Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-30-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
A prediciton game

If you'd like to know where this all began go to the "Harry destined to die?" thread and read mine and Lizra's post close to the bottom of the first page (currently the only page).
I think that if everyone will participate in this it'll turn out to be a good debate reference point. What we do is taking the last two books (a book at a time) we assign chapters to people, I'm thinking 5 to 10 depending on how many of you join, whoever gets the chapters makes a prediction and then posts it. Taking one prediciton at a time we all then give our oppions on it and agree on a set prediction that can then not be changed. Example: Lizra says in, Chapter two Book 6, Harry will die (don't hate me this is an example) Elf Girl and Fimbrethil and Sirirgorn then say no Dumbldore will, the magority wins and providing Lizra's ego isn't hurt we move to the rest of her predictions. (Sorry) Working our way to the last chapter. If you'd like to post links to why you gave some of those perdictions feel free...that way we won't have to laugh at the sillyness of Dumbldore dieing in Chapter 2 of Book 6.
Now, since you know how I'm going to try to organize this and then keep it running we have to get it started. I think the first thing to do is to get people to join. I'm in, anyone else? Please join...I'll feel like an idiot if you don't. After that everyone who has joined will have to agree on the number of chapters there will be. If and when you join go ahead and say how many chapters you think there will be in Book 6 and once we agree we'll go from there assigning chapters (first come first serve).
At the end of the sixth book perdictions and once everyone has, more or less, read the whole book we get togther and see how much we got right. And laugh at the stuff we got wrong. What do you guys say?
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"

Last edited by Fimbrethil : 05-30-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:44 PM   #2
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Cool. I'm up for it. And I think that for number of chapters in book six, we should just find out as we go, and stop when our story stops. Which would make sense.
And I do not want to go first. I'll give that honor to someone else.

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Ok! Watch my crotchety old ego! I would go first, but something tells me I'm a little "out of touch" so I'll let you younger ones set the pace. So.... we "politely" debate the predictions, decide which are the best and build off of that? I wonder where HOBBIT is? We might need him!

Are we trying to just make a great story, or are we trying to actually predict where Rowling will go? (Something tells me it's the second....)
Old 05-31-2004, 12:25 PM   #4
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Sounds good. I'll help out - though maybe not much at the moment - I'm going through my exams and that so I don't have much time to do alot.

(I think a mixture of the two - but more of the second...)
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
Fimbrethil

Well, I think it'd be best if we picked a definant number....sicne there were thirty eight in the last I'd say about....48. How's that sound? And I can only be wiht oyu guys at the start of this because June 19 I'll be on a plane to South Dakota and I won't be able to get on for about....7 to 8 weeks. If no one else wants to go first I geuss I'll take chapters 1 through 6. We can adjust that if need be. I'll post my predictions later.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:24 AM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

48 chapters! Holy cow! (MY book would be much shorter! ) OK....you do the Dursleys, and maybe a nice little setup on the current Moldy Voldy scene! Oh boy!
Old 06-01-2004, 07:53 AM   #7
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I'll join. Not sure about my predictions though, I'll have to think about them.

Don't you think 48 chapters is too long? I mean... if her books will continue to get bigger, she'd have to make it two books for each year.
Shouldn't we make it a bit shorter?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:04 AM   #8
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Maybe 40 chapters.... ?
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 06-01-2004, 06:47 PM   #9
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

JKR said that the 6th book would be smaller then the 5th. How bout 35? It doesn't have to be exact, does it? Just a rough estimate?
-Two Towers extended DVD

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
Old 06-01-2004, 08:34 PM   #10
Fimbrethil

Ok, I didn't know they would be shorter. I thought longer. But 35 osunds good, I thought when they realesed the book then we could just see how close we got to the right number. Since we made it 35, I think I'll just take chapters 1-5 then. I've some research for a class to do though so I'll post my predictions tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2004, 03:38 AM   #11
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I'm going to have to pull out. I just don't have the time. Sorry.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:03 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Can't wait for the predictions!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:09 PM   #13
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Fimbrethil, are you doing the predicions or not? You said 5 days ago you'd do them 'tomorrow'. And I know that sounded cranky, and I'm sorry about that.

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 06-07-2004, 09:18 PM   #14
Fimbrethil

Sorry I've been way busy. I'll do them now. But you know other people can claim their chapters and post them...we just won't be able to argue on them till the person before them posts.

Chap. 1: At the Dursely's. Harry whines some about being stuck there. We find out what it is Dudley saw.
Chap. 2: Harry ponders on what Dudley saw and wonders why his life sucks. (JKR said that this book would be the shortest summer at the Dursely's.) Someone comes (Lupin) and takes Harry to the Order.
Chap. 3: Harry is filled in and fills in his friends and maybe they try some advanced magic for the DA. Somthing with the mirrior.
Chap. 4: Harry learns somthing about his family and/or Sirius he didn't know before. Dumbldore comes and apolgives(sp?) and he and Harry are buddy buddy once more. He hear someting about Voldy Moldy.
Chap. 5: They go get their books and we find out who the new quidditch captin is (Harry most likly). We also find out Harry has made Head Boy (That is sixth year right? If not then slash that.) Enter the new and even more evil Malfoy with new and more evil mother. They somthing nasty and/or threatning and rather ominous too.

Exuent chapters 1 through 5.

What do you think?

Old 06-07-2004, 10:27 PM   #15
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Wonderful! And now....the questions!

What Dudley saw where?

Fills and is filled in about what?

What do they do with the mirror? (that's the two way mirror Sirius gave HP?)

What does Dumbledore apologize about? He already apologized about not telling Harry the prophecy...do you mean something new?

So Ron is not head boy anymore?

If I asked something obvious or dumb, excuse me...I have many many other things on my mind, and sometimes these HP details escape me. This is fun, it brings out the writer in me!
Old 06-08-2004, 08:19 AM   #16
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

This is 6th year, but no one in 6th year is Head Boy, that's 7th year. They are prefects in 6th year, and Harry couldn't be a prefect, without Ron being kicked off. But I do think that he will be Quidditch Cap'n.
Also, I think that in your Ch. 4, Harry will be finding everything out about Lord Moldy Shorts.
And yes, there will be a new, evil Draco, who will fight Harry because Harry stuck Lucius in jail. (Go Harry!) Hopefully, he will use magic and get expelled. That would be nice, but I don't think it would happen.
And those are my comments. Anyone else?
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 06-08-2004, 09:03 AM   #17
parker1cincy
Sapling

I think that instead of Harry being Quidditch captain Ron should be. Because that's his dream. What do you think?
parker1cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #18
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh, yeah, prefect!

Ron's not good enough to be captain....
Old 06-08-2004, 01:42 PM   #19
parker1cincy
Sapling

Ron was good at the end of book five and won.
parker1cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #20
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

But this would just be his second year! Making a great play is wonderful, but Captain needs experience!