Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-06-2004, 01:14 AM   #1
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

The Lord of the Rings Discussion, Book II, Chapter 5

The Bridge of Khazad-dûm

We open with the Fellowship facing Balin's tomb, a grim monument to the ill-fated attempt to retake Khazad-dûm for the dwarven people. As someone close to Bilbo, and a dwarf Frodo met himself, the hobbit is reminded once again of the true dangers facing himself and his companions. After some inspection, Gandalf comes across a record kept by the dwarven expedition which, though greatly damaged, details the five-year history of Balin's reign beneath the Misty Mountains. They learn that they are now standing in the Chamber of Mazarbul, which helps Gandalf to get their bearings, and also that mithril was rediscovered in the mines. Knowing the dangers involved, one wonders if the quest for mithril was the driving force behind Balin's obsession to retake Moria. May this have blinded him to what was in all likelyhood a lost cause from the start?

The text later details the death of Balin by an orc arrow and the subsequent fight to the last by the remaining dwarves beseiged within the mines of Moria. After reading Gandalf makes the comment that "the time is not come yet" for the retaking of Moria. Maybe a bit of foretelling on his part that one day a time will come?

With their direction set, the Fellowship prepares to depart when the drums begin, a rolling boom from the depths, also mentioned in the dwarven text as a signal of the coming of the orcs. They decide to face off the initial onslaught then seal the door through which they entered, leaving an exit route via a smaller door in the back of the chamber. Gandalf stuns the oncoming orcs with a blast of light for a moment, noticing a few black Uruks of Mordor in the process, but they are unable to jam the doorway and have to face off with a group of orcs who make it to the chamber. Frodo wounds the troll at the door, and the Fellowship make fairly quick work of the first few that enter, the rest quickly retreating in fear for the moment. But before exiting through the back door, an orc chieftain enters and seems to skewer Frodo with his spear. This attention to the ringbearer as well as the presence of Mordor orcs makes one wonder if Sauron may very well have some communication with the denziens of Moria.

Killing the chieftain, they make their exit with Frodo carried by Aragorn, who soon finds that the hobbit has miraculously survived the spear thrust. With no time for explanations, Gandalf tells them that he will hold the door, sealing it with some magical incantations. To his surprise he is faced by the powerful counter-spell of a being that he had "not met before". Fortunately, though draining to the wizard, the contest of magics brings the chamber down on their pursuers. Following the tunnel down, they eventually come to a large chamber before a narrow bridge that leads out of the mines. They turn back and notice that the path they had intended to follow is blocked by a flaming fissure and would have been a trap had they gone the other route.

Turning for the bridge again they hear the sound of drums and orcs approaching once more. There are trolls carrying stones to bridge the flaming fissure, but the presence which puts a touch of fear even to Gandalf's mind is a shadowy man-like form, wreathed in flame and wielding a flaming sword and whip. It's a fallen ainu out of arda's earliest days... a Balrog! Gandalf immediately assesses the futility of the entire Fellowship taking it head on and tells the rest to flee for the gate while he faces the Balrog on the bridge.

As the creature approaches, Gandalf issues his challenge: "'You cannot pass,' he said. The orcs stood still and a silence fell. 'I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!'" Most likely a reference to Gandalf's serving Eru and the Flame Imperishable, and calling upon the Balrog's ancient service to Melkor, Lord of Utumno (aka Udûn). I had not noticed before, but in this passage Tolkien capitalizes "Shadow", maybe a reference to Melkor, who he would prefer to not name directly.

The Balrog steps on the bridge before Gandalf and swings his flaming sword, but it is met and shattered by Glamdring. At this point Aragon and Boromir decide to assist, but before they can move Gandalf strikes the narrow bridge and shatters it beneath the feet of the Balrog. The creature plunges into the fissure below, but manages to tangle it's whip about the wizard's feet, dragging Gandalf along to the dismay of the Fellowship. Aragorn, realizing their leader is lost, leads them all to the gates and Dimrill Dale beyond, where the sun is shining to thwart any immediate pursuit by the orcs.

I remember reading this for the first time and paging through the rest of the book in hopes of Gandalf's return. Since "the Fellowship" was all I had at the time, I was keenly saddened by the loss of Gandalf, certainly a favorite, if not "the favorite" character of mine in the series. Luckily, there is another book.

I also wonder if Gandalf's breaking of the bridge, as opposed to pursuing a more direct confrontation with the Balrog who he seemed to be doing well against, was spurred on by the decision of Aragon and Boromir to join in the fight. Either way, certainly one of the most exciting, and tragic, chapters in the series.

Lothlórien on the way... soon.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:45 AM   #2
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

brilliant intro, brownie,
will discuss later, i only have a short lunch break!!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Brownie - He returns late, but when he returns, he does it with bravour!

Like Chrys I'll be back later with my thoughts. For now I only want to say that this chapter is for me so full of tension and foreboding of catastrophy. First the gloomy story from the book of Mazarbul, then history repeats itself and the Fellowship find themselves trapped as did the former inhabitants of Moria. Gimli and Legolas are even repeating the same words as were written in the book: "We cannot get out." and "They are coming!" And the violent drums - DOOM, DOOM! One gets the feeling that this will be the end of the Fellowship as it was for Ori & co.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:16 AM   #4
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
Knowing the dangers involved, one wonders if the quest for mithril was the driving force behind Balin's obsession to retake Moria. May this have blinded him to what was in all likelyhood a lost cause from the start?
That may have been part of the reason, but if we are to believe Glóin on what he said in the council of Elrond, Balin was also hoping to find the last of the 7 Rings in Moria.
Quote:
I also wonder if Gandalf's breaking of the bridge, as opposed to pursuing a more direct confrontation with the Balrog who he seemed to be doing well against, was spurred on by the decision of Aragon and Boromir to join in the fight.
Yes I think Gandalf was forced to do something drastic, as the others did not heed his command to fly, but remained in the hall, and Aragorn and Boromir even on the bridge. I think it is interesting to notice that it is only Aragorn and Boromir who leaps to Gandalf's defence. Not Legolas, and not Gimli. It is the Men that are revealed as the greatest fighters here, which was seen also at the fight in the Chamber of Mazarbul.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:37 AM   #5
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Well, a question would be whether the men are the greatest fighters or just the most foolhardy. Charging into danger seems to be Boromir's (in particular) forte, as will be seen later as well.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:16 AM   #6
Artanis

Yes, I agree that it was foolish of Aragorn and Boromir to think that they could have done anything to help on the bridge. It would have been better perhaps, if they had led the rest of the company into safety outside. But maybe Aragorn and Boromir didn't understand in full the true nature of the Balrog. Legolas seemed to know enough to fear it, and Gimli too.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Nice work, BJ.

Quote:
Maybe a bit of foretelling on his part that one day a time will come?
I particularly like it how in the Appendices, in the section on the War of Dwarves and Orcs, Dain refuses to enter Moria, saying "some other power must come" before Durin's Bane is defeated.

Is this an action packed chapter or what?

To pick just one bit out, what do folks think about the confrontation with (what I've always presumed must be) the balrog in the Chamber, where Gandalf had put a shutting-spell on the door? Two things intrigue me:

- Gandalf's reference to speaking a "word of Command" as a last resort to prevent the door from opening. Is this related to how the Ainur "shape the world" with words, music, etc?
- "I have nearly been destroyed". That was a pretty dramatic little confrontation then. How could Gandalf be nearly destroyed by such a duel of "magic"?

I've always wondered what the Balrog thought when it perceived Gandalf's presence.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:10 PM   #8
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
To pick just one bit out, what do folks think about the confrontation with (what I've always presumed must be) the balrog in the Chamber, where Gandalf had put a shutting-spell on the door? Two things intrigue me:

- Gandalf's reference to speaking a "word of Command" as a last resort to prevent the door from opening. Is this related to how the Ainur "shape the world" with words, music, etc?
- "I have nearly been destroyed". That was a pretty dramatic little confrontation then. How could Gandalf be nearly destroyed by such a duel of "magic"?

I've always wondered what the Balrog thought when it perceived Gandalf's presence.
me too... if you noticed i highlighted the part about gandalf saying that it was a being he had "not met before"... it's very possible that, even upon seeing him on the bridge, the balrog was not aware of who, or what, gandalf actually was either... and this may have been part of the reason behind his somewhat grand proclamations... to give pause and gain time for the others, he informed the balrog of exactly what kind of being he was facing
Old 12-11-2004, 05:09 AM   #9
Artanis

Quote:
To pick just one bit out, what do folks think about the confrontation with (what I've always presumed must be) the balrog in the Chamber, where Gandalf had put a shutting-spell on the door?
I think this is quite intriguing - what is this that make a door either stay shut or open up? Think about the great gate into Moria as well, where speaking a password was the way to open it. Gandalf says:
Quote:
From the inside you may thrust them open with your hands. From the outside nothing will move them save the spell of command. They cannot be forced inwards.
Throughout the book the notion of 'being in a spell' is often used to describe a state of mind in which one is caught into a vision (Rivendell, Tom Bombadil), which could be misinterpreted for the reality. But in our world a door is a dead thing. I wonder if it is different in Middle-Earth, where all things seem to have some kind of life, aka when Legolas claims that the stones in Eregion is speaking to him.
Quote:
I think it is interesting to notice that Gandalf is making a distinction between a mere spell and a word of command. The 'word of command' seem to be the last resort, something that should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. It is a power that Gandalf has, but power and the use of it is corrupting, something Gandalf is aware of.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:14 AM   #10
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
But before exiting through the back door, an orc chieftain enters and seems to skewer Frodo with his spear. This attention to the ringbearer as well as the presence of Mordor orcs makes one wonder if Sauron may very well have some communication with the denziens of Moria.
An interesting passage about the orc who pinned Frodo with the spear. Seemed he had an information which other orcs did not have : an order to destroy the certain halfling.
Expertly dodging the blows of Boromir and Aragorn he went straight to Frodo. Who is he? He differs from his Moria’s orcs followers as a wolf from toy dogs , who cowardly “clustered in the doorway” and “fled howling" . This warrior’s skillfulness, bravery and readiness to meet the death in order to achieve a given directive ask for respect and ,also, for an implication that he had a lot of practice on a combat field in contrary to disorganized and unskilled orcs of Moria.
According to Gandalf’s words there were some “black Uruks from Mordor”, but Sauron did not know which one out of four hobbits is a Baggins. Saruman, on the other hand, had more spies in Shire to find out a full description of the Ringbearer. I think that this officer of Isengard’s army was sent to Moria with a specific order, and very possible that the whole attack on the Fellowship was provoked and orchestrated under the guidance of few emissaries of Saruman the Wise.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:22 PM   #11
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Yet why would Saruman want Frodo dead if he could catch him with the Ring?

I know the Lothlorien chapter intro hasn't been done yet, but reading it today I realised something. Legolas says that there is a power that the evil can not break yet (or something along those lines). I wondered if this could be something along the lines of the Girdle of Melian. Galadriel gave the Fellowship lembas which was first seen when Melian gave Beleg some, so maybe Galadriel could have something along the lines of that to protect Lothlorien.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:02 PM   #12
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Yet why would Saruman want Frodo dead if he could catch him with the Ring?
He did not caught him. Did not he? Not before, not ever.
Pobably, by crippling Frodo his intentions was to slow the Fellowship down till more help arrives.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:45 AM   #13
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
I wonder if it is different in Middle-Earth, where all things seem to have some kind of life, aka when Legolas claims that the stones in Eregion is speaking to him.
Possibly, I hadn't thought of it that way. I'd always seen it the other way around: that some of the denizens of ME are attuned to perceive the fabric of the world in more profound ways.

Also, I know I keep harping on about it, but the power of words was clearly greater in those days (depending on the speaker).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
I think it is interesting to notice that Gandalf is making a distinction between a mere spell and a word of command. The 'word of command' seem to be the last resort, something that should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. It is a power that Gandalf has, but power and the use of it is corrupting, something Gandalf is aware of.
Again, I hadn't thought of that distinction. Though, why do you say it's corrupting? I don't see any evidence of that in the text.

The effort nearly broke him; perhaps it's to do with putting his Maia essence on the line to make the physical world do what he wanted.

As for the orc, 'tis probably dramatic licence, methinks. Though, having found that the halfling resisted the power of the Ring and the Morgul-knife, I can see a logic in just taking Frodo out so that the Ring could work its temptations on someone else.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:27 PM   #14
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
He did not caught him. Did not he? Not before, not ever.
Pobably, by crippling Frodo his intentions was to slow the Fellowship down till more help arrives.
No but he tried to on Amon Hen. He thought he'd be able to catch him, so why kill him?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 12-13-2004, 07:54 PM   #15
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Knowing the dangers involved, one wonders if the quest for mithril was the driving force behind Balin's obsession to retake Moria. May this have blinded him to what was in all likelyhood a lost cause from the start?
I think this is possible. Dwarves can get a bit... nuts... around treasure. Just look at Thorin leading up to the Battle of Five Armies in "The Hobbit"! However, I thought Balin was wiser than that, and he was also in a less awkward position. I mean, he had loads of time to rationally think out a plan to retake Moria.

Quote:
Maybe a bit of foretelling on his part that one day a time will come?
That's going on the list of sequels I wish Tolkien had written to LOTR. Maybe Gandalf was implying two things: that Moria could be retaken after Sauron's defeat (taking the wind out of the orcs sails), and that he would take out the Balrog (which wouldn't necessarily leave if Sauron was defeated). The second has implications of its own.

Quote:
To his surprise he is faced by the powerful counter-spell of a being that he had "not met before".
I always take this line to mean the Balrog. If Gandalf had not met a Balrog before, then that would explain it. If he had, maybe this is Gothmog? Would the Lord of the Balrogs seem magically different?

Quote:
I had not noticed before, but in this passage Tolkien capitalizes "Shadow", maybe a reference to Melkor, who he would prefer to not name directly.
What if "Shadow" referred to the Void? Since Melkor is banished there I guess it means the same thing anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
Well, a question would be whether the men are the greatest fighters or just the most foolhardy. Charging into danger seems to be Boromir's (in particular) forte, as will be seen later as well.
I think it's rather loyalty and love that keeps them there, rather than foolhardiness. They are warriors, they are willing to lay down their lives to lend even a small assistance to their friend. Now, Aragorn and Gandalf were quite close. I think Boromir's willingness to sacrifice himself for the Quest spoke to what a true-hearted and noble person he was. He truly wanted the Quest to succeed. We can't get too hung up on his little slip-up later.

Quote:
I also wonder if Gandalf's breaking of the bridge, as opposed to pursuing a more direct confrontation with the Balrog who he seemed to be doing well against, was spurred on by the decision of Aragon and Boromir to join in the fight. Either way, certainly one of the most exciting, and tragic, chapters in the series.
I agree. It really is brilliant!!

I know we're not supposed to go too much into events after the chapter, but consider this chain of events.

Pippin throws stone into well - hears odd tapping - gets in trouble by Gandalf for disturbing things that ought not to be disturbed - orc army finds them in the chamber of Mazarbul, pusuit ensues - Gandalf battles Balrog, and falls.

Now, we all know now that Gandalf does come back as Gandalf the White. So my question is, do you think Pippin was "meant" to be the catalyst of Gandalf's transformation?
Gandalf included him in the Fellowship, hinting that everyone has a role to play, and it's not always obvious what. He gets into that later with Frodo about Gollum as well. He also seemed resigned to going through Moria even before the storms hit them on Caradhras, as if he knew what would happen. Did he also know Pippin's role? It's also possible they never would have pulled off sneaking through Moria with all those orcs anyway, and Pippin was in fact, not the catalyst.

What do you think?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:38 AM   #16
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Pippin throws stone into well - hears odd tapping - gets in trouble by Gandalf for disturbing things that ought not to be disturbed - orc army finds them in the chamber of Mazarbul, pusuit ensues - Gandalf battles Balrog, and falls.

Now, we all know now that Gandalf does come back as Gandalf the White. So my question is, do you think Pippin was "meant" to be the catalyst of Gandalf's transformation?
Gandalf included him in the Fellowship, hinting that everyone has a role to play, and it's not always obvious what. He gets into that later with Frodo about Gollum as well. He also seemed resigned to going through Moria even before the storms hit them on Caradhras, as if he knew what would happen. Did he also know Pippin's role? It's also possible they never would have pulled off sneaking through Moria with all those orcs anyway, and Pippin was in fact, not the catalyst.
I think you are right in that Pippin was a catalyst, but if he hadn't played that role, someone or something else would. Pip does have a role to play of course, just consider Parth Galen, where he and Merry provide an opportunity for Boromir to redeem himself, and the palantir, and the pyre of Denethor, and at last the troll, and perhaps more that does not pop up in my mind right now. But I don't think everything is cut into stone here. Gandalf knew that this was to be his last quest, this was the very reason why he was sent to Middle-Earth. I think he suspected that some sort of trial or test was awaiting him in Moria, but did not know the nature of it. Consider his words when the Balrog appears:
Quote:
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. `Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. `What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
But did he truly understand at that moment? I don't think so, I don't think he could foretell his return. We may, in retrospect, understand better. Saruman was the most powerful of the Istari and was supposed to be the greatest of Sauron's opponents, but he had fallen. There was a dire need for someone to take his place. In other words, Gandalf needed to be enhanced, to gain more power, but that could only happen through a great sacrifice and suffering on his part.

Edit: Gaffer, I will answer your question, but right now I'm short of time.

Last edited by Artanis : 12-14-2004 at 04:11 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:55 AM   #17
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
That's going on the list of sequels I wish Tolkien had written to LOTR. Maybe Gandalf was implying two things: that Moria could be retaken after Sauron's defeat (taking the wind out of the orcs sails), and that he would take out the Balrog (which wouldn't necessarily leave if Sauron was defeated). The second has implications of its own.
i don't have the appendixes on hand, but i thought there was some notation within about the retaking of at least part of moria in the fourth age... will have to check
Old 12-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #18
Telcontar_Dunedain

They did in the fourth age. It was the last dwarf to be called Durin who led them.

Old 12-15-2004, 01:45 AM   #19
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

This is my very favorite chapter. BJ, I was envious when you got this one before I knew it, but you wrote it better than I think I could.

This chapter contains two of my favorite parts. One, after Frodo is pinned by the orc cheiftan, and Aragorn picks him up, then nearly collapses in surprise when Frodo speaks to him. Second, on a much more solemn and abstract note, the conflict between Gandalf and the Balrog as utter opposites.

Quote:
With no time for explanations, Gandalf tells them that he will hold the door, sealing it with some magical incantations. To his surprise he is faced by the powerful counter-spell of a being that he had "not met before". Fortunately, though draining to the wizard, the contest of magics brings the chamber down on their pursuers. Following the tunnel down, they eventually come to a large chamber before a narrow bridge that leads out of the mines. They turn back and notice that the path they had intended to follow is blocked by a flaming fissure and would have been a trap had they gone the other route.

Turning for the bridge again they hear the sound of drums and orcs approaching once more. There are trolls carrying stones to bridge the flaming fissure, but the presence which puts a touch of fear even to Gandalf's mind is a shadowy man-like form, wreathed in flame and wielding a flaming sword and whip. It's a fallen ainu out of arda's earliest days... a Balrog! Gandalf immediately assesses the futility of the entire Fellowship taking it head on and tells the rest to flee for the gate while he faces the Balrog on the bridge.

As the creature approaches, Gandalf issues his challenge: "'You cannot pass,' he said. The orcs stood still and a silence fell. 'I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!'" Most likely a reference to Gandalf's serving Eru and the Flame Imperishable, and calling upon the Balrog's ancient service to Melkor, Lord of Utumno (aka Udûn). I had not noticed before, but in this passage Tolkien capitalizes "Shadow", maybe a reference to Melkor, who he would prefer to not name directly.

The Balrog steps on the bridge before Gandalf and swings his flaming sword, but it is met and shattered by Glamdring. At this point Aragon and Boromir decide to assist, but before they can move Gandalf strikes the narrow bridge and shatters it beneath the feet of the Balrog. The creature plunges into the fissure below, but manages to tangle it's whip about the wizard's feet, dragging Gandalf along to the dismay of the Fellowship. Aragorn, realizing their leader is lost, leads them all to the gates and Dimrill Dale beyond, where the sun is shining to thwart any immediate pursuit by the orcs. ...

...I also wonder if Gandalf's breaking of the bridge, as opposed to pursuing a more direct confrontation with the Balrog who he seemed to be doing well against, was spurred on by the decision of Aragon and Boromir to join in the fight. Either way, certainly one of the most exciting, and tragic, chapters in the series.
I was a bit surprized when you suggested that Gandalf "seemed to be doing well against" the Balrog, probably because I have spent so much time marveling at their equality and reading into it, oblivious to any other point of view.

Way back in Balin's death chamber, Gandalf kind of knows about the Balrog: He wonders why there is a shadow that his staff-light cannot peirce behind the orcs outside, and later clarifies that "[he] felt its presence through the door". Then it commands silence from the attacking orcs, ang Gandalf reacts fittingly, hollering "Do as I say! Swords are of no more use here. Go!" Right away, he commands the same silence and obedience from his followers. Equal.
Then the concentrate their spells on the door, and actually blow up the damn room between their forces. Gandalf goes flying, Balrog is crushed, and both are extremely drained. Equal.
Finally they both display their full Power in the most recognized and glorious manner on the bridge. They stand gazing at each other, for at least a moment motionless, and Gandalf defies the Balrog's advancement, "[drawing] himself up to his full height" and slamming down his staff, raising up his sword, despite his weariness, mirroring the Balrog's same action, spreading its shadow/wings from wall to wall. They fall together. Equal.

SPOILER: And the outcome is Gandalf's success, but only many, many, depressed chapters later, and only because good triumphs over evil as a general rule. The other wizards recognized the intensity of this fight immediately and upgraded him from grey to a modestly impressive white.

I feel like I seem to be rambling or arrogant. I'm trying not to sound like this is definately the only right opinion on the peice, but it's so artistic and I love it so much. I'm excited, but I'm also excited about hearing other people's points of view.?

To answer your questions directly, I think Tolkien capitalizes Shadow for the same reason I capitalize Power in this peice: to demonstrate that he means it in every fathomable definition of the word. The Balrog was described as a Presence of "Shadow" and "darkness," and Tolkien uses these frequently as synonyms for "evil." To tell the truth I never thought that he might be referring to Melkor; that's probably right, now that I look at the context of the word's use. (Gandalf: "The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow!")
On the men running out to help him, how it was them of all in the fellowship and how it affected Gandalf's action. I kind of expected that from Aragorn (he even tried to help Gandalf in Balin's chamber after being told to run away), and it's not surprising that Borimir follows. I don't think that influenced Gandalf's decision to break the bridge; I just can't see him wanting to combat it, for a bunch of reasons there. But it certainly was lucky for those guys.

Quote:

-I would love to think yes. It glorifies even more how powerful and mystic were the ways of Gandlaf. But I usually suspect something different: I see Gandalf in this chapter as the personification of "pacifist." Therefore, it seems right that he was sort of coaxing the door into staying initially, and maybe after sensing the Balrog, in almost a state of panic but still maintaining obvious authority, said " For the love of Eru, hold fast!!" or something along those lines. That's a command that Gandalf would prefer not having to squeal. I'm being serious.
-He was nearly destroyed. Because he and the Balrog are compementary but equals. Even from that first meeting, I think the Balrog, as a manifestation of Gandalf's very opposite, could have easily canceled him out completely. (Good thing their powers were concentrated on the door and not each other or I think they'd both have been dead.) Gandalf had knowledge of this thing, but as he said no prior experience with it, and plus his very job in Arda is to counteract it. Any confrontation or contest would have been all-out total war. I want to emphasize how that was Gandalf's sole mission, brought about right there on the bridge. Can a chapter be any deeper? *drops jaw*

That's my humble opinion. I'm not so opinionated on any other chapter.

Lookin' forward to Lothlorien!

Last edited by Bombadillo : 12-15-2004 at 01:49 AM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:37 PM   #20
Olmer
Elf Lord

Great observation, Bombadillo! And I totally agree with you that on the bridge met two equal powers. You can see it from Gandalf's words to Balrog that he conveyed his message as to entity equal in the Power .(I’m deriving a few sentences from our previous discussion http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...7&postcount=16 )
This is how I see the situation.
Say, you met someone who threatens you. He doesn't know you, but you know, that he is working in the same company. To buff him off you have to say some names from the top management which is familiar to both of you.
In Gandalf's case he had to translate a message to Balrog that affirm his authority and power, for authority can be a great weapon to wield and give commands based on it.
"...I am a servant of the Secret Fire"... - Istari formally swore to serve the greatest power of Creator, in other words -" ... I am a Mayar, no less powerful than you are".

Also, I would say, this is battle not only betweent two Powers, but, also between two opposite elements: fire and ice. In the description of the fight between Gandalf and the Balrog Gandalf represents the 'cold' element opposing to the “fiery” Balrog. “Glamdring gleamed, cold and white. ... Glamdring glittered white in answer.” while ”From out of the shadow, a red sword leaped flaming”
It is interesting to make a note of the “cold “ nature of the old elven arms like Sting and Glamdring, shining cold blue-white light, or Ringil and Aeglos which even having “ice” in theirs names, opposed to the arms of Melkor’s servants made with help of the “dark fire”.
You see the battle of this two elements as they clash with each other “There was a ringing clash and a stab of white fire “ overcoming the weaker one and breaking it “The Balrog fell back and its sword flew up in molten fragments

In the view of this I had to rethink my previous post about Barlog coming out because of the Ring.
Barlog, a Walaraukar, a Maia of Fire, the one of the highest in Morgoths hierarchy, had been the servant of the “flame of Udun” , just the same as Gandalf had been the servant of the “flame of Arnor”.
The Ring was made long after by Sauron, Morgoth’s subordinate with no real importance to Balrog, and so, certainly, even if he felt the pull of the Ring (since the Ring had a tendency to attract the more powerful), it would have no power over the evil one of the higher order than its maker.
I think that Barlog sensed in Moria the presence, the invasion of power as equally great as his, the presence of Gandalf . To Balrog, this element of the Creator’s cosmic power in Gandalf must shine like a beacon in darkness, and he came out after to deal with it.

Last edited by Olmer : 12-16-2004 at 12:56 AM.