Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-12-2003, 07:58 PM   #1
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Eragon

Eragon is an amazing fantasy novel written by Christopher Paolini when he graduated from high school at fifteen. He is working on the second book, Eldest. The book is about a fifteen year old boy that finds a dragon egg, and becomes a dragon rider, which have been lost for years. anywho, it is truly amazing that a fifteen year old boy wrote a novel that surpasses any I have any read, save by tolkien himself. It is based in a world, Alagaesia, that he created. Has anyone else read this book? I'm actually only half way though, but I would recommend this for anybody!

If I can stop one heart from aching, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Though she be but little, she is fierce! -MSND
PippinTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 11:45 PM   #2
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Haven't read the book, but Newsweek had a very positive story about the book and it's young author.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 03:21 PM   #3
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

haven't read and and had never heard of it... but i'm looking for a book to read and it sounds interesting. i might just have to go out and buy it.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:10 AM   #4
Silpion
Elven Warrior

I have put a hold on this book at the library. Unfortunately, there are currently more people that want to read the book than there are books they have to lend out. I've been waiting about 2 1/2 weeks and I am almost ready to just buy the book.

Of course, I know as soon as I buy the book, I'll get a notification from the library telling me they have the book for me to borrow.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
Rose Chubb
Sapling

Location: Between Canada and Mexico, in a place that unfortunately is not Middle-earth.
Quite honestly, if you've read LOTR and the Wheel of Time series, you probably don't need to read Eragon. It doesn't have all that much to add. While the author is obviously quite talented, the book isn't exactly original, the characters are flat, and the language-making-up needs some work. (Although who am I to speak? I can barely handle English!)

On the other hand, there are only so many original ideas available in fantasy literature (or any literature, for that matter), so some things are bound to be repeated. Eragon isn't a bad book, so I think once Christopher Paolini gets a little more experience, he'll be a great fantasist, rather than a blandly mediocre one.
Rose Chubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:28 PM   #6
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i'm going to read it alous to my brothers. haven't started yet, but it sounds really cool
i gotta give credit to young authors like paolini and amelia atwater-rhodes who get published; wish i could!

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:31 PM   #7
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I tried to read Eragon two weeks ago and I just couldn't find any reason to finish it. To me it had the quality of "been there, done that" with nothing really new to get my attention. I suspect if the book had been released by an adult author it would not have recieved nearly as much attentiion as it did. Still, I have to give the author credit for having the drive to write his own book, it'll be interesting to see how his writing progresses as he grows older.

Quote:
On the other hand, there are only so many original ideas available in fantasy literature (or any literature, for that matter), so some things are bound to be repeated.
I must disagree, there are always new ways to innovate and create new subject matter in literature.

Last edited by webwizard333 : 01-30-2004 at 01:32 PM.
webwizard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:58 AM   #8
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I've heard Eragon is selling very well. Also those that criticize it ought to note that it was written for a specific age group, which is younger people. My younger brother read it, and he loved it. I'm planning to read it too, eventually.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

you know what though, the names are kinda....corny. i mean, i was reading it aloud and i broke into giggles every time i said one of the made-up words. the plot is intriguing though

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:33 AM   #10
Gulio, Strength of Many
Lover of all things orange and cheesy

I hate dragons. That's all there is to it. Sorry Pip, but I'll probably skip this one

It was like the Manifest Destiny all over again, except, instead of taking and consuming everything in their paths for God, they did so with the same fervor and sense of entitlement for their new god... themselves.

If you want to know more about Jesus, have a prayer need, or want to talk about anything, PM me.
Gulio, Strength of Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:40 AM   #11
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

I think Eragon is amazing! I'm absolutely hooked- whenever I get a two minute breather at work I'm sat on my desk reading it! I agree that at times it parallels Lotr etc but all fantasy novels borrow off eachother here and there- I loved Tolkein but his ideas weren't all his own, he borrowed off old tales and probably other writers as do all in the world of literature. The author here is just doing the same. Great book and I can't wait for the next one. Nice to see someone is still writing decent fantasy stories out there. Mx
Old 06-07-2004, 11:53 AM   #12
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I thought it was a great book, and even more amazing because it was written by such a young author. I did not mind that he borrowed some ideas, because he put them together in his own way, and made a good story. There are so many books out there that you can't really write anything without using something that someone, somewhere used before, but you can still write a story that is completely your own, which is what Paolini did. I thought it was great and can't wait to read the sequel.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:02 AM   #13
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I started reading Eragon the other day. I think it's pretty good so far. Dispite the fact that i love LOTR, I really don't read that much fantasy, so I can't really rate it by anything but Tolkien.
It's an interesting story so far, though. I think the writing could use some help, as the author seems to want to use old, elegant English (like Tolkien), but doesn't quite have a handle on it.

Um, a tiny off-topic question- ethuiliel, I like your avatar; it looks like a pic of Faramir and Eowyn. I was wondering if the original picture (like a full-sized version, something easier to make out) was availible for viewing anyplace?
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 11:15 PM   #14
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Miranda
I think Eragon is amazing! I'm absolutely hooked- whenever I get a two minute breather at work I'm sat on my desk reading it! I agree that at times it parallels Lotr etc but all fantasy novels borrow off eachother here and there- I loved Tolkein but his ideas weren't all his own, he borrowed off old tales and probably other writers as do all in the world of literature. The author here is just doing the same. Great book and I can't wait for the next one. Nice to see someone is still writing decent fantasy stories out there. Mx
Tolkien got some of his ideas based off of mythology from what I understand. However, there are many components to his books that a genuinely original.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 05:37 AM   #15
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
Tolkien got some of his ideas based off of mythology from what I understand. However, there are many components to his books that a genuinely original.
I agree that many aspects of Tolkien is completely original and I think that is one of the reasons he stands out a lot more than other fantasy writers. Maybe I shouldn't have said he borrowed specifically from old tales but more age old themes- if that makes sense.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:06 PM   #16
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Exactly....good authors, like Tolkien, like Christopher Paolini, don't take any specific story, but they take themes, from mythology, from other books, etc., and use it in their own ways, unique to their stories, yet with a basis in something else. Does that make sense?

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote