Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-28-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
Maedhros
The Tall

Greatest of the Edain

I have seen this topic elsewhere and I just wanted to see the opinions of the members here.
Who do you think is the Greatest of the Edain?
I would say that it had to be Húrin the Steadfast, not only he was the greatest warrior among Men, but he endured the Gaze of Morgoth himself and his tortures for over 28 years, withouth hope of release or rescue.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Re: Greatest of the Edain

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
I have seen this topic elsewhere and I just wanted to see the opinions of the members here.
Who do you think is the Greatest of the Edain?
I would say that it had to be Húrin the Steadfast, not only he was the greatest warrior among Men, but he endured the Gaze of Morgoth himself and his tortures for over 28 years, withouth hope of release or rescue.
Hurin was a great man, but I think in the end my choice is either between Beren ad Turin. After all Beren did manage to win the hand of the most beautiful creature in Arda and with her help he did what even the Exiled Noldor couldn't do, and brought back a Silmaril from Morgoth's crown. Turin on the other hand had to go through so much...and in the end he ended up marrying his sister and killing himself...okay so maybe he isn't that great! But he is till pretty heroic...killg a dragon and all!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:27 AM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

And the father of Dragons, no less!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:43 AM   #4
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Has to be Hurin.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:10 AM   #5
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
but I think in the end my choice is either between Beren ad Túrin. After all Beren did manage to win the hand of the most beautiful creature in Arda and with her help he did what even the Exiled Noldor couldn't do, and brought back a Silmaril from Morgoth's crown. Túrin on the other hand had to go through so much...and in the end he ended up marrying his sister and killing himself...okay so maybe he isn't that great! But he is till pretty heroic...killing a dragon and all!
Beren is a pansy. When Sauron captured them and took of their disguises they were all afraid.
Húrin was captured in the Nirnaeth to allow the Hidden King to hide himself, and he took out the Troll guard of Gothmog.
From the Lays of Beleriand: The Second Version of the Children of Húrin
Quote:
Then Húrin answered, Hithlum's chieftain
his shining eyes with sheen of fire
in wrath were reddened: 'O ruinous one,
by fear unfettered I have fought thee long,
nor dread thee now, nor thy demon slaves,
fiends and phantoms, thou foe of Gods! '
His dark tresses, drenched and tangled,
that fell o'er his face he flung backward,
in the eye he looked of the evil Lord
since that day of dread to dare his glance
has no mortal Man had might of soul.
There the mind of Húrin in a mist of dark
neath gaze unfathomed groped and foundered,
yet his heart yielded not nor his haughty pride.

While his son Túrin a great warrior himself, was daunted by the eyes of a servant of Morgoth, Glaurung.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

What is the definition of great? To be fearless and strong? Or to know fear, and still have the courage to go forward to your doom? I rever more those who fall in the last category, so one point to Beren there. On the other hand, Beren was driven by his love to Luthien more than a wish to conquer Morgoth, while Hurin was acting on behalf of all people in Middle-Earth against Morgoth. One point to Hurin.

If I have to choose I would say Hurin. But it is a close race.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:41 PM   #7
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
What is the definition of great? To be fearless and strong? Or to know fear, and still have the courage to go forward to your doom? I rever more those who fall in the last category, so one point to Beren there. On the other hand, Beren was driven by his love to Luthien more than a wish to conquer Morgoth, while Hurin was acting on behalf of all people in Middle-Earth against Morgoth. One point to Hurin.

If I have to choose I would say Hurin. But it is a close race.
I guess I did overlook the fact that Beren was driven in his quest by the love of Lutien...still he was pretty courageous....Hurin was a great man as well.... I am not too familiar with HoME....hope to be soon so I wasn't aware that Hurin went through so much
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 01:20 PM   #8
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Tour was never perverted or tricked to evil purposes as were Hurin and Turin, but he had much better fortune in his life. He many year as an outlaw in the moutains of Mithrim do not compare with what Hurin endured before he partially succumbed to bitterness and foolishness (he well should had recognized he was being used by Morgoth). Beren was less able to stand up to Sauron, with much more hope than Hurin ever had, but never turned to bitterness . Overall I would have to say Hurin, Beren, then Tuor.
Turin is not even in the running for me, with his bloated ego and many time resulting bad behavior and ingratitude, and his self centered behavior at almost all turns.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 07:23 PM   #9
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Beren was less able to stand up to Sauron, with much more hope than Hurin ever had, but never turned to bitterness . Overall I would have to say Hurin, Beren, then Tuor.
Well, maybe if Beren had been imprisioned for over 28 years with Morgoth, he would have suffered a worst fate than Húrin.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 01-28-2003, 07:32 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Beren is a pansy. When Sauron captured them and took of their disguises they were all afraid.
Maedhros, um, what the heck is that supposed to mean? Are you calling Finrod a pansy too? I hope not, because them is fighten words pal.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:41 PM   #11
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Well, Elrond’s list, given during the Council, was:
Hador
Húrin
Túrin
Beren

Of these, Beren was the mightiest fighter and lover, but Hador of Dor-Lómin is my pick, “mightiest of the chieftains of the Dunedain” and “peer of Elven-lords,” with his people "mighty among the children of Ilúvatar in the youth of Mankind.” Also I like the Rohirrim, his descendants.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:49 PM   #12
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Beor, just for being so old.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:33 AM   #13
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Of these, Beren was the mightiest fighter and lover, but Hador of Dor-Lómin is my pick, “mightiest of the chieftains of the Dunedain” and “peer of Elven-lords,” with his people "mighty among the children of Ilúvatar in the youth of Mankind.” Also I like the Rohirrim, his descendants.
Beren was a greater fighter than Húrin? Noopers.
From the Published Silmarillon: Of the Ruin of Doriath
Quote:
But it is said that Húrin would not live thereafter, being bereft of all purpose and desire, and cast himself at last into the western sea; and so ended the mightiest of the warriors of mortal Men.
And his might of soul was greater than that of Beren.
Húrin could have wavered, he had no real hope of escape, no elf would rescue him, he was captured in the Nirnaeth so that the the hidden King could hide again, he could have turned into a slave of Morgoth, under tortures he didn't gave an inch. He endured 28 years in those conditions.
While Beren was afraid when he was revealed to Sauron, and he wasn't even tortured yet. And we are actually comparing the two?
Amazing!
Quote:
Maedhros, um, what the heck is that supposed to mean? Are you calling Finrod a pansy too? I hope not, because them is fighten words pal.
Finrod is irrelevant in this thread because he's not an edain. But even he was afraid when Sauron discovered them, while Húrin persisted against Morgoth for 28 years. It makes you wonder a bit.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Last edited by Maedhros : 01-29-2003 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:45 AM   #14
Maedhros
The Tall

From the Lays of Beleriand:The Children of Húrin
Quote:
Then the Lord of Hell lying-hearted
to where Húrin hung hastened swiftly,
and the Balrogs about him brazen-handed
with flails of flame and forged iron
there laughed as they looked on his lonely woe;
but Bauglir said: 'O bravest of Men,
'tis fate unfitting for thus fellhanded
warrior warfain that to worthless friends
his sword he should sell, who seek no more
to free him from fetters or his fall avenge.
While shrinking in the shadows they shake fearful
in the hungry hills hiding outcast
their league belying, lurking faithless,
he by evil lot in everlasting
dungeons droopeth doomed to torment
and anguish endless. That thy arms unchained
I had fainer far should a falchion keen
or axe with edge eager flaming
wield in warfare where the wind bloweth
the banners of battle -- such a brand as might
in my sounding smithies on the smitten anvil
of glowing steel to glad thy soul
be forged and fashioned, yea, and fair harness
and mail unmatched -- than that marred with flails
my mercy waiving thou shouldst moan enchained
neath the brazen Balrogs' burning scourges:
who art worthy to win reward and honour
as a captain of arms when cloven is mail
and shields are shorn, when they shake the hosts
of their foes like fire in fell onset.
Lo! receive my service; forswear hatred,
ancient enmity thus ill-counselled --
I am a mild master who remembers well
his servants' deeds. A sword of terror
thy hand should hold, and a high lordship
as Bauglir's champion, chief of Balrogs,
to lead o'er the lands my loud armies,
whose royal array I already furnish;
on Turgon the troll (who turned to flight
and left thee alone, now leaguered fast
in waterless wastes and weary mountains)
my wrath to wreak, and on redhanded
robber-Gnomes, rebels, and roaming Elves,
that forlorn witless the Lord of the World
defy in their folly -- they shall feel my might.
I will bid men unbind thee, and thy body comfort!
Go follow their footsteps with fire and steel,
with thy sword go search their secret dwellings;
when in triumph victorious thou returnest hither,
I have hoards unthought-of' -- but Húrin Thalion
suffered no longer silent wordless;
through clenched teeth in clinging pain,
'O accursed king', cried unwavering,
'thy hopes build not so high, Bauglir;
no tool am I for thy treasons vile,
who tryst nor troth ever true holdest--
seek traitors elsewhere.'
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 01-29-2003, 01:13 AM   #15
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Hey, one handed man, lay off the small type, will you? It's getting on my nerves.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:18 AM   #16
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Húrin was IMO the greatest man, because of most of of the reasons already mentioned.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:26 AM   #17
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
I'm thinking Hurin.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:43 AM   #18
Melkor's significant othe
Hobbit

Here's another vote for Hurin.......
Then Hador, Beren, Turin and Tuor in due order.
Melkor's significant othe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:03 AM   #19
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Lady of Ithilien
[B]Well, Elrond’s list, given during the Council, was:
Hador
Húrin
Túrin
Beren

Of these, Beren was the mightiest fighter and lover,

Errr....no. Hurin is the migtiest fighter. And lover? Is there a reference to how good they were in bed?
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:18 AM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros

Finrod is irrelevant in this thread because he's not an edain. But even he was afraid when Sauron discovered them, while Húrin persisted against Morgoth for 28 years. It makes you wonder a bit.
Well, you said that Beren and all of his companions were afraid, so you brought it into the thread. My take on this comparison is that yes, Beren and his companions were afraid because they knew their fate was to be mercilessly tortured and killed. I Hurin however did not face any ohysical torture or death. He was captured and made to watch the events of the curse laid upon him and his family unfold. However, I agree that was the greatest of the Edain.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote