Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-06-2001, 03:42 AM   #1
Elanor

Re: Harry Potter

I'm excited about it . I usually like movies based on books that don't try to cover everything in the books, but try to make a good movie and satisfy the fans. I do think this one will do that. So, IP, what do you think? Hooked, like the rest of us?
Old 02-11-2001, 05:50 AM   #2
Gez1

I agree that the movie is Never as good as the book for the simple reason that if you actually use your imagination The book is Always better. Plus the movie always differs from the book to some extent.
Old 02-11-2001, 04:41 PM   #3
Lief Erikson

Differing is not always bad, and movies often portray books excellently. Some of my favorite movies are adaptations of the books.

It's just this one that I'm not particularly looking forward to. I don't know why.
Old 02-16-2001, 05:59 AM   #4
IronParrot

I'm not very excited about the movies either.

Mostly it's because I'd really prefer it if the books had some time to age before anyone tried to take on a movie project... also because by the time all seven books are done, the last three might play on some details in the first four that might be missed in the movie.

There are a lot of films that I like that happen to be adaptations... Fight Club, Jurassic Park, Gone With The Wind to name a few. I absolutely love The Wizard of Oz, even though it cut out a great deal of the original story (i.e. the last few chapters after the departure of the Wizard).
Old 02-17-2001, 08:25 AM   #5
Gez1

Let's face it. Most of the current Fantasy Novels run along the same theme. (Don't make a big deal out of something that is not a big deal) These stories inspire young people to READ!
And that is the most important theme here. I liked the Harry Potter books. They were a fun diversion. I bought these books for a young neice, but read them all myself and have to say that I really enjoyed them I look forward to sharing this story with her.
Old 02-21-2001, 05:43 AM   #6
Lief Erikson

Actually, when I think about it, that's probably true. Almost all fantasies all have mithical objects, beings and places, and the dark enemy has to be defeated.

I think probably one of the best things about Harry Potter is the comedy and character development.
Old 07-30-2001, 12:15 AM   #7
EZ Board Nomad

They were amazingly written, in a style far more engrossing than most 'adult sci-fi/fantasy' writers can muster. The subject matter may seem commonplace to sci-fi/fantasy veterans, but to kids it is an excellent starting place.
Old 09-29-2001, 12:10 AM   #8
Bantan
Hobbit

Location: lower Texas (a desolate wasteland called the Valley)
I thought it was cool( ) cause the writer used the same style in all 4 books. I thought that i wouldnt be able to read the Goblet of Fire, but the style was exactly the same as the other 3. It was just longer!

"The walls have ears...Ican hear them listening"
Bantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 03:21 PM   #9
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

The only thing that disappointed me about that one was the lack of Quidditch. The contests of Quidditch really were good, and I missed them.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 04:16 PM   #10
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Though I'm considered waaaaaaay to old for them, I've enjoyed each one. Looking forward to the movie too.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 04:43 AM   #11
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

In Australia, 59 more sleeps 'till the movie.

I Love Harry Potter!!!!!!!
Elven Warrior Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 11:39 PM   #12
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I am in total agreement with EZ Board Nomad's comment above. I find most sci-fi/fantasy totally inaccessible because the narrative just doesn't click with me. I like novels that are distinctly more than just "more of the same", and Harry Potter is the finest current example.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 08:40 PM   #13
Werewolf
Hobbit

They are pretty good, I was skeptical at first because a bunch of idiots were going around saying they where better than Tolkien, but I was surprised, there not bad. I am also looking forward to the movie. I get more strange looks from my parents now that I refer to them as muggles, and when they ask me to explain, I simply sigh and say "oh, you wouldn't understand", with this and speaking a lot of Elvish, Dwarvish,and Klingon, they are convinsed I have have lost my marbles...maybe I have...
Old 10-31-2001, 05:08 PM   #14
Ozymandias
Hobbit

I blazed through the first two HP books over the weekend. Have to take a break now, 'cause Star by Star and Sea of Swords came out yesterday...then it's back to HP.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 07:30 PM   #15
Phelan Kell
Hobbit

I loved all the books. A little too much actually. I started reading my first last fall. When I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. The next week I went out and bought the other three. I was so adicted that it started interfering with my schoolwork. Then, when Christmas exams came, I knew I would have to figure out a way to regulate myself. I then made a plan. I bought all the books on tape. Then, I would listen to one chapter for every thirty minutes of studying. I made the best grades on exams I have ever made, except the finals five months later. I used the same thing then, too.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:34 AM   #16
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Wow, nice old thread...

I'm reading through all four for the second time right now, actually. At least, that's what I've been doing for the past week. I'm on Goblet at present...

There are so many things that one can pick up from a second reading, it's incredible.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 12:39 AM   #17
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I heard that Harry will be dubbed.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 07:55 AM   #18
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

The actors voice broke during the shooting of the film, so he had to get a voice replacement to fix the problem.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 04:05 PM   #19
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

I'm looking forward to the movie.

I got interested in the books my reading it to my....*blush* 7 year old cousin...I don't know if I like all the merchandising they're doing though...Feels a little wrong to me...That's not to say I haven't bought any of it...Those Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans were pretty good...

I agree, though, with whoever said that you can find similarities between HP and other books. You can do that with a lot of books, though! I've seen so many writers use Tolkien characters' names and ideas its not even funny. That's just the way it goes, you know? Not everyone who can write well can come up with completely original ideas....So you borrow here and there and get something that's still you....Maybe the authors you borrow from should be credited a bit more though....
Old 11-25-2001, 01:42 AM   #20
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I loved the part in the movie where the girl goes

"I'M going to bed before you two think up another clever idea to get us all killed, or worse, EXPELLED"

and then the other boy (not harry) goes "she needs to sort out her priority"

however it was really cute the way he said it with his accents it sounded like "shay needs to sot out hur prioretays"
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote