Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2003, 10:33 PM   #1
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ma Uai: Ua Nemti

Right now I'm working on a story. I've got the ending down but its the begining and middle I always have trouble with.
I know how that goes! Though I usually have a series of scenes/moments during the story in my head, and little if any idea of how to connect them. With my latest project, I'm doing an outline, so I have a basic idea of where things are in the story before I begin trying to write.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:16 AM   #2
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

That is a very good thing, Silverstripe. The outline is basically stage 2 of my plot organization. I take things one step further than that, but it is possible to go that far and launch forward. It's actually possible to go forward with no previous plotting, but that's a LOT more risky.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 04:41 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I have no intentions of getting published. I'm terrible at writing. Which was only to be expected since I only started putting things to paper last august and since I have a loooong history of bad essays and being told quite plainly that I have no writing skill whatsoever. Meh, I'm trying anyway.

I've got quite a few stories in my head, some quite extensive and detailed. But putting them on paper is much more difficult than I expected. I keep editing and editing the tiny part I have on paper. I just don't get it perfect.

The most likely future for my scribblings is to end up among the junk in the attic and stay there. Then a decade or two later some hypothecially kid digs them up, wipes the dust away, sits down, starts to read and laughs. And then runs downstairs yelling 'Hey mum! Is this yours?' I'd like that.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:21 AM   #4
Fingolfinrox
Sapling

Writting! I've made a few short stories, and my freinds said they were good. The thing is, whenever I try to write a novel I stop somewhere around page sixty. Oh well, someday...
Good Luck to everyone else who tries!

"To pursue the unattainable is insanity, yet the thoughtless can never refrain from doing so." - To Himself, by Marcus Aurelius.
Fingolfinrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 07:30 AM   #5
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Hmm... A while ago I really wanted to be a writer, and I actually got words of encouragement from my (then) favourite author, Robin Hobb. However, I sort of lost interest, and now I would like to write, but only as a hobby.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:56 AM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I have no intentions of getting published. I'm terrible at writing. Which was only to be expected since I only started putting things to paper last august and since I have a loooong history of bad essays and being told quite plainly that I have no writing skill whatsoever. Meh, I'm trying anyway.
And Einstein was told that he'd never amount to anything. Don't let it get you down.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:18 AM   #7
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I'd love to be published because then I can justify spending my time writing as a bit more than a hobby. I'm not so much of a writing purist that I don't want to make money out of it
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 04-24-2003 at 10:20 AM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:22 PM   #8
elvendrummer87
Enting

wouldn't it be cool if entmoot published an anthology of mooters' works/ that'd be awesome! there's probably some catch or whatever, not to mention money, but if we could that'd be killer.
elvendrummer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:26 PM   #9
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

My problem is that I don't like action. This friend of my mother (he knows much about the business) told me that nowadays most production firms (screen-play) want action-movies. Damn, I won't be able to write action.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:29 PM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Lalaith, that's only if you're working with the big studios that have the money to make action films. Most of those are pretty top-down - i.e. the producer defines what the project should be about, and you write your screenplay around it. Freelance screenwriting is a completely different issue. I recommend entering competitions, and talking to independent low-budget filmmakers who have more creative freedom (but less money with which to express it). These films won't find general release right away until they're picked up by distributors, but they will make the festival circuit.

If all else fails, go to a film school and learn how to direct your own film - that's probably the best way to ensure that you see the project you want.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 01:36 PM   #11
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I want to become a director, too, not only a screen-play writer. I can't imagine another person getting things just as I want them to be.
I would go to the film school in Vienna, but it is sooooo expensive. That's horrible. I couldn't afford one semester.
But thanks for your advice. (But finding such things in Austria is really hard)
Old 04-24-2003, 02:44 PM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
And Einstein was told that he'd never amount to anything. Don't let it get you down.
I'm no Einstein. Save me from the horrible prospects of maths! But thanks for the encouragement.

I decided to ignore the endless list of bad essays and comments about my yes or no writing skills. That was years ago, this is now. That's why I started writing for myself a few months ago. To see if I could. And after all I may not have a talent for writing but that doesn't mean I can't learn the skill. Practise is the key to mastery, they say. And writing is oddly enjoyable to do. Though I'm still terrible at it (and probably always will be), at least I'm having a good time.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:53 PM   #13
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

A little off-topic I know:
Einstein wasn't even good as a student.
(I'm always wondering how english speaking persons pronounce Einstein)
Old 04-24-2003, 03:14 PM   #14
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

From what I know, it's commonly pronounced "ain-stain". "Ai" being like in Dunedain.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:27 PM   #15
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
*embarrassed laugh* Well I kinda want to be a reporter or journalist for a paper but I want to have a book published of short stories

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 06:20 PM   #16
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Aralyn, it's a good idea to start writing stuff for papers now, then. I had a piece or two published in my local paper when I was still in high school (not counting Letters to the Editor), and I was also a volunteer staff writer for my university paper earlier this year. It's a great way to get started. In fact, I'm thinking of applying for a newspaper-related job this summer, maybe.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 06:37 PM   #17
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Writing for a newspaper is fun! Just be prepared to do it for free! (at first) It's sort of like establishing credit. You have to get that first piece published, then you can use that to help you get the next...and so forth. Writing on Entmoot is great exercise, that's why I like to see people use good spelling, grammer etc. Painting with words is almost as fun as painting with paints! I never had to go to the office, except to get my picture taken. It was all done by email. Find a small paper and send them something that might be of interest.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:33 PM   #18
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Aralyn, it's a good idea to start writing stuff for papers now . . .
I'm the reporter for my school's newspaper so I get some experience there, Iron Parrot. If you get something published tell us!!
Thanks Lizra for the advice.

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting

Last edited by Aralyn : 04-24-2003 at 11:35 PM.
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:20 AM   #19
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I'm no Einstein. Save me from the horrible prospects of maths! But thanks for the encouragement.

I decided to ignore the endless list of bad essays and comments about my yes or no writing skills. That was years ago, this is now. That's why I started writing for myself a few months ago. To see if I could. And after all I may not have a talent for writing but that doesn't mean I can't learn the skill. Practise is the key to mastery, they say. And writing is oddly enjoyable to do. Though I'm still terrible at it (and probably always will be), at least I'm having a good time.
Eärniel, you are NOT a terrible writer! Not in the RPG forum, anyway .

Practice is definitely a key. Practice is a key to anything, as everyone knows . Practice and reading are two of the primary keys to writing. Focusing upon your writing skill and trying to improve can be important too, as I learned not long ago from Tessar. His practice combined with focus produced astounding results in the improvement of his writing skill. I don't know if that's the same for everyone, of course.

But anyway, you are definitely not a terrible writer, and I very much enjoy reading your posts .
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 04:30 AM   #20
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I have. Yeah, I know. Like I can be an author.
But all I do is write stories, during class, in bed, got a Word Document open right now in fromt of me.
My stories are mostly Fantasy, I've tried mythology but it dosn't work for me.
Tales about life, about a 16-year-old girl and teenage trauma's.

Well, It's a dream.
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote