Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 01:47 AM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Photography

Not sure how active this thread will be - so I'm just going to make it a general photography thread. You can talk about anything regarding photography.

However what I am particularly interested in is nighttime photography. I finally decided last week to take my camera off automatic and take some nighttime shots with my tripod. I'll see how well they turn out. I fooled with the shutter speed and apperature and all that. So I have no idea how these will come out. I hope at least a couple make interesting pictures. Does anyone have any ideas on taking nighttime shots with a tripod?

For an idea of some of my pics I've taken you can go to my AboutNewJersey.com e-cards.

Anyway - just wanted to throw that out and see if anyone knows.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-30-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

JD,

I've had my own darkroom since the early *cough cough* 80's. I'm using a DC now, have not missed all the chemicals at all. Photoshop is my friend

Some of my favorite shots are of moonlit foggy nights, shooting down forrest lanes, near interesting old houses. The blurred street lights (moving cars) is always fun, but it's more interesting to have someone stand motionless among the moving for a cool shot.

The hand-held flash is the best tool for lighting up something specific (face, someone jumping, up under a tree, ect.) during a long dark shot, the flashed subject will be illuminated and look dramatic.

Have fun!

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Photography! Wheee!

*ahem*

I don't have extensive or expensive equipment but I love making photographs. I have a small camera and a new digital one that I got for new year. The digital one has a marco function which means I can photograph small things like my painted stones or... frogs! I use the other camera for all the rest.

I like taking pictures of forrest lanes too. I also have this strange tendency to photograph rough, pittoresque stone walls. And cats, of course.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Don't know much about nighttime pics, but I really loved my photography classes. Such fun to work in the darkroom and crop pictures, print them and develop them! I always liked pictures of interesting tree branches and leaves.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
inked
Elf Lord

JD,

For some tips on astronomical photography, check out astronomy.com or
skyandtelescope.com.

Using a tripod and various timed shots you can get constellations, star trails, and occasionally a meteor trail.

Have fun.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 03-30-2005, 11:34 PM   #6
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
JD,

For some tips on astronomical photography, check out astronomy.com or
skyandtelescope.com.

Using a tripod and various timed shots you can get constellations, star trails, and occasionally a meteor trail.

Have fun.
It's odd that you should mention that because I'm looking into buying a telescope and am thinking about the future possibility of astrophotography.

Psalm 107:31
Old 03-20-2006, 08:35 AM   #7
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
but it's more interesting to have someone stand motionless among the moving for a cool shot.
Ooh, that reminds me of this one. After sunset, with a six second exposure.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:59 AM   #8
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Neither can I.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:02 AM   #9
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Seek the function and ye shall find it. And so I haveth done.

You do as JT said. Go to the folder with the pics and right click on it and a meny appears with amongst other functions a resize one.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

A couple new pics from today:

Old 05-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
Elanor's Angel
Elf Lord

Location: Hiding under my bed reading LOTR at 1:43am, Middle earth (Seattle WA)
Ooh! Penguins!!! I heart them! They are part of my army that will take over the world!

Vote Trolls' Bane/Elanor's Angel 2008!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 10:04 PM   #12
trolls' bane

Oh, those AREN'T ravens! Okay, cool! They have penguins in Cape Town?

EA, you ought to have ravens. They'd be the best ones in the army!
Old 05-26-2006, 04:46 AM   #13
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Tulips in our garden...

A house in Åhus, on the east coast of Scania

My cousin in front of an oak. Taken on my recent visit to the east coast of Scania.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 05-26-2006 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #14
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I love the oak, GW!!! Beautiful tree.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:34 AM   #15
trolls' bane

The hike with Michael and Abbey was a success! In spite of (and because of) Abbey having to leave early, Michael and I went up both sides of the trail rather than making a loop. The first time up, on the canyon leg, Abbey was with us. After dropping her off at the Living Desert parking lot, we turned back around and went up the ridge leg. Unfortunately, my camera died on the first trip back, but you can see the photographs we took have come out quite well in spite of the considerable running we had to do and the nearly constant jostling my camera underwent.

Living Desert docent Lois Cardona holding Fred the Skink in the Discovery Room.

Lois Cardona again, still in the Disco Room:

Michael and Abbey, at the trailhead for the canyon leg:

Michael and I, in front of the same sign:

Abbey asked for a lift, so Michael gave her one. I too had to later. I always thought humans were heavier, but I suppose I don’t know my own strength.

A few feet later…

In both of the following pictures, we see Michael triumphantly traversing a rock wall (yes, I’ll admit, we blazed our own trail for a short distance--there was an easier way up). And, in case you were wondering, yes, he is wearing a sportsman’s kilt (sp?). He happens to be Scottish, hence his nickname, Scotty.

A rare picture of the photographer himself on the photographer’s own camera. At this point, I am just climbing up the rock wall of a dry waterfall.

Last edited by trolls' bane : 10-03-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #16
trolls' bane

Michael and Abbey went up ahead. I took a pair of shots of them, one from a traditional stance, and one at a more unconventional angle. To take these pictures, I had to lay on my back in the sand.

These two photographs are of Abbey (obviously). She made a couple of triumphant poses. Frankly, I think she was a bit more enthusiastic about the feat than our kilt-wearing Scott, Michael.

After having to carry their gear (Abbey’s purse and hat, Michaels backpack--or rucksack as they would say in Scotland--and his hat, plus my own pack and hat) like some sort of pack mule, I gave it to each of them and then climbed up ahead of them and took this photograph, looking back down. Personally, this is one of my favorite of the whole day.

This was the last photograph for the day, but by no means the last photo opportunity, as I will describe later. You see Michael here carrying Abbey off into the distance trekking across the open desert. [Open, meaning that beyond another half mile of shrubs, lay The Living Desert’s infamous yet secret “bone yard” (it’s personal junk yard) and The Living Desert proper, or a “Quasi-Disneyland” as Bob Williams would have called it.]

After this, there were a few more photo opportunities, some of which Michael took. Among the unrecorded moments are where Abbey, attempting to get yet another ride after I dropped her out of exhaustion, jumped on Michael and fell on top of him, knocking him (and herself) down. It would have made great blackmail. Later, Michael and I went back up the mountain, on the far more scenic side, which we will show one day. And so, until next time, Brendan out!
(Yes, I will include the pictures Michael took with his camera, although he seems to favor videos over photographs, so there may not be too many.)
Old 10-03-2007, 03:41 AM   #17
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Beautiful! Very awesome, trolls' bane; I really enjoyed checking these photos out, and your little blurbs to go with them, too. By "Living Desert" you do mean Joshua Tree, right? God i love Joshua Tree so, so, so much.
That skink is bloody enormous, for a skink, by the way... Bloody effin' enormous! Nuclear Skink.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-03-2007 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:40 AM   #18
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Beautiful! Very awesome, trolls' bane; I really enjoyed checking these photos out, and your little blurbs to go with them, too. By "Living Desert" you do mean Joshua Tree, right? God i love Joshua Tree so, so, so much.
That skink is bloody enormous, for a skink, by the way... Bloody effin' enormous! Nuclear Skink.
Thank you.

No. By Living Desert I mean the wildlife and botanical park I volunteer at. (Have you forgotten? )

Haha! I think Fred's some type of Australian skink.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #19
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

By the way, Nerdy, that picture of yours of that stream looks absolutely smashing as desktop image.

Peacock Butterfly (Inachis io) faaast becoming my favourite butterfly since they're docile, accomodating and so goddamn beautiful. *happy sigh*

Comma Butterfly (Polygonia c-album) Another favourite, has an absolute hilarious, yet fitting name in Dutch

Edible frog (Rana eculenta) A very special character this, not just because of his rather unusual marbled colouring, but also because this is our Resident Garden Frog which has been seen in our garden for at least two successive years (an achievement of which we are very proud) and which even survived being dragged in by the cat.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #20
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Glad to hear that, Eärniel!

And those are some great photos, once again.. Thanks for sharing!

Here are some photos from my grandparents' summer cottage where I spent a couple of days with only myself around.. Luxury.

No electricity, no running water - peaceful.

Sunrise at 7am

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Closed Thread