Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Chronicles of Narnia Movie - The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

I just got back from seeing CoN:LWW - wow, I need to process it a bit, but basically excellent! I've read the books for so long and know them so well that I kind of need to get one movie screening out of the way before I can really relax and enjoy the movie. It was like that with the LoTR movies, too.

Anyway, here's some first impressions:

Casting of the 4 kids was great! Lucy is adorable, Peter is brave/good without being annoying (I just wanted to pinch his cute little cheeks and introduce him to my daughter!), Susan was realistically ambivilant, and Edmund was convincing as traitor turned brave because of Aslan's sacrifice for him.

CG pretty good, but still a bit stiff at times. They're good at wind/hair effects, but it's still hard to get weight down good. The fauns (the first CG thing you see) were a bit awkward IMO, but overall very good, considering the number of CG creatures they had to do.

Death scene very moving.

Fight w/ Peter and the witch great!

V. well-imagined and interesting concept of the dryads.

The river section in the middle was an addition, and I found it very awkward and contrived - basically a set-up to show Peter "afraid" to use his sword so that it will be "better" when he uses it later Kind of an Aragorn-afraid-of-his-heritage fake thing. Stupid Hollywood!

Witch was creepy - I loved the little snowflaky-things at the tips of her eyelashes - kind of gave you a dirty-eyes type of feeling, like it was eye-crud stuck on her lashes. Dresses and hair were very good, kind of creepily organic and twisted, until you got a long shot and saw how it stuck out at the back behind her neck.

Warning - they show some credits at the end, then another minute of movie! So stay seated.

Interesting beginning - showing the blitz in London, and a bit of tension between Edmund and Peter.

They even showed the bluebottle fly in the window in the wardrobe room, altho it wasn't dead. Lots of attention to details in the book like that.

I"ll prob. see it again Sunday with the rest of the family (I went with my girlfriend whose hubby works in the theater industry - free passes!) and will be able to report more. But overall very good - I think ... (need to process!)

(mods - I started a new thread because the other threads were kind of pre-movie things - merge it in one of those if you want to )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote