Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2002, 04:30 AM   #40
JenniferTook
Hobbit

As a fan of both Tolkien's and Rowling's work, I do wonder why these two are compared so much. I mean, I understand that they're stories have things in common...unlikely hero....evil Dark Lord...etc. But they are so far from each other, it isn't funny. Rowling has wonderful plot twists and interesting characters, but her work could hardly be called beautiful. Tolkien has the twists, the characters and his writing is beautiful, complicated and very adult. I do think that Harry Potter can be for adults, but I don't think that Lotr can really be for children. They can read it obviously, but it would be very difficult to get through. Rowling is a crafty writer, but Tolkien is a skillful writer. Ok, so what I am saying is that I just don't think they are in the same category. I believe they are enjoyed on different levels. I know I did. Harry Potter is extremely fun, but it is not a very complex world and it exists in this world, only hidden from our eyes. Tolkien, on the other hand, invents a completely new world complete with original creatures and languages. Two very different worlds.

Jennifer
JenniferTook is offline   Reply With Quote