Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-14-2000, 12:14 AM   #1
Blazez

Hellos and introductions.

So, I'm sitting at home (alone), wearing a cloak (while looking to buy another one on ebay), surfing my favourite Ezboard and Lord of the Rings sites. And, I see that Ringbearer has added a bulliten board. I'm thikin': great, maybe I'll join it. Then I see that it's UBB and I'm reminded of my total disgust of their format. Thus, I search the magnificent easy board for Tolkien boards and find this one. When it includes a touch of Star Wars, what more can I ask for?

Anyways, I'm Blazez. My profile should tell you all you need to know about me. If not, ask. I frequent Project Metronome, a Pokémon board (drop by if you like). If you don't like Pokémon, please excuse the sig. It used to be LOTR related...

Hope to see you around.
Old 05-14-2000, 01:06 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: Hellos and introductions.

Welcome Blazez

I'm sure you'll love Entmoot

Just curious, why do you hate UBB? The main reason I chose ezboard over UBB was cost (UBB requiring your own server and costing $200, and ezboard being free )
Old 05-14-2000, 01:06 AM   #3
IronParrot

I'd like to welcome you on behalf of the non-admin, non-moderator segment of this board... because we usually don't get to do the first welcomes. anduin patrols the board almost 24/7, watching for these welcome threads like a hawk
Old 05-14-2000, 01:07 AM   #4
IronParrot

Dang it! I missed by one! Oh well, we'll do it next time, non-mods and non-admins...
Old 05-14-2000, 02:02 PM   #5
Blazez

Re: Whay I hat UBB.

Gee, I din't know it cost anything. Now I really wonder why everyone isn't on Ezboard.

Well, basically, I don't like their formet of replying to only the main thread, instead of just replies. To be honest, I like the Yourbbs format the best, which uses a tree directory system (Ezboard can do this too), but I should be able to adjust to Entmoot's way of doing things.
Old 05-14-2000, 04:31 PM   #6
IronParrot

I personally can't stand the tree system. I chose to use ezboard over UBB for my own board because 1) it's free, and doesn't require the use of my own server which isn't up 24h a day anyway; and 2) the "mark read" feature is way better implemented.
Old 05-14-2000, 07:13 PM   #7
The One Ring

I'll welcome you on behalf of the mod population at Entmoot, consisting these days solely of me, myself, oh, and those hobbit folks, who don't really count anyway.
Old 05-14-2000, 07:51 PM   #8
anduin

Ouch

Welcome Blazez.....I am envious of your cloak, and have often thought of making myself one. What color is yours?

And to IP and TOR....the only reason that anyone has beaten me to the "welcomes" is because I left town early Sat. morn and only now have returned. I can assure you the day of being "first" is over.
Old 05-14-2000, 10:03 PM   #9
Blazez

Re: The cloak

Well, I comissioned my mom to make it last summer and it cost about $35 bucks Canadian for fabric and clasp. I chose a basic black colth and a dark blue hood lining, which is a bit slippery. The rest is unlined. The clasp is kinda of a wind design overall fastner, which is pretty servicible as long as I stay upright. It's hardly a professional job, but went off well last Hallowe'en despite any other appropriate clothes to support it.

The eBay one is of the same design but made of crushed velvet and includes a robe. But my heart sinks as the price rises. Still, It would make a mighty fine 18th birthday present (for the 21st).

Personally, I prefer the fasions of fantasy to that of the modern world.
Old 05-14-2000, 11:15 PM   #10
bmilder

I dislike the tree system as well. (But then again, Entmoot being set in a forest, it's sort of like a tree sytem ) The problem is that you don't have easy access to every message at once, and as those tree sytems like to indent each new reply, it gets really messy, and the list of topics take too long to load.
Old 05-15-2000, 11:57 AM   #11
Eruve

HI Blazez! Nice to see another Canadian on the board. Since you said your mom sews, have you ever checked out the costume section of pattern catalogues? Mostly they're Halloween costumes, but there are also Medieval designs for plays and such. Maybe you could find a good pattern for you mom to make you something. That goes for you, too anduin. I sew so if you need advice, ask! If I lived near any of you I'd volunteer to help. (Now how's that for a safe offer!)
Old 05-15-2000, 03:26 PM   #12
anduin

Actually, I am a professional stitcher (that's what I call it....I don't care much for the term seamstress) for theatre. I would make myself one, but sewing is really the last thing I want to do in my spare time.
Old 05-15-2000, 03:32 PM   #13
Eruve

Sewing

Oh, that's cool! I hope you don't think I'm overly cheeky offering you help! I actually had no idea. I'm just into making my own clothes since I find store-bought so expensive. I've been sewing ever since I was a kid. How does one get a job like yours? Not that I want one, I'm curious. I bet you've made some interesting things!
Old 05-15-2000, 03:53 PM   #14
anduin

Re: Sewing

LOL....and I hope that I didn't sound ungrateful!

I started sewing as a kid too. I had a friend that was dating a costume shop manager at Stage One Children's Theatre here in Louisville, KY, and asked him if he could introduce me to her. The next season, they were in need of a stitcher, so I came in and applied for the job and got it. I just completed my second season with them. I absolutely love it....it is a very laid back job, the pay isn't that great, but like they say..."money can't buy happiness"!

I get to work on some very interesting costumes since it is a children's theatre. My first season we did Sir Gwain and the Green Knight and it was fun making the hugh 7 1/2 foot tall Green Knight. I have also had the opportunity to make some very fine 17th century men's waist coats.....think Amadeus.
Old 05-15-2000, 06:45 PM   #15
Blazez

Costume Patterns

I did have my cloak made from a pattern (not actually a costume one, no good cloaks in the catalogue this year, although the selection as been improved this season). There are also lots of other nice things that I'd like to have made, but finding good fabric at a godd price can be hard at the local fabric land. *sigh* The modern world moves on as I drift into the past.

Old 05-15-2000, 07:48 PM   #16
IronMongery

I wish i had one of them cloaks to make me look scary and evil.
Old 05-15-2000, 10:32 PM   #17
IronParrot

Re: .

So did I.

I'd dress as a Ringwraith for the LOTR movie lineup if I weren't so short...
Old 05-15-2000, 11:17 PM   #18
The One Ring

I was a Ringwraith for Halloween a couple of years ago, complete with my massive black cloak that shrouds my face so completely I bump into things if I'm not careful, and a (real) sword that I borrowed off my friend, who collects knives, swords, and medieval weaponry. I was quite scary-lookin', if I do say so myself, and it was very fun.
Old 05-16-2000, 12:54 AM   #19
bmilder

I was a Hobbit for Halloween in fifth grade . It wasn't a particularly elaborate costume; I wore yellow and green, put some "fur" on my feet, put on a necklace with a gold ring attached, and made Sting out of aluminum foil (no one knew who I was supposed to be )
Old 05-16-2000, 01:29 AM   #20
IronMongery

hallowedween

to most people my regular get up is a halloween costume