Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-24-2003, 09:14 PM   #1
hobinator
Enting

Re: all ya' alls....

Quote:
Originally posted by goodwarlord
All ya' alls know that Gandalf would bust harry's chops. I mean he could just bust him down like Sampson. Jimmy on the other might put up a better chop bustin' match, Squak!
who are sampson and jimmy?
hobinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Ya... Harry Potter would get his butt kicked by Gandalf, but hey? I like to argue!
cool keep it up then i like arguing to. ill get it started again..

Quote:
soon he will be the most famous Auror of all!
that will not save him as far as i know there are 3 pissweak curses (that are the 3 most dangerous in the HP world) only one of which can kill... curses in the HP world are pathetic as is demonstrated in The Goblet of Fire when HP jumps out of the way of a Curse to me that seems that a gun would be better than any of there magic. ohhhhhh what i would give to see the Last Alliance invade Hogwarts and destroy HP...
Old 01-26-2003, 05:20 PM   #3
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

It is true that only one curse can kill. But doesn't that say that HP world is less violent and more advanced them middle earth. So much of lotr is derived around killing, in HP people are only temporarily killed. Everyone who was petrified got better. With the exception if Cedric and Harry's parents, no one important was killed. in lotr Boromir died! Gollum died! Hama died! Boromir's dad dies! (forget his name... the guy who tried to blow up himself and his son!) Do you see a comom theme?

Also...

Some things are worse then death. The crusias curse puts the person/animal it is being cast on in horrible pain! I would rather die then spend the rest of my life in never ending pain! Take Nevil's parents! They were both aurors put under the crusias curse, and look how they turned out! in a mental hospital, they don't ever recongize there own son! The imperious curse allows the caster/user to to control the actions of another person! That is pretty bad! One could amke another person do whatever they wanted them to! The castor/user could permanently screw up someones life!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:37 AM   #4
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I like them both, but Gandalf is a Maia and Harry's just a mortal, sooooo...you can see where this is going, right?
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:55 AM   #5
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I got around to reading harry potter this weekend, and I have come to the conclusion that all you people better lay off the purple every flavor beans. Gandalf would decimate him.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:00 AM   #6
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Yes, he would.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:09 AM   #7
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

So, Heather, nice to see you back.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:12 AM   #8
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

duh Gandalf would win........Harry is still cool though. The better question would be DUMBLEDORE vs GANDALF. I mean Harry is just going into his 5th year of magic training - hes a kid.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:16 AM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Do you see dumbledor as the balrog slaying type?
Old 01-27-2003, 02:21 AM   #10
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Hmph...good one, Wayfarer. He's got a point, you know. Either way --- Gandalf wins.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:22 AM   #11
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Voldemort vs Gandalf - oh wait if a little boy can beat him so can Gandalf

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 02:28 AM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Voldemort versus Sauron

One escapes death by putting all his power into a magic ring, the other escapes death by sticking himself to the back of some other guy's head. ]: )
Old 01-27-2003, 02:37 AM   #13
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

At least Sauron was an actual challenge......
Old 01-27-2003, 05:39 AM   #14
Millane
The Dude

Eowyngirl14 i cant really be stuffed quoting you but with my understanding the cruciatus curse gave some sharp pain but then it was released... hey its been awhile since i read these books but didnt HP and Cedric cop the Cruciatus curse???
Quote:
So much of lotr is derived around killing
yes and thats because the people in LotR have the means to kill... and by the way why does that matter in the slightest. thats one of the things that makes LotR a better book than HP... ohhh and Hama was soooo important let me see Barty Crouch and Son, Bertha Jorkins, old man at the start of tGoF... well ok more important people die in LotR than in HP but in my books that doesnt really count for much because Nob is more important than HP and everyone else doesnt compare...
Old 01-27-2003, 05:08 PM   #15
eowyngirl14

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
Eowyngirl14 i cant really be stuffed quoting you but with my understanding the cruciatus curse gave some sharp pain but then it was released... hey its been awhile since i read these books but didnt HP and Cedric cop the Cruciatus curse???
Yes Harry was released from the curse... but he didn't have to be. He could have been kept under it for his entire life! (Though Voldemort's hand would have gotten a little tired prolly...) Even a little sharp pain your entire life would unbearable to me.... but then again I am a weakling who is desperatly afriad of any sort of physical pain!

Quote:
yes and thats because the people in LotR have the means to kill... and by the way why does that matter in the slightest. thats one of the things that makes LotR a better book than HP... ohhh and Hama was soooo important let me see Barty Crouch and Son, Bertha Jorkins, old man at the start of tGoF... well ok more important people die in LotR than in HP but in my books that doesnt really count for much because Nob is more important than HP and everyone else doesnt compare...
Just because you are able to do simething doesn't nessesarily mean you should do it. Just becasue we have the means to anhilate (spelling?) the entire planet sure as hell doesn't mean it should be done! That matters because I am very against violence in any form. Couldn't Gandalf have talked it out and compromised with Saruman? (oh wait... he already tried that!) Okay, so maybe there was no point to that little tidbit... BUT

We didn't have the emotional attachment to Barty Crouch his son and Bertha Jorkins that I did with Hama. They were not as developed charecters! Therefore their deaths were not as heard to deal with! (I know I am stretching it a bit but o wel!)

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-28-2003, 08:43 PM   #16
Millane
The Dude

how can you say that Hama was a developed carachter????????? you arent one of those people that think the same of Haldir are you??
anyways
Quote:
Just because you are able to do simething doesn't nessesarily mean you should do it. Just becasue we have the means to anhilate (spelling?) the entire planet sure as hell doesn't mean it should be done! That matters because I am very against violence in any form.
ohhhhh goody Ethics... i must warn you i took on my 5000 year old mr burns like Headmaster in a debate about the acceptability of violence and i gave him a hiding... it was the only time i got away with calling him ignorant... are you one of those people that thinks violence is never the right answer??? to quote Theoden in the movie "what can men do againts such reckless hate?" well of course the answer is ride out and slaughter them... what did you suppose Aragorn should have done at Pellenor Feilds sat down for a cuppa with Saurons armies and tried to persuade em that this wasnt the right answer???
anyways i would write more but i gotta go engage in some PlanetDestroying mwahahahahahaha
Old 01-28-2003, 09:58 PM   #17
eowyngirl14

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
how can you say that Hama was a developed carachter????????? you arent one of those people that think the same of Haldir are you??

Maybe...

Quote:
ohhhhh goody Ethics... i must warn you i took on my 5000 year old mr burns like Headmaster in a debate about the acceptability of violence and i gave him a hiding... it was the only time i got away with calling him ignorant... are you one of those people that thinks violence is never the right answer??? to quote Theoden in the movie "what can men do againts such reckless hate?" well of course the answer is ride out and slaughter them... what did you suppose Aragorn should have done at Pellenor Feilds sat down for a cuppa with Saurons armies and tried to persuade em that this wasnt the right answer???
Yes actualy I od believe that violence is never the answere! Two wrongs don't make a right! "what can men do againts such reckless hate?" Wel... they could... they could... go into therapy??

*smiles sheepishly and runs away*

Oh and before you ask... I do want to save the whales and the rainforest!

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #18
Millane
The Dude

hehehehehehe... now this was the part were i called him ignorant because there isnt always a good answer... theres someone with a hostage in his house he isnt listening to anything anyone is saying he is going to kill the bloke... whats your answer??? i would kill him first....
Old 01-29-2003, 05:02 PM   #19
eowyngirl14

Wel... you wouldn't have to kill the man holding someone else hostage. They could just shoot him with one of those tranquilizers, who know like they use on cows? Then they could arrest him.

The man holding the other person hostage is obviously very mentally unstable. The people who live/work around him should have noticed and tried to get him help. There is always a root to a problem. And I think there is always atleast one chance to stop the problem before it gets to big to handle. But I see your point. Fortunetly I am not a police officer or other emergency worker, and i don't have to make those tough calls. I would prolly cave under all of the pressure anyways. That is a good question. You can never really know for sure whether or not that someoneis goin to kill their hostage.

(I am forgetting how this relates to Harry Potter and Gandalf...)

- Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-29-2003, 05:33 PM   #20
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Ummm, right.... meanwhile, I have reasoned out a possible answer to the question of Harry vs. Gandalf.

Both Harry Potter and Gandalf are the Number One Good Guy Wizard in their respective worlds. They only fight evil, and they always win.

Therefore, if the two were pitted against each other, they would not be able to fight, as both only fight against evil, and both are by definition good. However, if one of them turned evil, they would then be able to fight; the one who turned evil would lose, however, since the other one, by requirements of his character, always has to defeat the evil.

Thus the question is - which one would turn to evil first?

Harry has strong reasons not to turn to evil, what with his parents being murdered by Voldemort. He also proved himself unable to kill even someone he truly hates (Sirius Black, when he still believed that Sirius had murdered his parents). Furthermore, being a child he retains some innocence and resistance to evil that adults do not have.

Gandalf, being a Maia, has a great deal more wisdom than Harry, and would probably know better than to turn to the dark side. I am certain that Gandalf the White would never be turned, even by the One Ring itself. Gandalf the Grey, however, admitted that he feared to wield the Ring due to its evilifying effects. There is a slight possibility therefore that Gandalf the Grey may have been turned to evil, given lots of time and the One Ring.

I therefore conclude that although Harry Potter might possible beat Gandalf the Grey, he would never even come close with Gandalf the White, and they'd never fight anyway, so the question is moot . . .

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote