Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-24-2003, 03:50 PM   #41
TheWhiteRider
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfmaster XK
Umbridge I’m still a bit unsure of. I disliked Grawp. I thought the darkness and overall atmosphere too heavy for children, and the sinister, yet subtlety of the takeover too complicated for them. I don’t think this much politics has a place in children’s books, they don’t need it...
I think that JK was aiming a little more towards the older kids with this book, meaning teenagers the same age as harry, and the atmosphere was perfect for them, IMO. Also, I think the dark mood was created to reflect Harry's mood and thoughts.

EDIT::Then again, idk how many of each age group read it.

"Begun, the Clone War has..."
~Yoda

"I can't see, as I'm facing your pitiful lies, don't have the strength, to carry your heavy load of lies."
~H.I.M.

Last edited by TheWhiteRider : 06-24-2003 at 03:51 PM.
TheWhiteRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:01 PM   #42
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Umbndge was a good variation on the good vs evil. More like real life evil that the Voldemort kind. Just lust for power with no moral compass. I hted her being at Hogwarts but she did make a good tthreat. Completely disposable as a character. Not much there past the villany bit. May get ressurrected if Fudge get offed next time (he's such an idiot, antway).
Maybe that was it. That she was completely disposable and empty apart from the only purpose she had. I am more expectant of deep characters whose uses can change and they can come back. Like, Moody.

Quote:

I don't think we can kill Harry, though, EXK, him being the protagonist and all (Next series - Neville Longbotton and the...?). I'm guessing JKR will find a cute way for Harry to "accidentally" kill Voldemort so he won't be "Killer" Harry.

So is Harry a danger junkie? Just a few weeks after Cedric dies and he's chomping at the bit for action.
Of course she can kill Harry.At the end of book 7 there is nothing more to come. And by the bleakness of this book, there may be nothing left. At least, nothing for Harry to live for. Even if he kills Voldemort, I don't think he'll be able to deal with that. He'll feel pointless and empty. And I think he will be killer Harry. He should be. He deserves to get revenge on Voldemort, it's what he wants.

Heh, danger junkie. Possibly. Seems that way doesn't it. A few weeks of nothing and he gets all angry and frustrated.

Quote:
I think that JK was aiming a little more towards the older kids with this book, meaning teenagers the same age as harry, and the atmosphere was perfect for them, IMO. Also, I think the dark mood was created to reflect Harry's mood and thoughts.
Maybe she was. But she can't exclusively do that as Harry gets older. Then it'll become not a childrens book at all, when Harry reaches 17 he's almost an adult. Younger children might start loosing interest if it becomes too much about politics and teenage angst. I'm not saying they're stupid; they're not. But they aren't interested in that. They care about the wonder and magic of it all. This book seemed to take the joy out of the magical world. It was sad. But I still love it, don't get me wrong.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:05 PM   #43
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

oooooooh that Umbridge woman scares me! especially when her hand came into the fire to get Sirius! I jumped out of my skin even though i was only reading it!lol!

This book is even more addictive than the others. The chapters finish so suddenly you have to read the next one because you can't be left in suspense you have to know what happened!

Oh and at school everyone went running around shouting who was killed out and they spoiled it completely for me! Plus it was one of my fave characters! Oh and what can i say about Fred and George! noooo! lol

I got about 6 chapters left! yay!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:33 PM   #44
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
People on my good list:
Harry -- quite a bit angrier this time around. Yep, he's a teenager.
Ron and Hermione -- will they just get it over with already?
Ginny -- she's cool now that she's not possessed by Voldemort.
Neville -- whoa. Didn't see all that coming. Very nice.
Fred and George -- my heroes.
Dumbledore -- excellent timing to save the day.
Tonks, Moody, Kingsley, Lupin, etc. -- good supporting cast.
Prof. McGonagall -- my new favorite teacher. I love the way she handles Umbridge.
Peeves -- actually proves useful.
Sirius -- too bad he dies.
Luna -- very... interesting.

I'm sure I'm leaving someone out.

People I want hung up by their toenails:
Umbridge -- she better be glad I'm not a student at Hogwarts.
Percy -- I just want to smack some sense into him.
Kreacher -- I think I'd feed him to Buckbeak.
Cornelius Fudge -- what an idiot. Glad he sort of came around in the end.

Plus Voldemort and the rest of the Death Eaters, but that goes without saying.
Wow. I mean...Wow. That is exactly what I was going to say. Some thoughts: You really don't want to know what I would do to Umbridge if I were there. Percy would truly need Madam Pomfrey after I was through with him. McGonagall is so cool! It's too bad Neville's wand got snapped. But that was so cool how he did the Impediment Curse!
Fred and George: What can I say? I wouldn't have stuck around to take my N.E.W.T's either.
Peeves: Never took an order before but he certainly gave that horrid woman some trouble!
Khamul, you forgot Filch on your 'String Up By Their Toenails' list.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:03 PM   #45
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
I was kind of surprissed about Flich! I mean JR made Sirius out to be a murderer but then it turns out he's not! And Snape even though I still think he's a prick does work for the Order. So naterually you would think that just because Filch is as prick like as Snape that he would turn out to be good but no! And I cried when Sirius died! He was the best character in the book (aside from Fred and George ofcourse)! But I have a question and I don't if it should go in another thread or not so please tell me if it does. What was that thing that Sirius fell through? I'm geussing a portal to the afterlife, that once you pass through you can't get back out. Will someone please tell if I'm or not because this very confussing.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:24 PM   #46
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I loved OotP! I thought it was the best book so far! It was so sad when Sirius died even though I found out before I read it that he was the one who would die anywho, is the room with the Veil in it something like a death Chamber? didn't someone mention that room as the Death Chamber? I'm confused on that.....I wish books 6 and 7 were coming out soon! But I've heard they woun't be out till 2005 and 2007
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:40 PM   #47
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

Sirius was my favorite character...
I thought Luna was really cool, and I like Grawp too I think my favorite part was where Fred and George leave...
Salquënòrëwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:57 PM   #48
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Quote:
But I have a question and I don't if it should go in another thread or not so please tell me if it does. What was that thing that Sirius fell through? I'm geussing a portal to the afterlife, that once you pass through you can't get back out. Will someone please tell if I'm or not because this very confussing.
(Well for now this is the only thread discussing Book 5 that I've seen, so it's fine.)
I guess it's something like that--makes as much sense as anything else and JK didn't explain it.
Although it makes me very suspicious--since Sirius' death was so quick and unemotional (at least to me--it's sad that he died but I wasn't sad during it), and we don't have a dead body....I strongly suspect that he'll turn up again. Somehow. We'll see.

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:16 PM   #49
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanoliel
I strongly suspect that he'll turn up again. Somehow. We'll see.
I thought about that, but Rowling said that she cried when she killed him off. I don't know if she would have cried if he's not gone for good. Unless she's bluffing.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 11:51 PM   #50
Silpion
Elven Warrior

Quote:
posted by Sheeana
Sirius' death felt like it had been just dashed off; I didn't have any particular feeling for this scene other than, Aha! I guessed right!
I wholeheartedly agree. It was only later when I read this scene that Sirius' death really hit me.
Quote:
“Am I to understand,” said Phineas Nigellus slowly from Harry’s left,”that my great-great-grandson --- the last of the Blacks --- is dead?”
“Yes, Phineas,” said Dumbledore.
“I don’t believe it,” said Phineas brusquely.
Harry turned his head in time to see Phineas marching out of his portrait and knew that he had gone to visit his other painting in Grimmauld Place. He would walk, perhaps, from portrait to portrait, calling for Sirius through the house . . .
I enjoyed this book, right before my eyes, the characters are growing and changing. I wish it had been even longer.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:28 AM   #51
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
I thought about that, but Rowling said that she cried when she killed him off. I don't know if she would have cried if he's not gone for good. Unless she's bluffing.
That's why I think my theory is probably bollocks. But I'm hoping she was bluffing...Sirius deserves some mention at least, later on.

tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 06-26-2003, 05:04 PM   #52
Arcala
Elven Warrior

Sirius and Lupin are my favorite characters, and I'm really mad at Rowling for just killing him off like that...........still, I for one think he'll turn up later.
Stay in bed, float up stream (float up stream)

Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me
Leave me where I am - I'm only sleeping

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need (there's no need)

Please, don't spoil my day, I'm miles away
And after all I'm only sleeping..."

-from the Beatles' I'm Only Sleeping
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 05:38 PM   #53
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
[/i]originally posted by Khamul[/i]
People on my good list:
Harry -- quite a bit angrier this time around. Yep, he's a teenager.
Ron and Hermione -- will they just get it over with already?
Ginny -- she's cool now that she's not possessed by Voldemort.
Neville -- whoa. Didn't see all that coming. Very nice.
Fred and George -- my heroes.
Dumbledore -- excellent timing to save the day.
Tonks, Moody, Kingsley, Lupin, etc. -- good supporting cast.
Prof. McGonagall -- my new favorite teacher. I love the way she handles Umbridge.
Peeves -- actually proves useful.
Sirius -- too bad he dies.
Luna -- very... interesting.

I'm sure I'm leaving someone out.

People I want hung up by their toenails:
Umbridge -- she better be glad I'm not a student at Hogwarts.
Percy -- I just want to smack some sense into him.
Kreacher -- I think I'd feed him to Buckbeak.
Cornelius Fudge -- what an idiot. Glad he sort of came around in the end.

Plus Voldemort and the rest of the Death Eaters, but that goes without saying.
I mainly agree with you. Just thought that Ron and Hermione were a bit less aggressive this book, and Harry was a bit too aggressive.

And I wanted to point Tonks as a very funny character. (I liked her hair )

And I was really sad whe Sirius *sob* died... I loved him... (I actually believed one of the Weaslies is going to die)

I hope Rowling won't take a holiday as she did after the 4th book and start writing the next one soon. I want the sixth to be published more one year max.!
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:07 AM   #54
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Hem hem (I practically yelled at the book every time she did that)
I've just finished reading the Order of the Phoenix, and overall, I loved it. Brilliant stuff. My longer response on this will be posted later.

Generally, I agree with IronParrot's posts. Sirius' death was ...disappointing. But Harry's subsequent grief and desperation made me cry, though. But I think Sirius deserved a bit more than falling through the veil- he is/was one of my favourite characters!

And one thing I don't understand is Malfoy's appointment as prefect. Dumbledore was aware of Malfoy's malicious and "evil" nature, and he didn't display particular responsibility either. (Though I do admit, he had considerable power over other students) Why choose Malfoy to be a prefect? Especially as a son of a prominent Death Eater?
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:21 AM   #55
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
And one thing I don't understand is Malfoy's appointment as prefect. Dumbledore was aware of Malfoy's malicious and "evil" nature, and he didn't display particular responsibility either. (Though I do admit, he had considerable power over other students) Why choose Malfoy to be a prefect? Especially as a son of a prominent Death Eater?
I wondered about that too. It can't be that everyone else in Slytherin is too stupid. Maybe Malfoy is the only one other Slyths listen to, and Dumbledore doesn't mind if that's because of fear rather than respect.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 04:09 PM   #56
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Lin
I thought in the begnning that Snape (professor Snape) chose the prefects. After I read the end, I could've easily understand that Dumbeldore chose the prefects (or at least Hermione and Ron. Maybe he didn't choose Slytherin's prefects, Ravenclaw's ands Hufflepuff's)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 04:58 PM   #57
elf queen
Hobbit

I liked it. I still think the 3rd book was favorit. I mean it was good and all but...

Everyone was soooo evil!!!

Percy stinks!!!

Why does my favorit charater (AKA Sirius Black) have to die!!!

Why does Harry's dad have to be a jerk!!!

But I am making it sound as though I didn't like it. I really did enjoy it . I recomend it!!!!!
elf queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:02 PM   #58
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

I also couldn't belive James was such a jerk, I was so mad at him.....and I kinda felt sorry for Snape....until he called Lily a mudblood, then I was like "Now beat his head against the ground, James!" hehe....
Salquënòrëwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:33 PM   #59
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

this book was great. i liked seeing the history between james and snape and hearing what dumbledore should of told harry 5 years ago, it was surprising about neville though
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 03:04 AM   #60
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen

Obviously, because the book wouldn't have been as interesting.
I think JK did it--even though logically it doesn't make sense--because then a) Malfoy would have gained something Harry didn't and b) would be able to pull things over on other students--something he has always done and which seems to be a popular plot pastime.

It doesn't make sense, though. But we've seen that Dumbledore believes in giving people chances, so....

tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....