Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2003, 10:25 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Your writing ambitions

Is anyone here writing with the ambition of getting published someday? If so, what sort of works are you thinking of?

Myself, I have a full-length novel in the works, though it's moving along very slowly and is at a bit of a standstill right now. I do intend to submit like crazy in the future, though.

Screenwriting is actually the medium I prefer, but I'm not working on any screenplays right now.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:49 PM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I hope to make my living writing. Though of course I don't know how that'll turn out.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:24 PM   #3
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I plan to write in my spare time (ie: not depend on writing as my source of income) and if it gets published, hey that's great, if not, I'll still love it. I do hope though to publish a bunch of poetry that I've written (maybe into a book), and maybe some essays, etc. I do not have the gift of writing fiction, but I can comment on just about anything. And I write poems.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:55 PM   #4
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

I write mostly just for fun. As a hobby. Sure it would be great if something got published but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if they didn't.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:10 AM   #5
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

my goal is to one day be published. Aside from that, I've got a good eye for editing, proof-reading, and other such nit-picky things, that I think it would be fun to work for a publishing company.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 03:04 PM   #6
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

I want to get my books published, but I haven't started writing them yet. I'm only 13, and would like to finish Middle/High School before I start writing. My writing would be better that way. But I have all my ideas written down for the story.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:55 PM   #7
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

I'd love to be published one day, I had one publication deal in the works but it fell through *cries*
I'm working on something at the moment, a fantasy story based around my real life experiences with my friends in London- its basically about the bohemian lifestyle we live but with touches off egyptian mythology thrown in- but nuff said, I don't want to give my plot away. I've written short stories before and a very long LOTR fan fic- you can ask Elvedans about that, it made her cry at the end! Mx
Old 04-22-2003, 04:57 PM   #8
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

I only write as a hobby..........no real ambition to make it a career

I have been toying with self-publishing some of my finished work on the internet...........maybe after the lump of this years Uni work is out of the way...

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:37 PM   #9
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I wrote a monthly garden column for our local paper for two years. I enjoyed it, but felt like I had said everything I wanted to say, and quit last fall. I don't like to read stuff that isn't coming from the heart, if you know what I mean. Maybe I'll start a non fiction thread and put one of columns up for the gardeners! Let me see what the last two April ones wear like....or is this only for fiction?
Old 04-22-2003, 05:44 PM   #10
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

speaking for myself, I'd love to read your gardening columns! -- maybe a non-fiction thread in this forum? or, you can just pm them to me...
Old 04-22-2003, 05:47 PM   #11
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Heh! You're sweet! Thanks!
Old 04-22-2003, 06:18 PM   #12
elvendrummer87
Enting

i'd love to make a living writing; 'course i've also wanted to be an elf or a knight since i was eight.......
elvendrummer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:28 PM   #13
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I'd love to read something from someone off the 'moot, that was published. I'd deffently buy a copy and try to promote you (to my friends)!!!

I'm an okay writer, people are sometimes surprised that I write like I do, because I seem to be able to pute my thoughts into writing better then trying to tell someone verbally. I don't think that my storys will ever be published, although I would love them to be, but I don't expect that to happen.

That sounds bad. My head hurts. Bed time. (I write better then that usually).

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:55 PM   #14
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Published, you say? On my way...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:44 PM   #15
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

I don't want to write for a living -I already chose Biology as my career- but yes, I would love to be published someday.

I'm sort of afraid of sending my novel to an editor when I finish it, though. Is's not rejection what scares me; I know that happens all the time. But what if they say "We'll publish it, if you change this and this and this"?

One thing is if they find plot holes or something of the like, but I've heard some editors tell the authors to change stories in order to make them easier to sell. I don't want to do that to my babies.
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:48 PM   #16
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Screen-plays.

I want to write screen-plays. Actually I have written one and it is now waiting to be sent to a publisher.
Maybe my poems will be good enough one day to be published (but they are all so "dark" and very personal, I don't know if I want them to be published)
Old 04-23-2003, 05:29 PM   #17
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

I'm a lousy writer, but I try anyway. I'd love to get published some day and become a professional writer, what a life that'd be.

Right now I'm working on a story. I've got the ending down but its the begining and middle I always have trouble with.

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 06:19 PM   #18
elvendrummer87
Enting

ugh, i know what you mean; i always get the coolest battle/action scenes in my head, write them down, and then can't figure out how to build up to them!
elvendrummer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:36 PM   #19
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

I have no real intention of getting published, I just couldn't apply myself to that.
I want to be a computer software designer when I grow up. Maybe web designer. Although I enjoy writing a great deal, I'll probably only be writing code for the rest of my life.
I also don't consider myself good enough to write seriously. Then again, I'm pretty young, and my writing style might change.
I just don't want to end up writing books that no one likes, or books for "young teens struggling with adolescense and depression". (I think teenagers who say they have depression just do it for attention or really don't know what depression is, but that's my opinion.)

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 08:42 PM   #20
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

As a current website designer AND software engineering student, let me tell you this: it shouldn't stop you from writing.

Just so you know, I've done websites for pay over three or four summers now, and it gets old really fast... I'm expanding into doing more graphics art and animation, which is a constantly evolving field.

Trust me, by the time you're my age (that makes me sound old, which I'm not), the computer landscape is going to be very different. Writing, on the other hand, will always be there. So keep it in mind, and remember, there's nothing wrong with doing several different things at once.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote