Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-28-2000, 08:25 AM   #21
Elanor

Medieval Culture vs. Adolescent Attitudes?

Actually, this topic is rather uninspired. There's always someone with a sick enough mind to LOOK for anything that could possibly be homosexual (or Satanic, morbid, marxist, etc.), while true readers would never imagine it. If my Lit Crit Prof could get her hands on you--or I should say, her voice--you would quickly be convinced of the error of your ways. She's a medievalist and even speaks Old English, but any fairly educated person should know that this time/culture is completely different from ours. To be sure, homosexuality is an ancient concept, but in so many cultures there is nothing remotely suggestive about a kiss between two men, and certainly not this mentor/pupil relationship. It's only our culture that mistakes affection for something it's not, and then giggles behind its back. Perversion of such an innocent interaction is a mark of a very narrow cultural experience and an adolescent sensationalist mentality. How could anyone twist a purely fantastic story to become fodder for modern skepticism and joking? Well, the perversion factor certainly doesn't come from the story, so I think we can guess whose mind it comes from. Anyway, not to be mean or anything, but this really gets on my nerves. Can't you think of something intelligent to say without trying to get a reaction or shock people? I find this all very silly.
Old 01-28-2000, 02:23 PM   #22
Eruve

Re: Medieval Culture vs. Adolescent Attitudes?

Good answer Elanor!! Unfortunately, dmaul96 is not the only one around looking for things that aren't there. He is being a little more creative than most, though. Ususally when the homosexuality question is brought up, it's about Frodo and Sam! And the answer is NO, for the reasons Elanor stated, so don't even think of going there!!!
Old 01-28-2000, 05:01 PM   #23
Darth Tater

Very wise answer Elanor. My peers, at least when it comes to age, often consider me a homosexual because of my student/mentor relationship with male teachers or even my friendship with other males. Also, closeness between the men in my religious community has always been generally excepted, in a religious way we hug, or even kiss each other on the cheaks to show BROTHERLY love and forgiveness. This is in no way a sexual symbal, and I think it's sick what's happened to America that even a handshake between two men can be considered a sign that they are gay.
Old 01-28-2000, 05:45 PM   #24
Hernalt

Nice, Elanor. Nice. We can always extract to our hearts content what content we desire most from any literary work, but it is one thing to be immersed in our imagination and another to hose it on others.
Old 01-28-2000, 09:45 PM   #25
dmaul96

fdsbeasb

WTF? My implication was soley intended for a joke. It was not something I cretated to cause a gay converstaion such as this one. I think this topic should be deleted.
Old 01-28-2000, 10:15 PM   #26
bmilder

Re: fdsbeasb

You brought this upon yourself, dmaul
Old 01-28-2000, 10:19 PM   #27
Hernalt

Hay you evil dmaul96 you you're just messing with our heads i just can't keep up with you man i'm tired now where's my pillow whew!.. ZZZzzzZZZzzZZZzzz...
Old 01-28-2000, 11:03 PM   #28
Fat middle

Hey people, do not waste your neurons! Isn´t worth enough...
Old 01-31-2000, 04:24 PM   #29
ArwenUndomiel02

Did I miss something, or were you implying that Bilbo and Gandalf were gay?!
Old 01-31-2000, 08:08 PM   #30
Darth Tater

dmaul and fett were, the rest of us were saying their veiws were immature and childish.
Old 02-04-2000, 03:46 AM   #31
dmaul96

At least this post was able cause great controversy.
Old 02-04-2000, 05:14 AM   #32
wattever

wattever

wattever
Old 02-04-2000, 06:44 PM   #33
Darth Tater

Re: wattever

Contraversy isn't necesarilly a good thing. When it's about an irrelevant, immature topic it deffinately isn't.
Old 02-04-2000, 06:56 PM   #34
Eruve

Re: wattever

It's not really a controversy, either, since we all disagreed with you.
Old 02-04-2000, 07:29 PM   #35
Hernalt

Dmaul96 does not necessarily rock, *Here. But I I love the Dr Evil caption!
Old 02-05-2000, 01:36 AM   #36
dmaul96

Re: ...

It was cotroversy because there were two sides. Jae v. Entmoot
Old 02-05-2000, 02:10 AM   #37
Darth Tater

No, that's called a trial, with greg/fett as your lawyer.
Old 02-05-2000, 02:43 AM   #38
dmaul96

wow, you spelled lawyer correct.
Old 02-07-2000, 01:58 AM   #39
Spock1

Irrelavant and irreverant posting do not change the inocense of The Shire. Locks were simply not used! Labels are PC and today; not the simpler (and kinder) times of LOTR.
Old 02-08-2000, 06:24 PM   #40
galadriel1

Agreed, Spock. I, myself, believe that Gandalf was a man of great foresight and great wisdom and instincts. He knew, even in the time of the Hobbit, that the Hobbits would one day be a very important element in the scheme of things. I think that is why he was so adamant and unwavering in his 'dealings' with Bilbo and in choosing him to be one of the Company. He foresaw, in his mind and heart, that it was imperative for Bilbo to join the Dwarves' journey. Well, that`s not exactly how I wanted to phrase that but you all get the gist of my rantings. That`s my take on the matter.