mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Syd Barrett dead @ 60 (Pink Floyd)

http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/stor...n1790469.shtml

Pink Floyd Co-Founder Dead At 60
Syd Barrett Spent His Last Years In Reclusive Anonymity

Quote:
Originally Posted by (CBS/AP)
Syd Barrett, the troubled genius who co-founded Pink Floyd but spent his last years in reclusive anonymity, has died, a spokeswoman for the band said Tuesday. He was 60.

The spokeswoman — who declined to give her name until the band made an official announcement — confirmed media reports that he had died. She said Barrett died several days ago. She did not disclose the cause of death.

Online sources reported that Barrett died July 7 from complications from diabetes.

Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 with Roger Waters and wrote many of the band's early songs. The group's jazz-infused rock made them darlings of the London psychedelic scene, and the 1967 album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" — largely written by Barrett — was a commercial and critical hit.

Ex-Beatle Paul McCartney and The Who guitarist Pete Townshend are said to be fans of his early work.

Barrett's behavior grew increasingly erratic, and he left the group in 1968. He released two solo albums — "The Madcap Sessions" and "Barrett" in 1970.

He spent much of the rest of his life living quietly in his hometown of Cambridge, England.

The band spokeswoman said a small, private funeral would be held.

Although Syd has been in seclusion for many years, his influence on Pink Floyd was huge. I liked several of his lyrics to early Pink Floyd music. (See Emily Play, Bike and others.)

He will be missed by many in the music world.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

diamond geeza

rip.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Birdy Hop, he do! So long, Syd.

I really didn't like the quote from "his biographer". Aside from the fact that he never authorized a biography, the guy said he only lived half a life. *hisss* Just because he didn't let people into his life after 1970 doesn't mean he wasn't living it. Brother!

I played all my Floyd Syd songs at work. When I get home I'll play the solo albums and then watch Tonight Let's All Make Love in London... after the baseball game (I have priorities, LOL!)
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I'm heartbroken. Before, I had at least a very vague and unlikely hope for a Floyd reunion, even though Roger Waters was against it and Syd didn't even want to talk about the band once he'd gone into seclusion.

He'll be missed deeply around here...
Old 07-12-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

It's funny how it can be so sad when someone is not not there any more.

Syd was a classic barking genius. It makes me want to buy all those old albums that I only ever had on tape. The only one of his I've got on vinyl is Relics, a good one, but some of the live albums are unmissable.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:06 AM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've been playing The Piper at the Gates of Dawn on repeat all day. RIP dude.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I havent heard Crazy Diamond played so many times in one day in my life. Reminds me of the Teen Spirit onslaught when Kobain died. At least this one was actually written as a tribute to the man who they were playing it for. I can identify with his desire for seclusion. Another genius from the 60s dials it in...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #8
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

why do the great ones have to go first? TAKE GREEN DAY INSTEAD!!!
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
why do the great ones have to go first? TAKE GREEN DAY INSTEAD!!!
Sounds good. I probably could think of some more groups I would be willing to see go away.

(although is was highly improbable {and now impossible})
I always held hope that all of Pink Floyd would reunite for a few shows together or even put a new album out.

Live8 last year was great in that Pink Floyd (-Barrett) members were able to put their differences aside and play together for a cause they believed to be worthy.

Shine on You Crazy Diamond is (IMO) a great song to listen to while driving in the car.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #10
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Things to do if you could do if you miss Syd Barrett:

Consult the I Ching.
Sing a James Joyce poem to a melody of your own making.
Re-read The Wind in the Willows.
Kidnap a garden gnome and hide him on the riverbank. (Seriously, be so kind as to return him when his adventure is done.)
Try to understand how you cat thinks. Ask your cat if he'd like to go to sea.
Decorate you bike with things that make it look good. Let your friend ride it.
Strum one chord in rythm while making up short rhyming nonsense phrases.
Make a coloured pencil sketch of your backyard.
Stop speaking for one complete day.
Go barefoot.

But do not, whatever else you do, make Syd's mistake over again. Don't take LSD for a year without ever coming down! Not good.

Last edited by Elfhelm : 07-12-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Entertainment news-*moved*
Old 07-13-2006, 09:51 AM   #12
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r
(although is was highly improbable {and now impossible})
I always held hope that all of Pink Floyd would reunite for a few shows together or even put a new album out.
Since Syd has been out of the band since after the first album (the one song on the second album was a leftover), and their biggest albums were all made without Syd, a reunion is still possible, IMHO. But Waters would have to write the words, as he did for everything from Dark Side on. But Waters' words are all political now, and not very Floydian. So even a reunion wouldn't sound like Floyd. I think we are better off leaving them be. More harm than good would come from such a reunion. Staged for a few minutes for Live 8, that's as much as we'll ever get, or should.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #13
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

David Gilmour's been writing his own songs also, and they're Floyd-worthy. Hopefully, Barrett's death will shock Waters into perspective again, and maybe he'll finally acknowledge that Pink Floyd is a band, that should stick together and rock, and not a group of his minions.

Elfhelm, I loved that list!
Old 07-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #14
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Did he participate in the Live 8 concert reunion?
Old 07-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #15
Huorn
Elven Warrior

It has been ions since I have heard a Pink Floyd song. That hearkens back to high school. Yeah take Green Day instead of Pink Floyd!

Just call me Oakie
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:54 AM   #16
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

In answer to Fin's question: no. He probably didn't even watch it on the telly.

Given the choice, I'd probably agree Entwife, though it might depend on my mental state. Whatever, Syd Barrett was probably more influential in one album than 99.9% of pop acts are in their entire career.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #17
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Geez whats with all the Green Day bashing? Is this how we honor Syds death? Come on theres tons other artists/groups that should be higher on the I HOPE THEY DIE list then Green Day if you must make one at all for this occasion.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #18
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Traffic wardens anyone?

.. yes, an artists should die list does seem a bit odd to the memory of Syd...

best BB
Old 07-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #19
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
David Gilmour's been writing his own songs also, and they're Floyd-worthy. Hopefully, Barrett's death will shock Waters into perspective again, and maybe he'll finally acknowledge that Pink Floyd is a band, that should stick together and rock, and not a group of his minions.

Elfhelm, I loved that list!
Ay, Bomb,

I have been keeping up with David Gilmour's solo work, as well as Roger's. I have it all. Syd, too.

We disagree about Gilmour. I don't think he should be putting the Floyd name on his work. There are many people who agree with you and many who agree with me. It's a split.

As for Waters, he wrote an opera recently. Not sure the other guys in the old band can keep pace with him, even if they do have cool classic race cars. And that's another split.

Syd has been painting. I bet when they opened his Mom's old place after his death they found a lot of paintings. It's time to bring them out into the light.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Waters and Gilmour to work together. They just don't like each other. Nobody is to blame. They are better off apart. I don't understand why people want bands to stay together when it's just mentally unhealthy.

Just look at the Beatles. Before they broke up, one album a year, and it was a struggle for them to do that. After they broke up, it was like a dam burst. In the first 5 years, they put out more albums collectively than they ever did together. I wouldn't want to change that. Especially all the awesome stuff from George, and John stopped making crazy stuff, and Paul wrote for the movies, and Ringo began his All Starr thing. Breaking up can be good. Things can change. It's OK.

Last edited by Elfhelm : 07-18-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #20
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

...thats' what i said to my ex ...