Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2004, 02:35 PM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Sci fi/Fantasy books just aquired...

Friends, 'mooters, fellow posters...

...let me have your latest aquisitions...
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:49 PM   #2
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake

Hopefully I'll get to read it this time before someone steals my copy again!!!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Rediscovery of Man by Cordwainer Smith. It's a collection of short stories based on humanity in the distant future after a 'dark age'. Very good stuff. So far I've read "Scanners live in vain".
Old 02-15-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i' rereading stephen king's gunslinger stuff atm... will need something new soon though
Old 02-15-2004, 06:04 PM   #5
zinnite
Elven Warrior

'King Rat' by China Mieville, 'Jennifer Government' by Max Barry, 'Pattern Recognition' by William Gibson, and 'Titus Groan' by Mervyn Peake (the first book of the afforementioned trilogy).
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:51 PM   #6
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

just bought all six books in the sword-dancer series by jennifer roberson i love those books

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #7
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I am currently reading the second book of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice trilogy. I bought all three of them at once. Peace.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:37 PM   #8
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i'm just bying books all the time lately!
just bought yime of twins (even though i already read it) and i have war of the twins and test of twins on order

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 06:39 AM   #9
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

So far this week i've read daggerspell, darkspell and am half way through dawnspell by Katherine Kerr. Is it any wonder i don't get work done if i'm constantly reading? Plus no money. Being a student and trying to keep up a book addiction isn't easy. Though there is this great second hand bookshop just around the corner from me. It doesn't sell the little book of calm. i wonder if that means that no-one has ever tried to get rid of one once they've bought it, or they swollowed it?

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:28 AM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I recently got Morgawr, by Terry Brooks. I realize I don't have all his Shannara books, and I don't have all of Jack Whyte's books. Panic and destruction!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 01:22 PM   #11
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Today I bought Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #12
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Right now I am reading The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan. Next is Running with the Demon by Terry Brooks, The Blood of the Fold by Terry Goodkind, Immortals by RA Salvatore, then Legends II Edited by Robert Silverberg.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:45 PM   #13
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Just bought The Dragon Reborn (third book in WoT) by R. Jordan, and almost ordered Legends I (mostly for the Martin-story).
Old 04-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #14
Jabberwock
Enting

I just bought Greg Keyes's Briar King and I have to say that it is a huge disappointment. I really enjoyed Waterborn and Black God, but Im hating Briar King. It's absolutely boring and in the first 150 pages (as far as I've got so far) nothing has happened. It reminds me of a Wheel of Time book: plodding, shallow, and a waste of time (looks around expecting a mob of Jordan fans to start throwing stones).
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 12:25 AM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Ah don't worry about that. You shouldn't find any of those heathens here. The only thing you've got to worry about whether or not you're wearing pants.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:27 AM   #16
Millane
The Dude

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jabberwock
I just bought Greg Keyes's Briar King and I have to say that it is a huge disappointment. I really enjoyed Waterborn and Black God, but Im hating Briar King. It's absolutely boring and in the first 150 pages (as far as I've got so far) nothing has happened. It reminds me of a Wheel of Time book: plodding, shallow, and a waste of time (looks around expecting a mob of Jordan fans to start throwing stones).
what classifies a Jordan fan, is it holding out to the 6th book before succumbing to a less boring (and far more enjoyable book). in that case im a Jordan fan yet despite reading something around 4,500 words of WoT last year, i can barely remember anything (i have to push myself to remember some of the characters names).
Quote:
Plus no money. Being a student and trying to keep up a book addiction isn't easy. Though there is this great second hand bookshop just around the corner from me.
Second hand bookstores are the way to go, i always went to this awesome second hand bookstore (havent been for awhile now though), not because of money but because they had a better range than that cesspit of literary trash that is Dymocks, plus the bloke that runs it if great, he found my friend some rare as Hellraiser book for $120 or thereabouts and had it in a few weeks, as opposed to another friend who ordered a relatively common book ( A game of thrones) from Dymocks and got it in about two months i usually get books from melb so i dont have to go to Dymocks but sometimes its vital, i dread those times.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:58 AM   #17
Jabberwock
Enting

Darn it! I only made it to the fifth WoT book before I got bored as hell and quit. You're right, though. I can only remember four or five character's names.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:33 AM   #18
Falagar

Anyone here read Steven Erikson's The Gardens of the Moon?
Old 04-17-2004, 12:14 PM   #19
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Anyone here read Steven Erikson's The Gardens of the Moon?
No. Is it good? What's it about?
Old 04-17-2004, 12:36 PM   #20
Falagar

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey_Wolf
No. Is it good? What's it about?
Hard to explain, really...I'll just quote what it says on the back of the cover :

Quote:
Originally written on the back of the cover:
The Malazan Empire simmers with discontent, bled dry by interminable warfare, bitter infighting and bloody confrontations with the formidable Anomander Rake, lord of Moon's Spawn, and his Tiste Andii. Even the imperial legions, long inured to the bloodshed, yearn for some respite. Yet Empress Laseen's rule remains absolute, enforced by her dread Claw assassins.

For Sergeant Whiskeyjack and his squad of Bridgeburners, and for Tattersail, surviving sorceress of the Second Legion, the aftermath of the siege of Pale should have been a time to mourn the many dead. But Darujhistan, last of the Free Cities of Genabackis, yet holds out and it is to this ancient citadel that Laseen turns her predatory gaze.

However, it would appear that the Empire is not alone in this great game. Sinister, shadowbound forces are gathering as the gods themselves prepare to play their hand...
The first 100 pages or so are pure confusion (in my opinion, of course). After that it begins to get interesting, when the story moves towards Darujhistan and we get to meet a few characters inside the city.

I have a hard time trying to make up my mind about it...I'm now 445 pages into it, out of ca 730, and some passages are fun to read, others slower...