Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-20-2002, 11:59 AM   #61
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverstripe
Actually, I think that I did find something after deciding what time period the creature had to live in England during: wild boars. They were rather frightening creatures by all accounts.
They still are! (A family of wild boars were re-introduced to the wild in a forest in NE England a couple of years ago)..........massive things they are...........can move pretty fast too......I certainly woudn't tackle one for the sake of a bacon sandwich

Yep, we had the brown bear, wolves, wildcats (which still populate Scotland and Northumbria, not massive or anything, can grow up to 3 feet long tho, I certainly wouldn't want to bump into one by accident)and the fox. I suppose the deadliest creature in England at the mo' is the Adder. (our only poisonus snake).

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:01 PM   #62
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Thank you, Miranda and Coney!
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:38 AM   #63
katya
Elven Maiden

hehehe no school for me today so i get to work on my story and finishs the rough draft! yay! too bad it sucks on purpose....but probably not that bad because i am really critical of myself. Anyway...wild boars are scary. The other night i had a dream about getting attacked by one.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 11:31 AM   #64
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by katya
hehehe no school for me today so i get to work on my story and finishs the rough draft! yay! too bad it sucks on purpose....but probably not that bad because i am really critical of myself. Anyway...wild boars are scary. The other night i had a dream about getting attacked by one.
Yay Katya!

*shudders* Scary dream. If I get attacked in a dream, it's always a human or a "monster" or a Ringwraith. For some reason a wolf, bear, or mountain lion (or other large predator) is always friendly!
Old 11-21-2002, 12:42 PM   #65
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

I'm good at writing essays. I really like writing fiction but its hard for me to really write a story, not one of those stupid things we write for school...Grr.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:43 PM   #66
katya
Elven Maiden

thanks Silverstripe. Actually I get attacked by animals quite a bit. Once there was this freaky squirrel werewolf thing....yeah but this isn't the right thread for this, is it?...

So anyway, Ok this is a problem for me. Whenever I read a book I really like, I want to write a story along the same lines. I have numerous examples. LotR included. Does everyone else do this too, or am I just prone to plagerism? (sp?)
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:55 PM   #67
Silverstripe

Quote:
thanks Silverstripe. Actually I get attacked by animals quite a bit. Once there was this freaky squirrel werewolf thing....yeah but this isn't the right thread for this, is it?...

So anyway, Ok this is a problem for me. Whenever I read a book I really like, I want to write a story along the same lines. I have numerous examples. LotR included. Does everyone else do this too, or am I just prone to plagerism? (sp?)
I think everyone does it. You can either try to ignore it or do a blending of the story lines until the story is unique, and your own.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:21 PM   #68
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Finished my first dramatic death scene in my story today (off school with flu so dedicated my time to watching LOTR and writing.) Got really teary as its a bad guys victory and it actually got fairly evil- I didn't want to write a torture scene but it happened! Keep finding inspiration in the strangest places- was searching the fridge for food the other night and decided that I wanted night time to be really could in the world I'm writing about and it provoked a new level of suffering for my exiled rebels. Anyway will keep you posted on future developments Much love Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 03:32 PM   #69
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
I think this is how most people get into writing in the first place. It certainly was for me when, years ago, I started writing Star Wars fan-fiction (ok not technically a book).

It takes a lot of work to create new worlds, races. cultures etc and using an exising world is far easier than starting everything from scratch (tabletop role-players do it all the time).

As for plagarism...........hmm tricky one, especially if you ever hope to make money from your writing it could become a legal problem but if you just write for fun then don't see why anyone shouldn't use others ideas.

As Silverstripe said, eventually your stories will take on their own shape and character anyway, I know mine do, if only they would give a clue as to what shape and character they want to be

2 by 2 anyone?

Beatallica
Old 11-21-2002, 05:44 PM   #70
Miranda

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
I think this is how most people get into writing in the first place. It certainly was for me when, years ago, I started writing Star Wars fan-fiction (ok not technically a book).

It takes a lot of work to create new worlds, races. cultures etc and using an exising world is far easier than starting everything from scratch (tabletop role-players do it all the time).

As for plagarism...........hmm tricky one, especially if you ever hope to make money from your writing it could become a legal problem but if you just write for fun then don't see why anyone shouldn't use others ideas.

As Silverstripe said, eventually your stories will take on their own shape and character anyway, I know mine do, if only they would give a clue as to what shape and character they want to be

2 by 2 anyone?

In a way I believe that using some elses work- without the intention of profiting etc from it- is a form of flattery and shows how much you enjoyed their work and want to continue it in your own way. Like you I began with a SW fan fic but I was very young at the time and couldn't get very far because my writing wasn't sophisticated enough. When I saw LOTR at the cinema I was chatting to my mate afterwards and I just quickly made up this little scenario of two girls who go to ME and join the Fellowship. I thought it was really silly at the time but the thought kept nagging me and I wrote the story for my best friend (as she was the inspiration for one of my characters) next thing you know I've been working on a LOTR fan fic for a year and I love it to bits- I'll never publish it as its really personal and I only share it with a few close friends but through it I realised I had the talent to write and started my own story with no relationship to Tokien's work and I'm now a much more confident author. Mx
Old 11-21-2002, 09:13 PM   #71
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

I am guilty of this condition. so sue me. I often don't have anything planned for my story so I tend to take the better part of the night trying to think up the plot.

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 09:26 PM   #72
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
I am guilty of this condition. so sue me. I often don't have anything planned for my story so I tend to take the better part of the night trying to think up the plot.
No need to sue.........we're all guilty of it, that's why Silverstripe opened the Writewight thread

Miranda: Yes I also think that "plagarism" is a form of flattery.......most sci-fi/ fantasy authors (at least those who publish interviews etc) seem to feel the same ......as long as the fan-fic is non profitable of course

Beatallica
Old 11-22-2002, 01:06 PM   #73
Silverstripe

I think there are a lot of people who write because they loved an author, a novel, or several novels, and they want to be able to perhaps give readers a little of the joy they (author) themselves felt when reading.

Others, like me, just have a story to tell, which nags until it is written.

How many people write not precisely because they want to (although they do), but because they couldn't live without writing? I know I'm like that, myself.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:27 PM   #74
Miranda

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverstripe
I think there are a lot of people who write because they loved an author, a novel, or several novels, and they want to be able to perhaps give readers a little of the joy they (author) themselves felt when reading.

Others, like me, just have a story to tell, which nags until it is written.

How many people write not precisely because they want to (although they do), but because they couldn't live without writing? I know I'm like that, myself.
I know I couldn't live without my writing. I think in a way I use it as an escaoe from the real world. When I read any of my Tolkien books, or indeed any book I love I find writing about it can take me into that world and I can manipulate it to suit me. When I worte my LOTR fan fic it was that situation. My mate and I just thought up a silly story but I thought hey, I can make that happen so I did. Miranda became a character in the Fellowship and she could live the life I wanted. Its a way of going somewhere we could never really go and I think that's what inspires most writers. Mx
Old 11-22-2002, 03:43 PM   #75
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by Miranda
I know I couldn't live without my writing. I think in a way I use it as an escaoe from the real world.
Me too!! *Giggles* I'm happy today, look at what I am! Yay!
Old 11-22-2002, 05:02 PM   #76
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I'm afraid the writing of my book will have to be put off for an indertermit (?) amount of time. ::sigh::
Old 11-23-2002, 01:05 PM   #77
Silverstripe

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I'm afraid the writing of my book will have to be put off for an indertermit (?) amount of time. ::sigh::
What happened?
Old 11-23-2002, 06:30 PM   #78
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
My poem, "The Night" is getting published!!! And it's a simi-finalist in a contest! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEE
Fred Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 06:34 PM   #79
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Baggins
My poem, "The Night" is getting published!!! And it's a simi-finalist in a contest! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEE
Go for it Fred!!

That's brilliant news

When/where can read "The Night" then?

All those thumpings with the 2 by 4 paid off!!!

Beatallica
Old 11-23-2002, 08:24 PM   #80
Silverstripe

YAY FRED!

*tries to give Fred a lifetime supply of mushrooms; mushrooms flood city and thousands of innocent people begin to suffer from Writewrath!*

Fred? Where'd she go?
*has to dig Fred out from under mushrooms*
Oh well, it's the thought that counts ... er, right? *bangs head with 2 by 2*