humor, and though she doesn't overwrite or use an assembly of boring and unnecessarily long college words that some adults prefer, I've come to genuinely love her novels.

It isn't the depth of words that matter. It's the depth of content. And J.K. Rowling has that.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote