Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-1999, 12:46 AM   #1
bmilder

John Williams should compose the music for LotR

What do you think? Williams is certainly the master of film scores, but could he pull off something like LotR? I think he could. He's scored for films of many genres, and fantasy is no different. However, I don't think that he would have enough time to score both Episode II and LotR, so unfortunately they'll have to get someone else .
Old 09-24-1999, 11:54 AM   #2
Hernalt

John Williams.

Um. Williams is Wagnerian and Classical. Tolkien's language and music cleave closely to Welsh and Celtic. Not saying he couldn't Do it, but I'd want someone else to try their hand. I'm the worst one to ask, though. I'd vote for Anybody off Green Linnet Records before I went with the knee-jerk vote for Williams.
Old 09-24-1999, 07:55 PM   #3
Darth Tater

Re: John Williams.

I agree with Hernalt. Though I love the work of John Williams Tolkien isn't his style
Old 09-25-1999, 02:28 PM   #4
dmaul96

i too appreciate the works of john williams, but i must agree with hernalt. therefor i have been chosen to write the music for lotr. my musical expertise will allow me to perfeclty write the music for lotr.
Old 09-25-1999, 08:05 PM   #5
Darth Tater

Oh, I can't wait
Old 09-27-1999, 02:41 AM   #6
Jedi Eowyn

LotR Music

Music, another element that could go wrong! Hernalt nailed the Williams problem on the head with the Wagnerian thing. But I was thinking they should go Baroque or Medieval, European, and not Celtic. I don't mean to run down Celtic, I have a few cds that have spun more times than can be counted. And "European" could be called Celtic. You know what I mean! (I hope?) I'd like some nice premodern music without the same sense of rhythimc pattern or melodic structure. Sweelink (sp) or Hert or all those works by 14-16 century anonomous would be ideal. If not the old music, then something very derivative would be nice. ?? (I can hear Hernalt typing that Celtic music also works outside of the Mozart paradigm. Hernalt, could you type more quietly?) Do we know if Legolas, Aragorn & Galadriel are going to sing?
Old 09-27-1999, 03:28 PM   #7
Hernalt

LotR Music

My friend had a comprehensive Medeival music collection and he burned a tape for me of the most.. telling calibre. Had every medeival instrument, very Crusade period, but I have no documentation or jacket for it. He wrote down the artist on a little Post-It and of course I damn up and put it somewhere I'd never lose it. So now I can't find it. AGGHGHHHH! Anyway, what I have on that tape is The music I want for my Medeival book when it gets written to screenplay one of these centuries. Hopefully, LotR won't find it, hehheh, for it would steal the show, especially the battle sequences. But if I find the artist again, I'll post the reference. I think Baroque would be inviting the wrong imagery or flavor, like powdered wigs and rougued cheeks, harpsicord or no. On AICN is an article from 8/7/99, with excerpt: <FONT COLOR=GREEN>"I've heard many people ask if there's singing in the film, and there are indeed walking songs at a few points. They're quick, though, and I'm curious to hear how they're handled. They mainly mark the passage of time, and Jackson really keeps things moving. The first Ringwraith appearance is duly freaky, and the initial encounter between Gandalf and Saruman is great, tense and exciting.."</FONT> For TalkBack comments, do search on " sing ", " song " and " music ". Be sure to include spaces. (4 posts with "song"; 1 with "sing"; 1 with "music".) It seems from other TalkBacks that if the actor/actresses themselves do start a song, there may be a fadeback and overdub to an actual singing artist. It would be interesting. Oh, yes, and the Celtic music also works outside of the Mozart paradigm!! Maybe Bard from the Hobbit could make a PJ-esque cameo?
Old 09-27-1999, 11:17 PM   #8
Darth Tater

Re: LotR Music

Jedi Eowyn, I know exactly what you're talking about. There's a recorder piece from that period that would have been perfect for Bombadil's song if he had been left in.
Old 09-29-1999, 06:15 PM   #9
Loopy

Re: LotR Music

I'll probably get stoned for saying this, but I'd like Danny Elfman to score LOTR. He's versatile enough to pull off the bijillion different moods and ideas in LOTR -- dark/brooding, action, danger, romance, beauty, wonder, mystery, and on and on... Plus, his offbeat style really complements Peter Jackson's work (eg The Frighteners)
Old 10-03-1999, 06:48 PM   #10
Jedi Eowyn

Elfman? Elfman? ???

Elfman for me will always be that music in Beetlejuice when we fly through the model of the town, end up looking at the house which turns out to be a model, and the spider crawls over the model house. There's something very fake-horror in it for me. Humor-horror. Do you think he can do serious?
Old 10-03-1999, 09:24 PM   #11
Loopy

Can he do serious????

Sure. hell yes. It's hard to judge him based just on Beetlejuice, since that movie was for the most part pure humor. He does a lot of goofy stuff like that, but he is also very good at creating surreal and fantastically eerie moods, and in the midst of that, also conveying great beauty. Like the scene at the end of Men in Black when tommy Lee Jones tells Will Smith to erase his memory. He worked on Dead Presidents, Good Will Hunting, @#%$ Tracy, Men in Black (and didn't he get an Oscar nomination for MIB?), Batman, Edward, Scissorhands, Mission Impossible, et al here is his IMDB filmography --- <A HREF=http://us.imdb.com/Name?Elfman,+Danny>http://us.imdb.com/Name?Elfman,+Danny</A>
Old 10-09-1999, 11:03 PM   #12
Hernalt

Sound Designer

That new press release doesn't give Sound Designer, Composer, or anything on score or music. Aside from the obvious requirement for an evocative score, are there any sound effects anyone really wanted to hear? In particular, I'm curious how the Balrog will sound. Like, will it make this etheral hiss like the Aliens or a tembloring, trembling bass roar like the Sando Aqua Monster? And the Orcs - can't wait to hear them spit on each other just trying to say 'Hi'. Most of all, I'm holding my breath for the sound when the Witch-King splits asunder the doors of Minas Tirith. The way the scene is written out, the panning camera can pull in one hell of a lot of action before it draws back to the doors.. Just as they're riven asunder. I kind of imagined this high-pitched squeal of exploding metal just before the metal doors burst into flaming fragments and shoot inward. Like, have the camera shake with the impact like they do with heavy-duty explosions, with a Death-Star-class explosion sound. Then enter the Witch-King with some makor high-pitched strings in the key of hell a la SW: Trench Battle where Luke nearly buys it just before the torpedos. I'll be curious also if they use strings to cinch up the tension when the Nine Riders are haunting the Hobbits out of the Shire.
Old 10-09-1999, 11:17 PM   #13
bmilder

Re: Sound Designer

Yes, with 500 names it's a very conspicuous omission. I've always thought of the Balrog having a deep roar. A hiss just wouldn't be good enough. Something that big wouldn't just hiss Too bad they probably can't get Ben Burtt for sound design. Either strings or maybe some low brass would be good for the Nine Riders. They could make it sound like something out of "Psycho" . I think they should also give the Nazgul some sort of choral theme, like the Emperor had.
Old 10-09-1999, 11:44 PM   #14
Hernalt

Re: Sound Designer

Yeah, but shouldn't Holy Evil be reserved for Sauron Himself...?
Old 10-09-1999, 11:48 PM   #15
bmilder

Re: John Williams should compose the music for LotR

Well, who knows if they're even going to show Sauron at all... but I guess when his Eye searches for Frodo at the Pillars of the Kings it could play his theme.
Old 10-10-1999, 01:33 AM   #16
Loopy

I can't wait to hear what sound effects they use for the Nazgul and Shelob. And do we know who is voicing Gollum yet? But 2 of the things I'm most anxious to hear are: 1. The sounds the Fellowship hears in Moria before they are attacked 2. the death of the Witch-King
Old 10-10-1999, 01:50 AM   #17
bmilder

Gollum

Yeah, the guy who's voicing Gollum is named Andy Serkis.
Old 10-10-1999, 09:37 PM   #18
Darth Tater

Balrog

Hernalt, I like your ideas for the Balrog sound. I just can't wait to see him
Old 10-11-1999, 05:11 PM   #19
Hernalt

Re: Balrog

Of course, anticipating a certain effect or ambiance is a recipe for dissatisfaction. Particulary satisfying TPM sound effects occured near technology (reving/flying pod engines, TF troopcarrier engines, lightsabres) but also near lifeforms (Sando Aqua Monster, alien racer languages). I'll try to not anticiapte distinct vision, but it can be expected that whoever the sound designer is will go to town with occurances of magic, voices of trolls, orcs and Ringwraiths, occurances of creatures like the Watcher in the Water, the Moria Balrog, Shelob, and the Ringwraith mounts. Each sound and voice must be distinctive enough to differentiate even in memory (who can forget Ben Burt's excellence in TPM??), so there's a whole spectrum of timbre tone pitch blah blah whatever the SD will deal with to get some truly evocative sound effects. They can't all be loud roars or slithery hisses. I fully expect some quasi-real double/echo voices, digitally lowered or roughened voices - nothing new, for sure, but let's see how close they come to TPM's precedent.
Old 10-28-1999, 07:56 PM   #20
bmilder

From TOR.N: " Oh My GOD this is amazing news!!! Everyone now on gods green earth get down on your knees and pray this is true, If the news is true then Composer Wojciech Kilar is close to signing as composer for LOTR!!! Kilar, in my opinion one of the BEST!! If you guys have chatted with me on Barliman's you'll know I say the 2 composers who should do these films should be Eric Serra or Wojciech Kilar. And now the latter seems to be coming true!! I have read yesterday in top Polish newspaper "Gazeta Wyborcza" that Wojciech Kilar (Dracula) shall compose the music for LOTR. He's got already the script and the negotiation of the contract should be finished soon. " That's just a cut and paste, I've never actually heard of this guy...