Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2002, 09:31 PM   #41
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Wow Starr, good quote

Have you ever read a book called Sophie's World?..........it explores (in both literary and factual form) many of the the ideas you have included in your extract.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 09:55 PM   #42
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
No, I haven't. I'll have to though, and make sure my story isn't too close to hers (I don't think it will be though). There is no time travel in my story. Well...no, there isn't.

The writing and some plot developement is going VERY slowly. For once in my life I'm having trouble with a beginning, but I know much of the middle. I usually have a head full of beginnings, but never get around to finishing them off and turning them into stories. I've written little excerpts from the middle of the book, and tried to write the beginning several times. I'm getting impatient.

::chants softly to herself:: It took Tolkien 12 years to write LOTR...12....

Last edited by Starr Polish : 11-18-2002 at 09:59 PM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 11:08 PM   #43
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
Congrats, Miranda!
Yeah, I'm a writewraith, and very proud of it too.
How many of you guys get totally freaked out by what you write cometimes? I wrote a short vignette earlier today. It's from the point of veiw of a serial killer, and it's really disturbing. My whole creative writing group said it was disturbing, so fortunately it's not just me. The whole thing scared me, even. It scares me what I come up with.

I'm real good at starting and planning the plots for stories, but then homework steals my time so I have a hard time finishing them. Also, I keep getting random new ideas!
Oh, yes! Once I started out with a main character who was supposed to be good, but then she decided that she'd rather be the villain (really, it did seem like she just sort of jumped into the role without my help!) and so much of the story wound up being written from a villain's point of view ... and she WAS a killer, too.

Yes. *chants* "Ban homework! Ban homework!"
And give everyone some mushrooms, some coffee, and a 2 by 2... *bangs head on 2 by 2 over and over and over*
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:53 AM   #44
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I wrote a short story back in the ninth grade that was a sort of satire on the classic film-noir detective story along the lines of Hammett or Chandler, involving a clash between a down-on-his-money guy trying to make his way in the private eye business, and his rival - not a villain, but an ace detective who seems to take all the business. It was a piece about archetypes.

I'm talking about this because ever since, it's been my ambition to turn the concept into a full-length novel. After several attempts to do so, involving sitting down and typing late into the night, and every time scrapping the thing entirely and never getting past maybe twenty pages at best, I finally made a stab at it that I think is a keeper. Trick is, it's only the first chapter, and I did it back in September... I want to get back to work on it but circumstances keep getting in the way. Oh well.

You see, it's especially tricky to do a satire of archetypes because originality then becomes an issue... and in writing, unoriginal ideas aren't ideas at all.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 06:50 AM   #45
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverstripe
Go Miranda!
You win the first Writewraith Award!
(I don't know what it is ... but you won it)
What is the story about? Genre?
Its fantasy (that's all I can write) about a young heiress to a female chauvanistic society who joins a rebellion against the evil empress to stop her brother being sold into slavery. She's called Eliya (the Irish equivilant of my real name- which isn't Miranda!) and is probably in her early twenties. She's the twin sister of Treyune Onsaro (the borther she wants to save.) and cousin to the empress Chanema (the e has an accent to make the pronunciation better.) She's nearly married off to an evil lord Jarelen but escapes to the rebel stronghold with the help of the Lord of the Dragons, Descaminord and her lover, Kaybanarn- the exiled prince of the original royal family (Chanema took the city by force in her younger years) I see Chanema as sort of a Boudicca type figure- a real man beast of a woman. The stories pretty good fun- Descaminord (the talking dragon- he had to it was too boring without him talking) is a formidable warrior but also our comic relief. He's sort of your Eddie Murphy Moushu in Mulan mixed with Smirkinorf from Knightmare. Big and bad but fun too!!!! We'll see how it goes. Thanks for everyone's support and the mushrooms!!!!! Much appreciated. Love ya all Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:18 AM   #46
Silverstripe

Okay. Thank you. Now, if you get this published and I get a chance to read your book, I'll know that it's your book I'm reading!
Old 11-19-2002, 04:44 PM   #47
Miranda

Hey I'll PM you all the details and my pen name (which again isn't my real name because my real name is soooooooooooooooo stupid, prisy and boring!!!) so you'll know what to look out for when the time comes. I don't know how long this book will take but I'll keep you all posted- thanks for the support. No-one at college cares so its nice to find kindred spirits who share my love of poetry and writing. (*soppy tears of happiness*) Later Mx
Old 11-19-2002, 04:53 PM   #48
Silverstripe

Thanks! *gives Miranda HUGE bag of mushrooms* Since you're working hard on your novel, you might need these...
Old 11-19-2002, 04:55 PM   #49
Miranda

Thank you! Mx
Old 11-19-2002, 06:54 PM   #50
Silverstripe

You're welcome. Now I need to go work on my own novel. *gets a 2 by 2 and another bag of mushrooms, then trudges off to become a Writewraith again*
Old 11-19-2002, 07:38 PM   #51
katya
Elven Maiden

OK first of all congratulations Miranda!

I am working on this story right now (almost done) and it's really stupid. It's like really bad sci-fi. But I kind of did that on purpose jsut because it's so not my genre I thought it would be interesting. It's not that bad I guess but I've written better. Ishould go work on it. Every time i try to post here I feel guilty thinking about books I should be writing!
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:30 PM   #52
Silverstripe

Is it almost like your CHARACTERS are pestering you sometimes? I know it's sometimes that way with me. When that happens I... *former Dark Lord Thallin Srevain finishes her statement* "She tells us to be quiet. Sometimes we listen. Other times, we do not. Occassionaly we take over her writing style and make her talk like US!" *evil laugh*

Silver: Um, thanks, Srev. Well, I think everybody sees what I mean (no I'm not going crazy )
Old 11-19-2002, 10:37 PM   #53
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Early finish for me tonight (2.30am)

I wanted at least 5 pages added and I managed 7............just gotta edit those now.........but that will wait until tommorow.

Miranda your plot sounds v.good.......keep at it

When your published do the writewhights a mention in the dedications?

Beatallica
Old 11-19-2002, 10:44 PM   #54
Silverstripe

*giggles* If I ever get published, I, at least, will mention my fellow Writewights (LOL, "Dedicated to the Writewraiths.") Hey! I suppose that's how we'll know that we're reading a book by "one of us..."
Old 11-20-2002, 12:19 AM   #55
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
Yea! We should all dedicate our books/fanfic to our fellow writewraiths! I know I am going to! I know what you mean Silverstripe! My charachters not only do that...but they come to life when I'm not even thinking about them...I just start acting like them! No joke!I finally figured out that sentance! Yea! wait... I think I said that last time I was here...o well. No I am going to figure out the rest of that chapter.*Grabs her dinner, supper, breakfast, second breakfast, and tea and trugdes to her notepad praying she will be able to put this on the computer soon.*

Last edited by Fred Baggins : 11-20-2002 at 12:22 AM.
Fred Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:56 AM   #56
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

4.50am..........still here...........forgot some details.........had to add them........tired........so very tired.............lol

Sheesh more addictive than heroin this writing malarky

Typical story, went to bed, an idea popped into my head, made a note of it but couldn't settle to sleep without expanding and adding it to the text proper.

Yeah the 'wights will get a mention in my book as well ........ don't expect anything soon tho'.........I've been working on it for quite a while and it's nowhere near completion yet (I only write for fun, I'd hate to have to work to a deadline, although being published would be a nice bonus).

Well anymore thoughts I have on my story will have to resolved in the dreamland............the book is asleep and soon (hopefully) shall I be.

Good luck with that chapter Fred, and enjoy the second breakfast

That's it.............sleeeeeeeeppp.

Goodnight, said Zebedee

Beatallica
Old 11-20-2002, 01:24 AM   #57
Silverstripe

Okay, now I have writer's ignorance: what large, fairly powerful animals are native to England?
Old 11-20-2002, 05:49 AM   #58
Miranda

A domestic cat! We've got bugger all when it comes to decent animals in merry old England unless you look in a zoo!!!!!! We did have wolves at one point but they bogged off long ago. We do have the occassional Beast? of somewhere which turns out to be an over sized jack russel that likes scaring people but other than that there's nothing. I will be sure to mention all my fellow writewights when I'm published (sorry wishful thinking!) if I'm published. Its nice to finnaly have people to talk to who have th esame ideals as me and it has really inspired me to continue by work when everyone else here seems to have given up on me as the mad saddo who writes all night and spends her days on the internet!!!!- EXCUSE ME! I go to dance practice too you know- Jeez some people eh? Anyway later all, Mx
Old 11-20-2002, 10:59 AM   #59
Silverstripe

Actually, I think that I did find something after deciding what time period the creature had to live in England during: wild boars. They were rather frightening creatures by all accounts.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:08 AM   #60
Miranda

YEAH THEY WERE!!! Vaguely reminisent of my history teacher on a bad day. We were a pretty scary people before the Romans came and civilised us so if you want to go back to the BCs you can use the Celts. We had big, BIG brown hair, uggd a lot, painted ourselves blue and ran naked into battle!!!!!! SCARY!!!! Luckily I'm descended from the more civilised Irish- we had red hair!!! We do have scary beasts knocking about at the moment- they're called Essex girls- Don't ask babe!!! Mx