Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2000, 09:32 PM   #1
Gurney Halleck

EU?

I was looking around on the official Star Wars site (www.starwars.com), and discovered this: www.starwars.com/episode-..._universe/

Expanded Universe characters listed on the same database as ones from the movie? Could this be saying something about the legitimacy of EU?
Old 04-23-2000, 09:49 PM   #2
bmilder

Re: EU?

Hmmm...

Well, there are two instances of EU being incorporated into the films that I recall, which you probably know about. The first is a brief shot of Dash Rendar's ship Outrider taking off from Tatooine in the Special Edition, and the second, of course, is Timothy Zahn's planet Coruscant from Heir to the Empire being used in Episode 1. So they don't completely disregard it.

Basically anything they need to rewrite for the movies they will, but otherwise it's up to us, the fans, to decide its legitimacy. For example, Boba Fett's EU past as "Jaster Mereel" will probably be s****ped, but that doesn't mean that everything else is junk. The EU has a lot of good material (Heir to the Empire, Young Han Solo Trilogy, etc.), and a lot of awful material (Black Fleet Crisis, anything with Callista ) but I don't see why some SW movie fans don't accept it.

Personally, I hope that Thrawn shows up in a cameo in Episode Two
Old 04-23-2000, 10:35 PM   #3
IronParrot

Anyone who's read my posts on the JC knows that I absolutely despise EU...
Old 04-24-2000, 11:26 AM   #4
anduin

Welcome to Entmoot Gurney.....in case you would like to know there is a small Dune discussion going on in General Fantasy....it has been a while since anyone has posted, but you may find it interesting.
Old 04-24-2000, 11:59 PM   #5
bmilder

IP, why do you despise the EU? I know there's a lot of boring junk, but there are quite a few gems and its' silly to disregard dozens of books, games, etc. in one stroke.
Old 04-25-2000, 12:19 AM   #6
Michael Martinez

There's supposed to be an official history book either in the works or just published which brings the expanded universe together with the films. I know I read about it on the official site, but dang me if I can recall what it was called.
Old 04-25-2000, 01:16 AM   #7
IronParrot

bmilder, I'm not saying I'm totally wiping all of it away. It's interesting to read some of the books like the Visual Dictionary, the cross-sections, etc. for the purposes of having trivia wars with others. I even play the Young Jedi card game, and I used to play the Star Wars CCG. I play the computer games as well. The books I never really took an interest in, but it's not them I'm bashing.

What I'm bashing is not the EU material by itself. It's just that I don't see it as being a legitimate part of the Star Wars saga, though it is a part of the Star Wars universe, if you know what I mean.
Old 04-25-2000, 11:00 PM   #8
Grand Admiral Reese

I've always felt that the EU is of just about the same legitimacy as the movies. Now that the Official Site includes a few characters, with more probably on the way, it just adds even more support to that.

The Star Wars Essential Chronology is already out, and it does a very good job of combining the EU, the OT, and TPM.
Old 04-26-2000, 03:09 AM   #9
IronParrot

I see Star Wars as a movie saga, and no more. When someone mentions Star Wars to me, I immediately think of the four films - or depending on the context, maybe A New Hope alone (which I still refer to simply as Star Wars in most cases).

And you can see where my distaste towards EU comes from, stemming from that...