Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2000, 08:28 PM   #1
Gilthalion

Let Gandalf smite the Abortion thread!

For any who have read my own postings on the Abortion Thread, I want to apologize if I was offensive.

I want to personally apologise to those who posted before and after me on the thread:

dmaul97
bmilder
anduin
IronParrot
juntel
The One Ring
anduin
emilsson
Elanor
thrawn96
Darth Tater
Fat middle
Shanamir Duntak
Johnny Lurker
Gwaihir

And I want to especially apologise to Eruve who first foresaw that it would be a bad thread. I'm sorry if I helped make it that way.

The thread has nothing to do with the enjoyment we all share for Tolkien's works and can add nothing to it. Rather the opposite.

If I may make this suggestion, I humbly recommend that the Abortion thread be smitten from the record.
Old 08-26-2000, 08:48 PM   #2
Darth Tater

Re: Let Gandalf smite the Abortion thread!

Why? Do you just want it closed, or gone?
Old 08-26-2000, 09:01 PM   #3
Gilthalion

Gone. Smitten. Stricken. Expunged.

"Why?"

Why have it? I doubt whether any good comes of it and I may have personally even done harm. I would rather it not be there for anyone even weaker than me to abuse. It lends itself to that.

Really, I think a lot of people come to Middle-earth just to escape that sort of thing. Let's not stain it for them.

We can always go back and edit posts, after the fact. But in the interval, we may have cause to regret words sent in the immediate heat of electronic correspondence.
Old 08-26-2000, 09:26 PM   #4
Darth Tater

If the thread is bad for you then I'm sure you can stay out of it. There are obviously those who still want to discuss it, and they have the right to. You don't have to though, I haven't posted there in ages because I felt like I needed to stay away from it, I get to emotional about it. If it's the same way for you then just restrain yourself, you don't have to limit others as well.
Old 08-26-2000, 09:32 PM   #5
Gilthalion

The little hobbit bows to the wisdom and authority of the Spudly Ent Administrator and vows to do better.
Old 08-27-2000, 04:46 AM   #6
IronParrot

It is still an intelligent discussion with legitimate points right now. There is no reason why it should go at this point in time. Any admin who wants to delete it will have to go through me, and it seems, Tater as well.
Old 08-27-2000, 01:37 PM   #7
anduin

There is no debate about the thread being closed....that will never happen. You know how Ben likes to have records of everything.....but I did close it. If anyone feels like they want to discuss it further, they can come here and state their case for reopening. However, I wonder if there will be anyone who would be available to discuss it with.

As for apologies, I too offer mine to anyone that was offended.

And in the spirit of Gil: The Great River calmed her raging waters, ebbed back into her banks and gently rolled down stream. Hehe, how was that?
Old 08-27-2000, 02:52 PM   #8
Gilthalion

The hobbit was overjoyed to see that there was still such good will amongst the friends, though they disagreed so strongly before. Great storms and floods are exciting to watch, when you are observing them from the comfort of your study. It is quite another thing to be out in the Wilderness with the elements raging about you, and everyone fighting over how to start the fire!

He had a cup of coffee and decided this would be a fine time for a pipe. He blew a smallish smoke ring in the air and followed it with another and another. He was glad to be back home!